Need help with living room
Manuel Mas
Hi:

I'm just moving in on my new apartment. Already have sofa and dining table set but I can't settle for a rug or table for living room. Any suggestions?
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
There is no color, no pattern, and the floor is cold and institutional. I would start with a large area rug with a colorful bold abstract pattern and get some throw pillows for the sofa to match a color in the rug. Then pick a paint color forthe walls from the rug color. This would be a starting point in your design. Then you can pick some lounge chairs, coffee and end tables,etc.
If this seems overwhelming you could hire an interior designer to help.
Pyramid DG.com
October 6, 2013 at 8:27PM     
Manuel Mas
I am renting the apartment. Can't paint walls. I was looking to start with a rug for now. Any ideas on color? I thought going with a beige or gray one was the "modern" thing to do. Thanks!
October 6, 2013 at 8:31PM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
The rug should be bold and colorful........As Pyramid Design Group suggested, a rug with a bold pattern. The rug should be as large as possible, probably an 8 x 10 or 10 x 12 if possible. Add throw pilows for the couch in bold colors found in the rug.
Buy a coffe table that is a neutral color that works with the rest of the room.
Also buy two chairs to place facing your couch. Two bright colored chairs with a color from the rug would add color and fun to the space........
October 7, 2013 at 6:32AM     
Manuel Mas
Any recommendations on rug color? I was looking into beige but I guess that isn't the best idea.
October 7, 2013 at 6:46AM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
You can choose any rug that appeals to you. Contemporary designs will look especially good with bright colors. Once you have the rug you can use the same colors for pillows for the couch. Do you have a wall for a large piece of art? The art can repeat some of the colors in the rug ...
October 7, 2013 at 7:03AM     
Manuel Mas
Do you have any suggestions on pattern? I don't have much to spend so I was sticking to IKEA but perhaps you have other suggestions.
October 7, 2013 at 7:09AM     
Manuel Mas
Would something like this work? That's my sofa, the West Elm Jackson Sectional.
October 7, 2013 at 7:14AM     
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
IKEA is great. Pick something that is bright and bold and that appeals to you. They had some modern patterns with red a while back. I haven't shopped there lately so I'm not sure. Get the largest one you can. You can get pillows there too.
October 7, 2013 at 7:15AM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I love the red chair in the photo that you posted... You could go with a more neutral rug if you want
October 7, 2013 at 7:17AM   
Karen Black
Based on your color scheme that you have going on now, I would guess that you would prefer a rug that ties the room together, more than a bright, bold, contrasting rug. Right now, I think the main issue with your space is that it seems cold. I would suggest a warm neutral colored rug, and maybe some decorative throw pillows to make the space look a little more comfortable. Lighting also has a huge impact on how the space is perceived. Your lights are yellow tinted, which gives a different effect than a white light would on your white walls/tile. Often yellow tint will give a warm and residential feel, while the white tint will give a modern and commercial effect. It all depends on how you want to convey your space! I noticed most of your furniture is Ikea. I was just there last weekend, and saw The "Dioder", which is a small LED light diode, which is very energy efficient, and have multipurpose. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80192378/
I think your space would look great with a large modern piece of art on the blank wall near your dining table, to direct your eyes around the space. You could use the Dioder or other types of LED diodes for accent light that emphasizes your favorite aspects of your new space. Good luck and happy designing!
October 7, 2013 at 7:21AM   
Manuel Mas
Lampert:

Thanks for the ideas. As for rugs, I was looking at these ones:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10222519/#/70222521
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20210356/ (it could be a tad small)
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=80259302
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=50163792 (there's a smaller version as well)
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=10185673
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=20203563

Do you guys prefer high pile or flat rugs?

Karen:

So you think I should put white lights everywhere? Where would you place the Dioder? How would I hide them?
October 7, 2013 at 8:54AM   
Those rugs from IKEA.pr are really pretty boring. Don't know if homedecorators.com ships to there but I think you need some latin excitement.
October 7, 2013 at 2:33PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hola! Not every room needs to have colour. If you're comfortable and want a more neutral design then go for it. I do find the rugs you posted are very dull though. Colour doesn't have to be bold. These rugs from IKEA add colour and pattern without being overwhelming.
October 7, 2013 at 3:11PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Some curtains with a subtle pattern would make the room feel less sterile. These would go with any of the rugs I posted. These throw pillows add just a little bit of colour without being too bold. All from IKEA.
October 7, 2013 at 3:14PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
A round coffee table would add more shape to all the straight lines and some wood accent tables to bring in some warmth. Again from IKEA. Just a side note......the couch would look better if you moved it forward (away from the wall).
October 7, 2013 at 3:16PM   
Manuel Mas
Lydia: Thanks for all the input. I was looking at that round coffee table but thought that it was too similar to my dining table and added even more to the lack of color and sterility. What do you think?
October 7, 2013 at 4:47PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
My pleasure! That's a good point and it is one way of looking at it or the coffee table can be seen as flowing with the dining room and creating a leaner look. The wooden accent tables do bring in some warmth but you can have a wooden coffee table instead. It really depends on what ambiance you want to create. I do think a round coffee table would be better because your couch seems small. I like the idea of bringing in an upholstered chair with some colour like in the West Elm image you posted. Also, adding a rug (and possibly some curtains) will instantly make the room feel cozier and less sterile. I only looked at IKEA though.
October 7, 2013 at 5:53PM   
Manuel Mas
I like the patterns you recommended from IKEA but their dimensions run in the small side. Will that do for that area?

