Selling My House: Staging Tips?
Deborah Sullivan
I recently put my house on the market, so far there are no nibbles. I am in a pretty good position as I do not need to sell, but I have decided that I want to downsize and also would prefer to be in a different town, closer to more of the activities I enjoy.

With all that said, once I finished dithering and decided to try and sell, I now want it done! I don't like this limbo feeling.

Any ideas of how I could stage my house a bit better would be appreciated. I am attaching some of the pictures from the listing. Not sure if matters, but I'm located in Southern New Hampshire.

-Debbie
Deborah Sullivan
Some more pictures.
October 6, 2013 at 4:00PM   
Deborah Sullivan
One more
October 6, 2013 at 4:01PM   
elklaker
Great house. Love your floors. A few things...first-I would take the panels out of the kitchen area and put one set on the window in the living room (may need to move star). Remove the basket by the fireplace (tripping hazard). Neatly make your bed (sorry-Pet peeve) and add a colorful throw pillow or two or three. Remove table and folding stool/chairs in kitchen. Keep things open. Get smaller coffee table in place of ottoman. No room to walk. Add color pillows to couch. These things sound picky but, trust me, people notice. Good luck!
October 6, 2013 at 4:17PM     
klfische
Debbie,

I am a PROFESSIONAL Home Stager..........Please listen carefully and you will sell your home FAST...........Please understand that I RARELY comment...............My goal is not hurt your feelings but make your home looks it's BEST..........

Master Bedroom,

Please make your bed in such a way that it looks like a hotel bed.........I would strongly suggest a throw at the end of the bed.........have your throw and some accent pillows that pull the colors of the picture over your bed............

Open up those curtains............make certain your windows are clean and the window tracks are clean...............

I would replace the curtains........the tab style is dated............I would hang a panel on each side of the window and have the curtain just touch the window side.........hang the curtains from the ceiling and make certain they touch the floor..............

Please make certain that your linens, comforter are clean and your floors are clean and do NOT have any knick knacks on your side tables...........make certain you have high watt light bulbs.............If you have any other furniture, pictures REMOVE............all you need is a well made bed and focal point over the bed - 2 side tables and 2 lamps............remove the rugs.........buyers want to see beautiful shiny floors...........

Make this room look like a 5 star hotel room...........

Dining Area

Get rid of EVERTHING on your dining table...........you do NOT need it.........remove the folding chairs............remove that console table............you do not need it...............have your window panels match..........hang them high and wider than your window glass and for heaven's sake - please have them touch the floor..............remove that "triangle wall thing that is hung between your 2 windows..............remove the picture that is between the LR and the DR

Kitchen

Remove EVERTHING from the kitchen counters (except microwave) - this is an area that people want to see counter space and you do not need knick knacks...........

Living Room

Remove the rug.................remove all the photos...............remove the knick knacks...............remove the star......................remove the basket...........remove the leather ottoman.......the ottoman interrupts the flow of this room..............I would keep the sofa and the chair in the corner and the side tables and the lamps...........I would hang ONE picture over the mantel and have it be the biggest picture you can and leave the mantel surface empty...........I would get a throw and some accent pillows for your sofa to reflect the colors of the focal picture................you have too much stuff on your walls..........get rid of all the fireplace stuff..........the pillow on the chair is too big............I would probably bring 2 armless chairs to complete the sofa................and I would probably put another small armless chair instead of having only 1 chair in that corner..............raise that roman shade.............you want your home to appear light and bright and spacious and meticulous

Please clean your home from ceiling to baseboard................buyers are PICKY......they want a "show house"...................

Please look at web sites..................that have a check list on how to stage your home from outside to inside................

Finally - how we live and how we show our home when we sell it are 2 VERY different things.................you need to make these changes NOW and have photos retaken and placed on the real estate sites..............

First impressions from these pictures posted - would not sell your home...............

Again, my objective is not to upset you................my goal is for you to sell your home FAST...........

Get busy!
October 6, 2013 at 4:49PM     
The photos you presented are perfectly fine for selling the house. Agreed with adding some colors int he living room and bedroom.
October 6, 2013 at 4:51PM   
meagan434
looks really good...only suggestions:

- make bed look like something out of pottery barn
- remove family room ottoman
- remove step ladders in kitchen
- add a cocktail like setting in the sun run

good luck!
October 6, 2013 at 5:02PM   
Angel18432
You home looks pretty neat and tidy - not a lot of excess "stuff" around like a lot of pics we have seen.

The bed really needs to be worked on. Buy a new set that you can take with you.

