Dining room help
sylwia2783
What should i change in dining room. Any Ideas?
Angelina Vick
I would change the curtains, I don't think it matches the furniture style, and it blends into the walls.

I would remove whatever is sitting the center of the table, and make place settings.
October 7, 2013 at 12:53am        Thanked by sylwia2783
sylwia2783
what curtains can you suggest?
October 7, 2013 at 12:55am   
sylwia2783
any color suggestions?
October 7, 2013 at 12:59am   
Angelina Vick
Curtains are not my area of expertise, I'm an artist. =)

I can see they are not helping your design, but I can't picture what be most complimentary.

I'm inclined to think...something that is not so light it blends with the wall. A softer fabric would bring some femininity to the space.

What do you think of the curtains? Do you think they work in the space?

Colors...well, because curtains are a great way to bring in your accent colors, what colors do you have going in that room? Aside from the dark furniture.

Do you have art, or a rug...that you could tie the curtains to?

Gorgeous dining set btw!
October 7, 2013 at 1:05am      Thanked by sylwia2783
Vadkerty Ágnes
lamp shoul be countrier style, table should be round, curtains more coloured, pictures on the wall, no dry flower on the floor...
October 7, 2013 at 1:13am      Thanked by sylwia2783
sylwia2783
Something is definitely wrong in this room and i'm trying to figure out what and how to change it.
Maybe anyone can share some pictures of any? ideas for this room?
October 7, 2013 at 7:22am   
howellmsue
Can we see the other two walls? The pictures you show don't seem that bad to me, but we cannot see the whole room....
October 7, 2013 at 8:20am      Thanked by sylwia2783
sylwia2783
other two walls
October 7, 2013 at 9:18am   
jasjan
I would suggest taking out the sheers under the curtains and adding matchstick blinds. That would add a more modern feel to the windows.
October 7, 2013 at 9:39am        Thanked by sylwia2783
sylwia2783
Could you send picture of what you're having in your mind, please?
October 7, 2013 at 9:46am   
Angelina Vick
The house is more traditional, the decor for this room is more contemporary. The curtains match the house...not the dining room.

I hope people who know curtains make some suggestions.
October 7, 2013 at 9:46am      Thanked by sylwia2783
jasjan
I hope I am sending this correctly. And to clarify,when I said "modern" what I meant was more updated than sheers, not more modern in style. I do think that matchstick blinds can be nice with many styles.
October 7, 2013 at 11:10am        Thanked by sylwia2783
sylwia2783
yes this is it :)
October 7, 2013 at 11:15am     
The pastel thin curtains and pale yellow walls make this look like a spring room trying to be a fall decorated space. I enjoy changing out accessories seasonally, and curtains can be changed too. Try clearing the bottom of the sideboard and setting the table arrangement there. Remove all the little fall tchotchies (bad spell on that) and subtitute something large like a 12" tall pair of pilgrims, or a big turkey. I'd remove the lamp - a little big - and hang art on the large part of the wall. If you hang any more art, free pieces with centers 60" above the floor and those over furniture at about 5" above the piece. Sheers can seem old fashioned so an update is in order. The matchsticks would be an inexpensive fix. If you can spend more, try fabric or fiber roman shades under stationary curtain panels - lined or heavier fabric for a nice hand and drape. You might check at Country Curtains or homedecorators.com. An area rug would need to be 4 feet wider and longer than the table, so measure carefully if you decide to add one.
October 7, 2013 at 11:45am      Thanked by sylwia2783
Vielle Frances Interiors
The dark color and height of the table is over powering the room and the low ceiling makes the room feel cluttered and closed in. Definitely change the curtains but think of getting curtains that are a bit bigger pattern... Also, add an area rug to put under the table.
October 7, 2013 at 1:26pm      Thanked by sylwia2783
howellmsue
I see your room as a very light and washed out space with a large black hole in the center (the table). I think your room is missing two things- color and some medium tones. You can easily incorporate both with curtains that are medium value and a color. Add that color to the center of your table- maybe on a large light colored runner, lastly get rid of the small things on your sideboard and replace them with a collection of an odd number of items (include something green- a plant) that vary in size. What colors do you like and I could try to send you images of curtains/accessories.
October 7, 2013 at 8:23pm      Thanked by sylwia2783
Laurie
We used Country Curtains for roll up matchstick blinds on our upstairs windows and they made a big difference, much more up to date look with the panels. I like the tone of jasjan's example, medium like your staircase might be nice, lighter than your table. Also agree on pulling blue from curtains and another complementary color for centerpiece, artwork, lamp. If you are stuck, look at things you will not change...colors in adjacent living room, what colors are in your dishware that you use at this table. Could u take pics of some of your tableware and post for us to see?
October 7, 2013 at 8:48pm      Thanked by sylwia2783
sylwia2783
i like bright colors, but if you can just send pictures of your thoughts and ideas to this room i'll be more than happy :)
October 7, 2013 at 10:49pm   
sylwia2783
tableware is white ...
October 7, 2013 at 10:51pm   
sylwia2783
Angelina i love your art!
October 7, 2013 at 11:16pm   
howellmsue
I was thinking something a bit bolder like these curtains.
October 8, 2013 at 7:03pm        Thanked by sylwia2783
howellmsue
Clear off your buffet/sideboard and get an interesting group of objects that you like including something that has the same bold blue. Think different sizes....see the large, medium and small here?
October 8, 2013 at 7:15pm      Thanked by sylwia2783
howellmsue
.....and a more interesting painting.
October 8, 2013 at 7:18pm      Thanked by sylwia2783
sylwia2783
those curtains with matchstick blinds?
October 8, 2013 at 10:44pm   
sylwia2783
how many and where should i exactly hang the pictures?
October 8, 2013 at 10:45pm   
Angelina Vick
Art...next to the windows.