These are my sofa's dimensions: 88"w x 60"d x 35".
October 7, 2013 at 6:07PM   
Suzette Sherman Design
I'm not a big fan of big bold rugs. They feel dated to me. You have a lot of square footage and rugs are pricey for what may look like a postage stamp on the floor. Consider buying yard goods in a solid or texture and bind with cotton binding. You can do this at a local carpet supplier. Then the rug is less costly, bigger and can be easily recut when you move if need be.
October 7, 2013 at 6:18PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Sorry.....your couch seemed smaller but 7' is a standard size. These rugs are 9' or 11' in length so your couch would fit comfortably. I selected this other one that could also work well. And like I mentioned earlier, move the couch away from the wall and center it with the tv. This will create a more defined space.
October 7, 2013 at 6:43PM     
Manuel Mas
The choices on www.ikea.pr are pretty thin. That Stockholm rug looks great but its pricy at $415. I'm trying to stick with the $100-$150 price range.
October 7, 2013 at 8:29PM   
Manuel Mas
What about the 5x8 option of this West Elm rug?
October 7, 2013 at 8:46PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The Stockholm rug from IKEA was my favourite also! But I understand about having a budget. I actually like the one from West Elm and the size would work. Good choice! Do you have a budget for the coffee table?
October 8, 2013 at 8:03AM   
Manuel Mas
I was trying to stick to the 100-150 range. I had seen that round one at Ikea or a much cheaper option:
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=10104295 (the light brown one)
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=30157103 (not sure if another metallic/white furniture would be a good idea)
October 8, 2013 at 11:24AM   
Put some color on floor like a big 8 x10 peacock color. Add same to pillows on sofa . Coffee table 24" round or square only. In glass or dark wood.
October 8, 2013 at 11:28AM   
What's on dining wall.? A console? If so center on wall add a very big colorful contemporary art piece hang very low. Same in living area on wall.big art 40x40 lots of color. Your are on right track, keep up the good work. Overstock has nice rugs. Ikea for tables. Z Galleries for art or accessories. Use silver a lot. In pillows also. West Elm for furn. You could use a modern chair in a color or print. To side of sofa.
October 8, 2013 at 11:33AM   
Add big silver bowl to dining table fill with green apples.
October 8, 2013 at 11:34AM   
What is light wall item by TV? Add a big palm instead. Nothing on media for TV.
October 8, 2013 at 11:35AM   
A light wood sofa table 5ft.behind sofa. Add tall pots 3 group in a bold colors.Ikea has.
October 8, 2013 at 11:37AM   
Erica M.
Try Target. I'm getting a huge rug for 250. They have them in your price range, and free 25 dollar gift cards with over 125 this week. Free shipping with a Red card.
October 8, 2013 at 11:38AM   
Ikea also has good price. No need to pay a lot for a rug. Walmart, Target, TJMax. All have then. Craigslist.
October 8, 2013 at 11:40AM   
Erica M.
Check out the Maples Fretwork Area Rug in blue, they have beige too, I like the blue. 7 x 10 is 149.00 at Target
October 8, 2013 at 11:43AM   
You can furnish your room on a budget at Ikea, but you need some color and softness. Here's a little trick: Ikea's rugs are small, so get two and put them side by side. You'll end up with bigger than 8 x 10 at a tiny price.
October 8, 2013 at 1:13PM     
Manuel Mas
Not a bad idea groveraxle. How did you do that (adding stuff on the picture?)

I am seriously considering the West Elm rug. The problem is I live in Puerto Rico which reduces the amount of stuff I can get shipped here. I could try a re-shipper.
October 8, 2013 at 2:35PM   
Manuel Mas
Travisinteriors:

Thanks for all the great ideas. That think on the dining wall is an air conditioning unit.

What do you mean by light wall item by TV? As for the lamp next to the sofa, I really like it. Hope it can be made part of the final design.

My living room is around 19 feet wide x 13 feet long from TV wall to the end of where the sofa is right now ( the wall next to sliding door not counting dining space).
October 8, 2013 at 2:38PM   
Manuel Mas
Curtains are a great idea but it being a rented apartment, I don't want to meddle much with fixing stuff into walls.
October 8, 2013 at 2:39PM     
No curtains? OK. Poof, gone! How about a console under the window, then, to hold your objet d'art?
October 8, 2013 at 4:40PM     
BTW, I replaced your lamp with the Ikea Dudero because the one you have adds to the coldness of the space.
October 8, 2013 at 4:42PM   
Manuel Mas
I was thinking of a console underneath the window to place objects/books/magazines/movies. I have yet to settle on a color.
October 8, 2013 at 4:53PM   
Manuel Mas
What is that console you placed there?
October 8, 2013 at 4:53PM   
Manuel Mas
As for rug, I really like the West Elm one attached here. Only problem is I have to see if they are willing to bring it in to my local West Elm. Neither Overstock or HomeDepot will ship to PR either. Target let me continue the checkout process accepting my PR address so that could be an option.