Lovely sun room. Take the drapes down from the kitchen to sun room.
October 6, 2013 at 5:04PM     
edithsmom
Great advice from klfisch...especially regarding having new pics taken by realtor after you make those minor changes. Very little money needs to be spent...just time.
October 6, 2013 at 5:16PM   
Sun room very nice. Open all panels on windows let the light in. Bring chair in living rm up to sofa area. Open that shade 1/3 up. Kitchen is good add 2 inexpensive bar stools to counter. People love seating. In bedroom tuck your comforter in all the way around. Fold back at top 1/4 dn add toss pillows in a red. Get a red throw for foot of bed. If you have a bench place at foot of bed. You could get a bigger lamp for night stand. Open windows burn candles in bathrm and kitchen. Have music playing. All lights turned on. Remove all clutter like ladders, and calendar on wall. Remove family pictures. Remove items from firepl. Put black ottoman under window. Put that small table by chair in front of sofa to the side. Have a bottle of wine and a glass sitting on it. Add nice bowl of fruit like green apples on table in dining. Add a fur brown throw to sofa. It's very clean, that is a good thing.
October 6, 2013 at 5:18PM   
janeinfo
I want to chime in here. My husband and I have sold 3 houses in 3 states. We have owned 4. The first one, we made sure our home was clean and well maintained. It took 6 months to sell in a pretty decent market. After that, the company my husband worked for transferred us and brought in an expert on staging homes. She told us to take down ALL family photos first thing. Then, take at least 1/3 of everything out of each room. It seemed empty to us, but we did as she said. We were also told to interview at least 5 different realtors. We were moving along with 60 other families to another state. The market was flooded with "For Sale" signs. We had 3 offers before noon on the first day. Got above asking price. Our last house we sold was just two years ago in October. (A month when realtors told us it would probably take 90 days to sell our home in the then-current market). We applied the advice we got from the home sale before and our home had two offers the first day and sold in 5 days with an almost asking-price offer. I am telling you this story to say we got GREAT advice from a home stager. It has been our experience they know what they are talking about. It still seems like our homes were empty, but so far, that home stager is 2 for 2. Good Luck!
October 6, 2013 at 5:20PM     
After you make changes have realtor taken new pics. People look on Internet at pictures if not staged people won't call. Make sure your realtor has it priced right see comp for your area. If on the market for a long time might need to find a more aggressive realtor.
October 6, 2013 at 5:21PM     
Living room: remove EVERYTHING but the sofa, rug and put the dark painting over the sofa.

Kitchen: remove EVERYTHING.

Bedroom: remove curtains. Find better bedding.

Porch: remove coffee table and all the pillows.
October 6, 2013 at 5:26PM   
I have worked as a stager and worked on model homes for builders. Window treatment is important. Go neutral, but spend some money. If a single family house make sure it has curb appeal . So invest in that too. Believe me any furn you buy goes with you. And any monies on flowers and paint are returned in monies you get for house.
October 6, 2013 at 5:30PM     
indianpatti
Lots of great advice here!

Your home looks clean and there's not a lot of clutter: awesome!

I would remove everything from on top of all cabinets .. box up all your knick knacks and remove from the house.

All else has been said .. good luck!
October 6, 2013 at 5:31PM   
Judy M
Get a fluffy comforter and place it in a duvet with 2 matching shams (get something you like cuz you will take it with you) and make bed like this.
Sheet and top blanket tucked in tight and near under mattress.
Duvet folded at foot of bed.
Keep A couple long lasting flowers in a small vase on night stand.

October 6, 2013 at 5:33PM     
October 6, 2013 at 5:35PM   
Judy M
And don't forget the front door area. Potential buyers often do a drive by before deciding if they want to see inside.
Of there is a garage, clean it now, don't wait until the sale. Get rid of anything you don't want to take with you. Store everything else neatly on shelves.
Don't forget your closets and cabinets, people look everywhere.
October 6, 2013 at 5:46PM   
bschr
I couldn't help but notice you have a few air conditioners in you home. Do you need the old one by the sliding glass door? I'm sure it's a bit of work to remove but it appears that you have a new one next to it.
October 6, 2013 at 6:03PM     
Panache Interior Design
Did you have any luck selling your home after getting all those great suggestions?
November 4, 2013 at 9:23AM   
My House Has Been on the Market for Too Long! 5 Tips For Selling
It has been a seller’s market in Houston since January,...
GARAGE STAGING TIPS TO HELP SELL YOUR HOME
Getting ready to sell your house? If you want to make...
How do you stage a house to sell it?
I'm getting ready to put my house on the market and...
Selling our home and need help stage our house!
I have a small apartment size sofa with gold slipcovers....
Tips on how to make a house sell quickly
I think my house is perfect, however it is not selling...
Tile for shower in master bathroom, pre Reno Delma,,"!,
My wife and designer want to do a large tile with marble...
What decorations should I put on the blue wall
This is a panoramic picture of my bedroom as well as...
Siding is going up! Need to figure out color!! HELP
This house sits out in the flat fields not too far...
Need to hide my neighbors fence
Hi I need help to hide my neighbors fence. Every time...