lajd
December 14, 2011 in Photo Questions
Would you ever consider putting the stove in front of the window (maybe with a telescoping exhaust)?
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
All depends on what kind of a cook you are.
See how much splatter you get now and decide how it would look on your window and how often you'd want to clean it.
You should also consider the resale of your home in the future as it is not a common set up, it could turn some people away.
That said, you'll see some stunning examples of cooktops in front of windows on houzz.
:) Rhoda
December 15, 2011 at 5:26am   
lajd
Hi, thanks for your comments. I know it's the ideal set up but it would give me much more space. My plans currently have the sink and stove in the configuration in the picture but I have less space along the stove wall and am concerned about it being cramped. I don't want the stove on the island so the only other option would be in front of the window. I'm not a messy cook and feel like it might work nicely as the window opens to the garden. Again, thanks for the comments.
December 15, 2011 at 5:37am   
Samantha Gardner
It is actually against NKBA Guidlines to place a stove under a standard window. You would need to replace the panes with glass blocks to make this work - see www.nkba.org or http://www.kitchens.com/Design/Layouts/NKBA-Guidelines.aspx for details
December 15, 2011 at 2:00pm   
annmarie2
I agree w/Samantha - and most state codes prohibit placing a cooking surface (esp gas) near an operable window - too much risk of the flames flaring up or sideways.

Also - for your configuration - it's a good idea to give yourself a fair amount of counter space btw range and sink...putting them too close together could make it feel cramped.
December 15, 2011 at 2:44pm   
lajd
Thanks for all the comments. I'm doing in this in South Africa. Have my architect looking into codes.
December 15, 2011 at 10:28pm   
nazzgirl329
Im sorry to be commenting on this so long after your original post-however, I just came across it and had to put my "two cents" in. I am in the process of building a summer home in Falmouth, on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I am adamant about the stove going directly underneath a triple pane window because I am trying to take advantage of Western sun (a scarce resource where we live...especially during our long dark winters). That said, the builder and architect are both thrilled with this idea even though they have warned me about the constant cleaning. Remember, everything is a give and take. My plan is to place an antique metal tile (about 36" x 36")that normally hangs on the wall as art, against the window while doing any really messy cooking. When you're done, you can wipe it clean and put back on the wall! I'd love to hear what you finally decided to do!
October 28, 2012 at 7:53am   
lajd
Hi nazzgirl329, I decided to go ahead with it and use a downdraft exhaust that raises from behind the cooktop. It will all be installed in just a few weeks. I think your idea of a metal tile is a great idea. I might try something like that if I feel the cleaning becomes too much. Glad to hear your builder and architect liked the idea....I think it's great to do things in non-standard ways! Good luck with your kitchen.
October 28, 2012 at 8:55am   
Adjusting a floorplan for walk-in closets
I've got a floorplan that I'm trying to adjust to give...
Living room ideas!
Hi all! Here's our living room. I would love ideas...
Anyone with inset carpet experience?
We are renovating our first floor, including a south-facing,...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Do we have to add tile behind stove?
Hi, We are finishing up an addition which includes...