Any other options from Target or someplace that might ship to PR?
October 8, 2013 at 5:10PM     
Manuel Mas
Do yo guys recommend this as the center coffee table or the glass/white one? Are there cheaper, similar options?
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=10239713
October 8, 2013 at 5:15PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
It's great if you can order something online but make sure to add shipping, customs (not sure that would apply) and applicable taxes to your overall budget price. You mentioned several times liking the West Elm rug so go for it! Hopefully they can ship it to your local store. I still like the glass coffee table. I had suggested those wooden ones as side tables cause they seem small but if one is big enough for a coffee table it would add a warmer element to the room. Although I do like the mix of glass and wood. As for the console table, I find that all your furniture is already low (and you have one in the dining room) so I suggest taller shelving. The window already fills up that wall so putting the shelving on the wall where your lamp is would balance out the room better. Something with colour to contrast the white wall. These are from IKEA of course! I know you didn't want colour in the rug but perhaps you would consider this cabinet. ;)
October 8, 2013 at 5:34PM     
Manuel Mas
Lydia: Thanks for the ideas again. Don't you find that area beneath the window to be a bit bare? By the way that space is around 5 feet from the sofa to the window and 12-13 from wall to wall.
October 8, 2013 at 5:42PM   
Manuel Mas
As for coffee tables, you all seem to like round tables better, be them glass or dark brown.
October 8, 2013 at 5:43PM   
Design By Viktoria
Manuel, you seem to be leaning toward very "safe" colors. You post mostly grey and beige choices. Think of what your favorite color is, rather than the color that goes with everything. Take your favorite, green, blue, red,,, you get the point. Start from there. If you are afraid to make a wrong choice on a big item, go with a neutral, and get some bold color that you really like in accents that are not expensive - pillows, a colorful throw/blanket for the sofa, a shade for your lamp or a big picture that you can put on an easel if you don't want to hang it up on a wall. Go to a local market or to the tourist spot where local artists sell their goods. These are usually colorful and fun. Whatever you do, make sure you really like the individual items. Good luck.
October 8, 2013 at 5:48PM   
Manuel Mas
By the way, again there are no consoles on that space, only the air conditioning unit on the dining wall.

Thanks "Design by Viktoria". My favorite color is blue and gray, that's why I'm trying to post some things that carry some aspect of that. But yes, I'm tending to the neutral side of things and hoping the accessories (blankets/pillows) bring more life to the area.
October 8, 2013 at 5:52PM     
gchestnut1403
I like to see and after photo. With all your suggestions it should look awesome! You look young...
go for it, enjoy.
October 8, 2013 at 5:54PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The whole room is bare.....lol! Did you move the couch forward and centered? When I look at the room as a whole everything seems low which is why I suggested some height. Start by getting a rug and coffee table and you'll see how it fills up the room. Then take it from there. Sorry about the "console table" in the dining room......that's a huge A/C!! I had read your post but I thought you meant the small window was the A/C.
October 8, 2013 at 6:11PM   
Manuel Mas
What's the name of that tall blue bookcase?
October 8, 2013 at 6:18PM   
October 8, 2013 at 6:44PM   
Manuel Mas
I will try to get the rug tomorrow and go from there. I like the blue bookcase. Still trying to decide on round coffee table, likely leaning with a wood colored one but need to find a cheap one at IKEA.
October 8, 2013 at 7:43PM   
Here is the console I put under the window: http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=00251809
October 8, 2013 at 8:58PM   
bryght.com
Take a look at the Strip coffee table from Bryght
http://www.bryght.com/product/87/strip-cocoa-wood-coffee-table
October 8, 2013 at 9:06PM     
Here is your West Elm rug in the space:
October 8, 2013 at 9:10PM     
Manuel Mas
Well, here it is folks. First step: bough the rug. Don't know if you will all agree since it's not vivid in colors. I guess I now need to add color by way of accessories:
https://plus.google.com/107831453680182133736/posts/6qj1W8szT99

And the attached links.
October 9, 2013 at 4:11PM     
Manuel Mas
Now, my next step is the coffee table. Do you think the round glass coffee table is still the way to go, or should I go for light wood? Round or square?
October 9, 2013 at 4:14PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I like it! Are you happy with your choice? A round coffee table would break up all the lines (there's even more now with the rug). I like either the glass or wood but I suggest dark wood not light. A darker wood would be warmer.
October 9, 2013 at 4:37PM        Thanked by Manuel Mas
Manuel Mas
So far so good Lydia. I thought of light brown because all colors are too dark at the moment. Won't a dark brown add to that vibe? You're the expert, let me know.
October 9, 2013 at 4:47PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
There really aren't that many dark colours. The room is all white including the floor. By dark wood I mean something like these tables not darker.
October 9, 2013 at 5:04PM   
Manuel Mas
Perhaps I'm seeing it all dark because I have my curtains down all the time.

