What are your thoughts about satillo tile? Kitchen ideas?
osborneco
We live in Iowa and would have to ship the satillo tile or travel a long way to purchase. Before taking the plunge, we're not sure about the purchase or if we should go with regular tile. If we purchase satillo, do we choose sealed or unsealed, manganese or not, shape? Is it difficult to care for? We have a large kitchen, no cabinets yet and no sheetrock on the walls. We're pretty much open for ideas what to do with the space.
loves2read
Why do you want Saltillo tile if you don't have a Spanish/Mediterranean look to your kitchen?
Saltillo is pretty specific for theme and also pretty individualistic in that most people would not rate it their best choice for tile...
We had it for while in our kitchen but when we did a bigger remodel, we took it up and went with larger format tiles throughout the house...
The trend is for larger format tiles--Saltillo is not that large.
It is also a specific color vs a neutral...

I am not saying not to choose it--but you are paying a premium for that choice from what you said...
Are you sure you will be happy with it for a long time?
Will it look out of place in an open living area?
October 6, 2013 at 9:43am   
loves2read
AND Saltillo can crack easier than a harder-fired tile...making it more susceptible to damage and then you have to worry about repair or replacing which is not easy...
October 6, 2013 at 9:45am   
sstarr
Exactly what loves2read said.
It is a dated look, not strong, and not right for your design.

However the good news is, that there are so many fantastic options out there right now from tilemakers, that you can create almost any effect you like, from huge stone slabs to the appearance of hardwood or even petrified wood. And tile comes in many more sizes these days, with many options in very large formats, which give a beautiful result.

Unfortunately in Iowa you may not have access to tile stores which carry a large selection of current options. You should use an experienced designer to advise you, or do your research online.
October 6, 2013 at 9:54am   
Lathrem Homebuilders, LLC
Something to keep in mind with Saltillo tile is it will not breath very well with the typical sealers used with it. If you are going to consider it or any other low permeable flooring you should do a moisture test on the floor prior to making your decision.
October 6, 2013 at 9:58am   
osborneco
I sincerely appreciate your input!!!!

My husband and I love the warm feeling of the Spanish look/colors. That's why we were excited when we discovered satillo, we liked the color ----and the price. (Lost everything to a fire, little insurance, so we have to watch funds so very carefully while rebuilding ourselves.) I would be devasted to spend money on satillo then discover problems, or we didn't like it.

We have an entire kitchen, living room and office that needs tile. Because of in-floor heating in concrete, my husband doesn't want wood floors. He worries about moisture. (There is no basement.) Considering our love for color, is there something you can suggest? We are kind of at a standstill on our timberframe house. We've visited a tile store 80 miles away but wind up just walking around. We can't even decide on porcelain, ceramic, to put different tiles in different areas of the house or having the entire lower floor the same. We're stuck!
October 6, 2013 at 10:38am   
unwantedadvice
Looks like you are going to have a beautiful kitchen and adjoining rooms. Why not have your concrete floors stained? It can be scored to look like larger tiles, etc, or just left smooth. You could pick a color that mimics the Saltillo tiles you like. Just a thought since it looks like you still have a ways to go before completion. :))
October 6, 2013 at 11:49am     
nlhome
What did you end up doing? Found this discussion doing a search on saltillo, which we are going to put in our kitchen with gray barnwood cabinets. Love it, nothing else like it! Not a fan of modern :)
December 2, 2013 at 10:55am   
osborneco
What did we end of up doing? We built a rock chimney instead. We haven't touched the kitchen. :( We just came back from our daughter's wedding in Arizona. While we were there we checked on satillo tile. People that have it in their houses like the look of satillo, but if asked if they'd put it in again, most say no.

We found another tile while we were in Arizona: Cotto Della Rosa Manfredi porcelain tile. It's beautiful. Unfortunately we can't find it in Iowa. We just can't make up our minds and don't want to do anything until we're sure. It seems everything we really like is unavailable in our state and would cost a fortune to ship. We just can't make up our minds and don't want to do anything until we're sure. Staining the concrete floors was a good option. In fact we did some staining in our old house, but my husband has his mind set on tile.

I'm not good at designing. I wish we could call in a designer, but funds are in short supply. (The only reason why we're rebuilding is we lost our home in a fire.) So.....guess we'll keep looking.

Good luck with your project nlhome! I'd really enjoy hearing about your decision!
December 18, 2013 at 6:03am   
I would not invest in Saltillo tile. You look is more rustic with the wood ceilings. Stay in that. I would do something in the reclaimed wood or barn wood. Use subway or glass tile for backsplash. Use afa rm house sink in white. Counters granite or a poured cement, would work lighting ck Restoration Hardware, for furn and lights like pendants. Pulls n a rubbed bronze, Appl all match in stainless. Or black.
December 19, 2013 at 8:27am   
Always use same flooring though out. If you want the Spanish look on floors a terra cotta 14" tile would work. Or a reclaimed wood look distressed wide planks. Wood is nice, moister is not a problem. They lay moister material dn first. Look at pics. Of room. Here on Houzz, to get ideas. It's a big project. And can seem overwhelming. Maybe get a decorator who charges by the hour, take her to flooring store, maybe just a 3 rd opinion will get you pass this.
December 19, 2013 at 8:33am   
Just noticed this is a old post Oct. So hope you have done it by now. Good luck.
December 19, 2013 at 8:34am   
Elyn's Library
Personally, I think the idea of stained concrete would be the most versatile and budget friendly. But if your heart is set on some sort of tile, have you considered the thousands of options in wood-look tile? There are all kinds of shapes, colors and configurations of tiles available that look like all kinds of wood.

We have saltillo tile in our downstairs. I love it and it is appropriate for us here in California, and for the rooms we have it in. BUT - it stains easily, cracks and scratches easily, is very irregular and can be challenging to clean. I would never recommend it for any high traffic area like a kitchen and adjacent rooms.

There are lots of ideas for wood look tile here on Houzz - http://www.houzz.com/wood_look-tile
December 19, 2013 at 8:42am   
bananamamma
Try this - great prices for large jobs like yours and beautiful products with reviews! http://www.builddirect.com/ oh and they deliver and will send you samples before hand so you don't have to drive 80 miles again!
December 19, 2013 at 8:56am   
HomeScapes San Diego
We've had Saltillo tile in several homes - there are different types available from different vendors - in one case we brought it up from Mexico (we are in So. California) - every time we used it we had problems with it (sealing, cracking, wear on the surface) - and I still love the look - Home Depot had a nice porcelain tile that resembled Saltillo that would be a nice substitute - old quarry tile or something with that look also approximates Saltillo - but for the room you posted I think a large Travertine or porcelain or ceramic-look Travertine would work wonderfully in that space - laid on the diagonal - good luck!
December 19, 2013 at 9:21am   
Whats your thought about that tiles?
I just finished that bathroom, its inexpensive tiles,...
Your thoughts on kitchen ideas?
Actually we have come up with an idea's going to be...
Need Your Ideas: What do you like about this new kitchen remodel?
Some kitchens have a lot of personality. Lighting,...
Which would look better in this space?
This is how I currently have my living room arranged....
Pendants and chandelier (s) for remodeled kitchen and dining room?
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we need...
Recessing lighting placement on large covered patio
I have attached a diagram of how I think the lighting/fans...