Would stacking curtains all to one side look strange?
coolaholigah
hi and thanks in advance. I am lucky enough to have a beautiful ocean view from the main bedroom. (We are in Sydney, Australia). The sliding doors/windows currently have a roller blind within the reveal which does a great blockout job. the color is 'putty' and that pretty well describes it. a good neutral. I am thinking of softening with some sheer linen ripple fold curtains fixed from the wall. As the door opens,(to the right in the photos) I think I will have to have the stack in the space (about 1.5 feet) between the left of the windows and the left hand wall (so extend the track to the wall on that side). I have searched for photos on Houzz but I can't find anything so far with a stack only to one side. would this look weird? photos attached show existing blinds down and up with the entry door to the right. thanks for any help/comments/suggestions!!
Sharon
I don't think it will look weird at all. I would however make sure you take the curtains nearly all the way to the cornice, it will make the whole area look furnished, rather than hanging them just outside the timber frame. I hope you get what I mean, exaggerate the curtain surface area.
October 7, 2013 at 12:50am        Thanked by coolaholigah
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Yes you can bring the curtains to one side and it will look good. I do agree with Sharon that you want your curtains to go almost to the crown molding on the ceiling.
October 7, 2013 at 1:36am      Thanked by coolaholigah
coolaholigah
thanks. there is about 4 inches behind the door...maybe I should just take it the whole way across? a whole wall of curtain? but I suppose it is mostly across all day anyway...but then that would make access if you wanted to open the door trickier hmmm...
October 7, 2013 at 1:44pm   
Mitchell Channon Design
I agree with the above comments. I often do "one way" stacks, either for functional or design reasons. Attached is a photo of a living room I designed that shows an example.
October 7, 2013 at 2:07pm   
Mitchell Channon Design
Here's another example that shows stationary panels that are one way
October 7, 2013 at 2:10pm   
coolaholigah
o that doesn't look weird at all. thank you so much!
October 7, 2013 at 2:15pm   
South East Installation Solutions, LLC
I have installed curtains that stacked to on side like that, but you end up with a "all-or-nothing" effect. Either you can see out when they are stacked or you can't when they are drawn across.

Have you considered using a bypass shutter on a track system?
Plantation Shutters 1
Plantation Shutters 2
Plantation Shutters 3
October 12, 2013 at 9:10pm   
JWinteriors
Hotels and villas do the stacking on one side quite often...but they have a valance that creates the balance of color when the drapes are open. Without a valance, it would appear awkward and off balance. You could easily attach curtains on either side of slider, keeping the fabric 12" beyond the casing, to create a wall to wall curtained effect when closed...and wont block the view, when opened. You will need to sew 2 curtain widths on both sides to have enough fabric. Put them on rings for easy opening and closing.
October 12, 2013 at 9:24pm      Thanked by coolaholigah
Marc Russell Interiors
The 1.5 feet to the left is not enough room for the stack on a window that large. You will end up with the stack taking away some of your view. They need to be center split.
October 12, 2013 at 10:06pm      Thanked by coolaholigah
Please help me with my bedroom
So I received so much amazing help with my lounge,...
Kitchen transformation assistance?
I had posted about a week a go asking for advice on...
Paint Color to complement brick tile
Appreciate suggestions on what colors/shades I should...
What is your bathroom design pet peeve?
Over the years in looking at model and spec homes (many...
Mirror Help
I need help accenting a unique chest. I bought a mirror...