I love those yet I'm trying to find a cheaper option.
October 9, 2013 at 5:06PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
So am I......lol! What do you think of this one from IKEA? It has texture and different finishes giving the room a West Elm feel. You could even put two.
October 9, 2013 at 5:23PM     
Manuel Mas
What's the model?
October 9, 2013 at 5:24PM   
October 9, 2013 at 5:26PM   
Manuel Mas
It's 20 inches tall, I think that's taller than the sofa. Otherwise I like it.
October 9, 2013 at 5:28PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I thought the height of the couch was 35"? Is that with the arms?
October 9, 2013 at 5:33PM   
Manuel Mas
Yes, I would need to measure it later on but I think the sitting space may reach 2 feet.
October 9, 2013 at 5:34PM   
Manuel Mas
The clearance is 8 inches. Maybe add 8-10 more inches of cushions/sofa.
October 9, 2013 at 5:37PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Sorry......I realized after that 35" is the back of the couch. So the seating of the couch is 22" high?
October 9, 2013 at 5:39PM   
Manuel Mas
Can't give you an exact number right now. I just know the new coffee table you posted would be at the same height or 1-2 inches taller. Would that be OK?
October 9, 2013 at 5:42PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Same height would be perfect! 1 or 2 inches higher wouldn't make a big difference. Here's an image of a table slightly higher than the couch.
October 9, 2013 at 7:46PM     
Manuel Mas
Well I'm between that last one and the tainted white/chrome one.

If I was to place a bit of light color in there, how would I do it and what colors would be OK? Place something on coffee table? Pillows? Still have to decide on that wall next to dining room.
October 9, 2013 at 8:15PM     
Manuel Mas
That chair is 17 3/4 tall on sitting area.
October 9, 2013 at 8:28PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hello Manuel! I really like that table. Does your budget allow you to get this as a side table and the round table as the coffee table? I do think you should bring in some wood but I also like the round one though - it would fill up the space more. You need to figure out the pros and cons of each table and take it from there.
October 10, 2013 at 7:52PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
As for colour.......there's such a wide choice so it really depends on what makes you comfortable. I do like this teal though. It's very warm without being overwhelming. But like I've mentioned before, not every room needs to have colour - this is a design myth. Textures, shapes and different finishes can have as much impact as colour. It depends on what mood you want to convey.
October 10, 2013 at 7:56PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Here are examples of beautiful rooms that don't have any colours. The different furnishings and textures make for great design. Each room brings in warmth in different ways with either wood, curtains, artwork, upholstery (tufting) or a simple but very personal picture.
October 10, 2013 at 8:06PM     
Manuel Mas
Here looking for coffee tables. We got some West Elm gift cards which can help (although everything there is expensive compared with Ikea). Here are some of the ones I saw. Everyone at the store was suggesting to go with steel, glass, etc.
October 12, 2013 at 8:57PM     
Manuel Mas
Here are more of them:
October 12, 2013 at 8:59PM     
Manuel Mas
I am also looking for something to hide all those cables and equipment below my TV. That white "thing" cannot be removed, it's fixed there. I was thinking of putting something on top of it. What do you guys think?
October 12, 2013 at 9:00PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hurray for gift cards!!! I really like the steel/glass and the white top table. Which one did you choose?
October 13, 2013 at 8:28AM   
Manuel Mas
Haven't decided yet. It seems we're going fort eh steel/mirror/white look but can't decide. The ikea round one is still another option. If the steel mirror one was cheaper and smaller, I would buy it.
October 13, 2013 at 1:15PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The mirrored coffee table is very nice but I much prefer the other tables with your couch.
October 13, 2013 at 8:00PM   
Manuel Mas
Lydia, when you say other coffee tables you refer to which ones?

Also, about furniture for below the TV? It can't be tall or it'll reach the TV, has to look good on top of that white thing and with the gray wall background. I was looking at Besta ones on IKEA but I can't settle for a door color. Gray blue? frosted glass? Black? Wood?
October 13, 2013 at 8:14PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I meant one of these:
October 13, 2013 at 8:25PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
There are several BESTA models at IKEA. Can you attach the link of the one you're looking at?
October 13, 2013 at 8:26PM   
Manuel Mas
Something like this but haven't decided on colors.
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=89932753
October 13, 2013 at 8:49PM     
Manuel Mas
I like those coffee tables. However, over at the store the employees said they were worried about the wood/glass one since it was more dark added to the already dark colors around. As for the white one,they said it could be too much white along with the white block behind the TV. What do you think?
October 13, 2013 at 8:51PM   
Manuel Mas
Problem is, if you can call it a problem, I now have $280 on West Elm gift cards so I feel I should buy a coffee table or something big there.
October 13, 2013 at 9:07PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
If only all problems would be so pleasant! :)
I agree that you should take advantage of the gift card from West Elm. I was going to suggest getting the round table from IKEA and investing in a great chair from West Elm but they're so expensive even with the gift cards!! That being said, getting a coffee table there is a good idea - much better quality than IKEA. Here's another option that would look great with your couch. As for storage for the tv, if you get a wooden coffee table then I suggest grey doors, If you get a white coffee table then go with the wood doors.
October 14, 2013 at 8:56AM     
Manuel Mas
I could buy the round coffee table from IKEA and use the gift card on something else, yet I don't know if buying pillows, covers would be the best way to go about it. As you said, chairs there are very expensive.