Here's a link on choosing sizes. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/choosing-your-art-size-angelina-vick.html
October 8, 2013 at 11:19pm      Thanked by sylwia2783
Susanna Thomas
I love the curtains. I think you should change the lamp for a more delicate one. And add a rug under the table.
October 8, 2013 at 11:44pm      Thanked by sylwia2783
Angelina Vick
I know people like rugs under tables, and I agree it looks nice.
It's just very difficult upkeep if you have children.

Something to keep in mind.

A few art suggestions. This is a link to the gallery to see them more closely. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/ornate+designs+and+medallions/all
October 9, 2013 at 12:03am   
Angelina Vick
BTW...I think they are great curtains too...I'm just not sure that many different styles is working for your space.
October 9, 2013 at 12:12am     
sylwia2783
I wish have someone to come and design and decorate my house... :-\
October 9, 2013 at 12:29am   
Angelina Vick
You could have someone come design your house.

Where do you live? This whole site is full of interior designers.
October 9, 2013 at 1:20am   
Laurie
Here are the ones we have, hanging under all sorts of curtains in each of our bedrooms, also downstairs...these are actually room darkening (you cannot see through them) but so many options online to choose from. My advice, though? Find a store in your area that comes TO YOUR HOUSE and MEASURES for you. That way you know they will fit perfectly! And that part never costs you a dime. :) Then, as far as loving bolder colors, do you see in the pic below how you could pair the blue green in the curtains with other colors to make a more eye-catching display? Do you have any large white platter or bowl (oblong or rectangle for your table would be best) that matches your dishes you could use for a display in center of table instead of the basket? That would be cleaner and more modern looking and more contrast with your dark table. Post more pix when you have time. Oh, and lose what appears to be a doily under your very modern lamp on the DR sideboard! Sorry. :)
October 9, 2013 at 3:23am   
bethwray
A round table would help with flow and is great for conversation.
October 9, 2013 at 3:53am   
meljane
Hi Silwia,
Before I comment, may I kindly ask you these two questions:
What's on the wall behind?
From which compass direction do you enter the front door?
Thanks! :-)
October 9, 2013 at 3:57am   
Laurie
One more idea. Using what you have already...did you purchase the modern lamp on side table specifically for this room, or could you move it into LR or FM? Personally I think it is too wide at bottom, and the rectangular shade is too large for your space. I LOVE the lamp, just not there. Try clearing everything off the side table (top and bottom), and then move that piece of artwork you have hanging on the other wall over to the sideboard. Just lean it up against the wall, off center towards right side of sideboard, near stairs. Now stand back and think about the space that remains. I could see a different lamp, similar height to one you have, but more of a buffet style lamp base and a round or cylindrical shaped shade fitting into that left corner of the sideboard better, with artwork to right of it on the wall.
Thoughts?
October 9, 2013 at 4:03am     
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Dining room size vs dining table... Help please!!
Hi! So I am purchasing my very first dining table...
Living room dining room turned great room Help
Green parson chairs keep paint red walls some new color...
Need help for living room dining room one room paint color
Living room dining room Would like to do all white....
Entryway revamp question.
I want to replace my 36x83 front exterior door with...
Need help with master bath design/layout
Master bath is 18' 8" x 10' 4" if I take one of the...
Should we paint interior doors in newly painted paneled den?
We are in the process of priming our paneled den to...
How Bad Is Bad?
Well, the cabinet crew followed the drawings and completed...
looking for contemporary pendant lighting for kitchen bar, sage green
We are remodeling condo in the Desert and i am looking...