That coffee table looks nice, you don't think it would look too dark as the West Elm employees were telling me?

As for TV, I could go with full birch wood:

Or white body with gray/blue front doors:
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=60134049 http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=50227218

Or white body with frosted glass front doors:

http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=09866733 (I don't think it comes frosted, I think one has to add something behind the glass to get that effect)

Also, what do you think about this coffee table. Would it look good with our current setup or too dark/rustic?:
http://www.westelm.com/products/carved-wood-coffee-table-g414/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables&cm_src=coffee-side-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_
October 14, 2013 at 2:42PM   
Vibrant Abstract painting studio
hi
this is beautiful paintings here you can see my website
http://sanjay-punekar.artistwebsites.com/
October 14, 2013 at 6:52PM     
bryght.com
If you are looking for a coffee table, check out the ones from Bryght www.bryght.com
http://www.bryght.com/browse/20/coffee-tables
October 14, 2013 at 10:23PM   
Manuel Mas
Hey guys, I've been unable to buy the coffee table from West Elm (or any other store) due to time limitations. Still don't know if that last one I posted would work. Or will it be too rustic/retro for the look I have on the living/dining room so far?

Also, still undecided on what color to choose the IKEA TV stand...
October 16, 2013 at 2:20PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hey Manuel! I really like this table but I don't think it's the style you're going for. I do like the wood though. As for the tv cabinet, you should first choose the coffee table and then see which one goes best. Do you have any preferences for the coffee table?
October 16, 2013 at 3:02PM   
Manuel Mas
Well, I really don't have much preference at the moment. The gift cards kind of limited me a bit. So I'm trying to choose one from West Elm. Over there, most of the things are like that one I just posted.
October 16, 2013 at 3:06PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
They don't have any of the ones I posted previously?
October 16, 2013 at 3:21PM   
Manuel Mas
All of them except the last one you posted.
October 16, 2013 at 3:28PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
That's too bad......I thought that table went very well with your couch! In that case, what about this combo?
October 16, 2013 at 3:42PM   
Manuel Mas
Again, you don't think it would look too white (that table I mean).The wood does look good up front. It would have to be a smaller one though since that white block (unremovable) is around 50-55 inches wide.
October 16, 2013 at 3:48PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The table top is textured with some grey accents to compliment the couch and rug. Also, the legs are dark so the table isn't totally white. That's the Besta cabinet from IKEA. I thought you had posted it because it was the right size?
October 16, 2013 at 3:52PM   
Manuel Mas
Yes, but it would be 2 cabinets, not three. It looks good, that wood. The other options are frosted glass or gray/blue doors. There is also the black Besta frames.
October 16, 2013 at 4:57PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I really like that wood - it has texture and shape. The black one would be too much of a contrast with the white. Did you decide on the coffee table?
October 18, 2013 at 11:24AM     
Manuel Mas
Not yet Lydia! Haven't had the time to go through the store again. I like the TV furniture you recommended though.
October 19, 2013 at 6:37AM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Ok.....let me know if you need more of my input! Buena fin de semana!
October 19, 2013 at 10:08AM   
Manuel Mas
Haha thank you Lydia. I will keep posting here. The plan is coffee table, TV furniture, perhaps a side furniture to store books/magazines/movies and some art for that dining room wall.
October 19, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Manuel Mas
Lydia, if we go for the white top coffee table or the one with clear top and wooden legs, would both still look good with the wood TV furniture from IKEA?
October 23, 2013 at 6:45AM   
Manuel Mas
There's a 20% off coffee/side tables at West Elm. I guess good things come to those who wait. Have to decide between these two:
http://www.westelm.com/products/cross-spindle-coffee-table-g838/?pkey=ccoffee-side-table-sale&cm_src=coffee-side-table-sale||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

or http://www.westelm.com/products/origami-coffee-table-g672/?pkey=ccoffee-side-table-sale&cm_src=coffee-side-table-sale||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
October 23, 2013 at 10:37AM   
pgteach
I have been following along, my vote is for the second coffe table. It will look great in your room!
October 23, 2013 at 12:04PM   
Manuel Mas
At the moment, I'm pretty much set at the West Elm Origami table you all have recommended. My fiancee on the other hand, likes one I previously posted:
http://www.westelm.com/products/herringbone-mirror-coffee-table-h404/

She believes it's more classy/sophisticated and goes better with the room. I don't know who will prevail, though I think it could be her.
October 23, 2013 at 3:33PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
lol......I also like the Origami table. The table your fiancée likes is really nice but I find it's too "cold" (no texture) for the space considering you can't paint or add curtains. I also find the shape is alot like your couch not adding any visual interest or contrast. The table is very classy and looks nice in a design like the one on the West Elm link you posted but your couch is more modern. The rug and floor have alot of lines with the tiles and the table adds even more lines with the herringbone pattern. That was my argument......good luck with yours! ;)
October 23, 2013 at 7:19PM   
Manuel Mas
She also loves the carved wood, low Moroccan style coffee table from West Elm. We can't get to agree!
October 23, 2013 at 8:35PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The Moroccan table is totally my style so I really like it! This one is better than the mirror one because the shape breaks up all the lines. The wood and carving add some warmth. It could be a happy compromise! :)
If you choose this table I suggest bringing in just a little bit more ethnic-inspired furnishings (like pillows) to create flow.
October 24, 2013 at 9:18AM     
Manuel Mas
She prefers the Moroccan style coffee table over the mirrored one. Yet, we both don't know if that will mix with the current look. Or with the dining table which is glass/steel look. It's also less expensive!
October 24, 2013 at 1:00PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
It could definitely work but it will take the design in another direction which isn't a bad thing but it might not be what you want either.
October 24, 2013 at 1:28PM   
lynsibee
I agree with Lydia, it could definitely work. I love a more ecletic look and the last photo Lydia posted shows it being used in modern setting, which is what you have. It would also allow you to be more flexible with other furniture pieces you choose in the future. I say go for it and add more color! (:
October 24, 2013 at 1:48PM     
Manuel Mas
Well, Lydia and lynsibee your arguments may have helped. We are very close to buying the Moroccan style coffee table. We continue to ponder if it would look well with that dining table (glass/steel). Care to address this particular point? Or can the living room be considered independent from the dining room area although they are right next to each other?

On a side note, today I visited IKEA and saw the Lovbacken in person. I loved it. Would that look good as a side table if we go for the Moroccan table or do we need something more rugged (Lovbacken has very clean lines contrasting with Moroccan style coffee table).

As for the TV, today at IKEA I saw the Besta with the dark bamboo brown Besta Tofta doors. They look quite dark in person. Would that still go with the coffee table? Here's another option included.

And last but not least, I saw some art I liked at IKEA for that wall in the dining room. Only problem is it continues to go with the monochromatic, no vivid color, look:
October 24, 2013 at 8:37PM   
lynsibee
I like the darker better than the lighter wood color for your TV area. Can you get one with color instead? If not, I would go with dark. I also suggest another print. While it would work in your area, color would be better. Especially if you decide to go with the moroccan coffee table. How similar is the side table wood and the moroccan table's wood? You dont want to have too many different types of wood going on. The shape is not a problem..the wood finish, however, is.

I will have to let Lydia address the two different style tables since the rooms are so open. I am tempted to say yes, this will work. But, only if you connect the two in other ways such as the print. Does that make sense? - If you decide on the print above i would stray away from the moroccan coffee table.
October 25, 2013 at 11:46AM   
Manuel Mas
I think we are set on the Moroccan coffee table. I'm just waiting for the current sale at West Elm to end so the 20% off on coffee tables return this Tuesday. I visited IKEA once again and saw the dark bamboo for the TV furniture. Again, it looks very dark, not brown at all. Don't know if any of you have seen it in a store/house, not on photo. Here's one I took (looks darker in real life, compared to picture I took). Still undecided on that area.

If we go with the Moroccan table, care to recommend some throw/decorative cushions on the sofa? You can recommend from IKEA to your heart's content!
October 27, 2013 at 8:56PM   
Manuel Mas
Will buy the carved wood coffee table (Moroccan) tomorrow. Any ideas on colors for cushions and throw? I could do something like this but my carpet has no red like in the picture.
October 28, 2013 at 8:19PM     
Manuel Mas
Lynsibee you say go with color for TV furniture. You mean for the front doors? IKEA has glass, white, dark brown, gray, orange.
October 28, 2013 at 8:20PM     
lynsibee
You could go with white for the TV furniture. That way in the future you can use it however you like and you won't be restricted to a particular color. However, if you like to be bold maybe you could do orange. Then you can add this throughout the open area in a print for the dining area, pillows, and throws.

I will get on ikea to have a look and see what items they have! I really think you can add whatever color you like. What colors are you typically drawn to?
October 28, 2013 at 8:28PM   
lnsail
I think the white TV cabinet (Besta) with grey door would go well with your current sofa, rug and the Moroccan coffee table IF you put some texture and interest in by adding pillows (such as the birds on the modern display of the table shown above) and art. I hope you can find something that works for you in neutral colors (or a blue) that has an ethnic/eclectic feel.
October 28, 2013 at 10:08PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hey Manuel! You finally decided on the Moroccan table! I'm thinking the wood doors on the cabinet wouldn't go with the table because of the different wood finishes. White (glass) doors would keep in line with the simple design of the space. The artwork you like from IKEA could work. The flowers mimic the carving of the table. I posted some images earlier of neutral spaces to show that you don't have to have colour in your room if that's what you prefer. The side table from IKEA is quite nice but unfortunately wouldn't work well with the Moroccan table. As for pillows, I also had posted some from IKEA. These have an ethnic feel.
October 29, 2013 at 9:55AM   
Manuel Mas
Hello all. Lydia and all, I like that pillow. Yet I thought with the Moroccan coffee table, it was time to add some color somehow perhaps with cushions that are more earthy. Was thinking along side golden browns/dark red. Do you think that would work or is it unnecessary? Will post a picture with the coffee table today.
October 29, 2013 at 10:22AM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The space is very neutral so any colour would work. It's of course not necessary if you don't want any. It's really a matter of personal preferance. Can't wait to see the table in your living room!
October 29, 2013 at 10:53AM   
Manuel Mas
I'll post the picture today. Have to buy the tV furniture at IKEA pronto. I get married on November 9th and want it all ready for that date!
October 29, 2013 at 11:49AM     
You have come a long way. And have made some great choices. Love coffee from West elm. Good job. Ikea cab in Orange would add that pop of color. Then add orange in prints to pillows. Remember some big bold art on dining wall. Congrats on up coming marriage.
October 29, 2013 at 11:59AM   
Manuel Mas
Well, as promised, here's the pictures. Thanks for all your help so far! We still have a ways to go but you all have aided in making this a beautiful living room.
October 29, 2013 at 5:23PM   
Manuel Mas
Here's two more. Now I have to buy the TV Furniture. Hoping I can decide with your help today or tomorrow at the latest. I'm set on Besta white TV furniture, yet still in doubt over the front doors. White would be, well, too much white. The dark wood isn't as brown as expected. Gray/blue would be too much of that with the sofa/rug. So for now it's the glass ones. Yet won't that show all the media equipment anyway and look ugly?
October 29, 2013 at 5:30PM     
lynsibee
The room looks great and congrats on your future marriage! Only a couple of weeks. (:

I really don't think the white would be too much. Then again you're talking to someone who currently has mostly white furniture pieces. You have done really well with what you've go so far so just go with your gut.
October 29, 2013 at 5:46PM   
Manuel Mas
I could do this one with white instead of black. Would need to see how to add that frosted panel look since I think it comes in glass:
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=09866733

Or this with light wood (don't know if it mixes with table now):
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=19930074
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=49930096

Or this one:
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=79905750

The glass adds price but it's the most neutral of all.
October 29, 2013 at 6:19PM   
lynsibee
Oh I liked the last one you posted! Is that white with blue/green doors? It would add color and go with your red you already have!
October 29, 2013 at 7:05PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Good job.....you look so happy!! I just noticed the wall of the stairs is also grey.....nice touch! Your choice of pillows is perfect....just a bit of colour and some textures. I like the way the texture of the bigger one mimics the carving of the table. They compliment the couch nicely. You're getting the hang of this.....lol! I looked at your media wall again and I think the white cabinet would look nice against the grey wall. It wouldn't stand out but rather blend in letting the table take center stage. You're right about the glass doors showing too much of the media equipment. The grey doors might be too many different greys. The blue doors are nice but I find there would be too many colours (different greys, white, red, blue). Your fiancée will be very happy! Congrats on your upcoming wedding! :))
October 29, 2013 at 7:37PM   
Spaces Designed, Interior Design Studio, LLC
Hello there! I would DEFINITELY get a warm shag rug, preferably white, and I would do a clean square coffee table perhaps a transparent one to continue the clean modern look and continuation of the eye. The room definitely needs some warmth and texture, and a nice shag rug is the perfect way to achieve that. Also, some throw pillows and cool, fun, colorful accessories would finish it off nicely! Good luck!
October 29, 2013 at 7:41PM   
I totally apologize, I didn't see the updated photos until now...and it's so funny because I have that exact coffee table in my home and I have that black/white aztec pillow from Ikea as well!!
October 29, 2013 at 7:43PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Now that I see the red that you picked I'm thinking some artwork would look nice. The first three could be options for over the A/C in the dining room and the smaller one (ticket art) could go on the wall next to the couch. Art is very personal but these could be just for inspiration. I only looked at IKEA. I know......you just decided on a table and now I'm throwing art at you......lol! ;)
October 29, 2013 at 7:48PM     
Manuel Mas
Thanks Lydia. I wouldn't have made it without your help and all others who have posted. Now I'm going to continue posting and riding my luck. Next step is buying the TV furniture probably tomorrow. Here's a closer look at the TV area to see if your choice of white cabinet in combination with current Moroccan coffee table still stands.
October 29, 2013 at 8:01PM   
Manuel Mas
Lydia I will look on what art is available at the IKEA in Puerto Rico. I like your pics. Do you agree on the red? Is that the way to use a throw on the sofa appropriately?

We were thinking of having a continuation of living room to dining area. Don't know if adding some wood color detail somewhere or using the red as you suggest.
October 29, 2013 at 8:03PM   
Manuel Mas
And to be sure you recommend this all white TV furniture:
http://ikea.pr/productos_IKEA/detalle.php?id=29887579
October 29, 2013 at 8:07PM   
Meilleur Designer Panels & Grills
Hi Sir, why don't you try ng decorative panel I think it will be a good idea po since the place is not big.
October 29, 2013 at 8:11PM   
Meilleur Designer Panels & Grills
You can even use a panel as design sa tv stand nyo . It will look so neat and faboulos for sure Ive done so many projects before that they use our panel as a stand of their Tv po.
October 29, 2013 at 8:12PM   
stroconis
Hi!
Something like these could work on the dinning room wall. Please check my web site: http://www.sylviatroconis.com/#!moodwood/c199t
These are long and a fun statement pieces!
October 29, 2013 at 8:43PM   
Manuel Mas
What about this:
October 30, 2013 at 5:49AM   
saratogaswizzlestick
I would like more movement and vitality in your art so the letters don't work for me.
October 30, 2013 at 6:24AM   
Manuel Mas
These ones?
October 30, 2013 at 6:42AM   
saratogaswizzlestick
Better but ideally something ethnic or organic which would relate better to your table. I feel it would warm up and enliven your space. I like your inspiration picture showing your table and trees.
October 30, 2013 at 7:23AM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You're very welcome! The art I posted is all from IKEA PR. I saw the alphabet frame but forgot to post it. It's also a good option to bring in a touch of red. I don't suggest going all out with the red. Too much red will look "staged". I agree about bringing in another wooden piece but not sure what else you need. The throw is fine the way it is for a casual look. You can also fold it at the end of the sectional for a more polished look (see image). The living room lets in so much light!! Now that I see it in the daylight I really think the white cabinet with white doors is the best option. I can't see it on the link you posted though.
October 30, 2013 at 7:29AM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I like the London poster because it only has a touch of red. That's what I meant about not going all out with the red. To me the other one looks more like it belongs in a kids' room. :)
October 30, 2013 at 7:32AM   
Manuel Mas
Too much red?
October 30, 2013 at 12:54PM     
lynsibee
I personally love the last photo you posted. My favorite so far. (: You can definitely add more than one color. Yellows or blues would work well with the red. Try finding a pillow that has a bit of both.
October 30, 2013 at 1:07PM     
October 30, 2013 at 1:11PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I really don't like that painting.....it's too "floral" for the design of the rooms. This artwork seems "old" for you.....something with a younger vibe would be better. I prefer just a touch of red or the simple beauty of black and white. But like I mentioned earlier, art is very personal.
October 30, 2013 at 1:17PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Just a note......you don't need to choose something that has red in it. If you decide to go with "real" art (as opposed to stock art or posters), then choose something you really like. It will be versatile and timeless and you'll be able to make it work in any design that suits your style.
October 30, 2013 at 1:20PM   
Manuel Mas
I'll see what I can find. I'll focus on the TV furniture for now. That's a mess down there.
October 30, 2013 at 1:26PM   
saratogaswizzlestick
I agree that the picture does not need to have red. The painting you show is nice but it matches too much. Pick something that speaks to you. Your room is very neutral so this would be a fun place to show personality . http://www.art.com/products/p5991468444-sa-i802245/wassily-kandinsky-farbstudie-quadrate-c-1913.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=155704&dimvals=155704&ui=b363ebaa32e74bbcaec73427ba537921

A colorful abstract, a quirky print ... Lots of possibilities. Your room looks great so far. Is there a local artist or poster you like?
October 30, 2013 at 1:57PM   
Manuel Mas
Thanks for the suggestions. I know nothing about art. So I'm neutral as to artist or type. Prefer modern/abstract.
October 30, 2013 at 2:25PM   
Manuel Mas
@saratogaswizzlestick Love that site! It ships to Puerto Rico. I'll explore it and see what I can find. Thanks!
October 30, 2013 at 2:36PM     
saratogaswizzlestick
I think an abstract will look great. You don't need to know about art, just pick what appeals
October 30, 2013 at 3:35PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I also think abstract (or graffiti art) would be great! Looking forward to seeing your choices. :)
October 30, 2013 at 4:39PM   
Manuel Mas
TV furniture with and without the doors. With doors it looks like a huge ivory tower! Looks cleaner than before though.
November 2, 2013 at 9:58PM     
sondramartina
Tv unit is not proportional to tv size. :(
November 2, 2013 at 10:30PM   
chookchook2
The modern thing to do is actually colour! Try Pantone 2014 colour family for ideas
November 2, 2013 at 10:53PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
It might look different in person but I'm thinking I was wrong about the white cabinet with doors. One of the reasons is that the whites don't match (I don't mind the size). No doors is better or if you can try the glass doors. Sorry! :(
November 3, 2013 at 4:57PM   
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
Under cabinet hood or range hood ??
Please guide me what will be best option to put hood...
Need help for boat
Hello, need help with the living room of my boat: 3...
Bathroom wall color for 2 bathrooms
Not sure what color to paint these bathrooms, should...
open kitchen/living room layout
I am planning to replace the current u-shaped kitchen...