Front door to paint
mlaroseOctober 7, 2013
We want to color our front door and were wondering if the garage door has to be the same color, right now the are white, can you suggest something.thanks.
Rockin' Fine Finish
Red, black , or charcoal could you post a pic of the whole house
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 10:38AM
leelee
Paint the garage door a medium darkish gray like one of the colors in your brick. Then paint the door a muted aqua color including the side light. You can leave the rest of the trim white or paint it light gray.
14 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 10:42AM
ellajacob
I say paint the garage door and front door black. Or the garage door black and the front door red.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:13AM
21131
The doors are so close to each other, I feel it warrants the same color - I like the values in the autumn leaves in front of the garage doors. To add a spark, once the doors are painted, something should be placed on the porch in black (bench?) or, a color that is a direct compliment on the color wheel but each color should be tamped down to a value that includes the "grey" tone (ever so lightly) of the house. A larger view of the house and yard would be helpful because other trim work on the house may need to be considered.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:36AM
mgsrcs
Leelee has the right idea- paint garage door a grey -that allows it to blend with the brick. Then pick a nice color for the door and side light. Maybe choose one of your accent colors from your entry hall? Or the blue suggested sounds great as well.
12 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:37AM
Laurie
I think a dark charcoal grey would look good on the garage and front door. I would also paint the trim the same color. Add some color like a bright orange bench or flower pots by the entry.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:41AM
Eagledzines
Here are some ideas. If the budget allows, you could swap out the door for opaque panels. If not you could paint it a shade of charcoal and the door a lime.

Raspberry might be a candidate as well as in the wall pictured.

Cloud Street Residence

Artists Studio in Houston://www.houzz.com/photos/1574227/Lake-Michigan-Home-rustic-kids-milwaukeeeclectic-porch-houston

Lake Michigan Home
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:51AM
Hi there, the reason people are asking for whole house photos is to see how many white trim / windows you have on the right side of the house to balance the garage. Also, because some neon colors are perfect for more modern / contemporary houses, where more classic colors tend to look best on traditional homes and cottage styles even are brought out with another element.

Since your eave trim will remain white, here is my best guess without seeing the whole house. The brick is a nice mid-tone gray, so one way to help the garage door not pop out so much is to find just one shade paler in the same shade - about the tone of the grout to paint the garage door - and include the outline trim too / don't leave it white here since this particular opening is so large and then the trim will jump out at the eye. Your brick is wonderful - looks close to sw westchester gray to me, but you may need a lighter tone for the garage - you are trying to match the lightest tone in the brick.

As for your front door, leave all the trim and sidelight white, and just paint the door itself - your light fixtures, brick banding and entry appear fairly traditional. The scale is bigger than cottage, which is why I wouldn't go aqua or pale yellow here.

Traditional house entry door colors that would look great here - a kind of navy/royal is going to be terrific with the crisp white trim and it is very current as well as classic. If you have the budget, change your light fixtures out while they have so many great nautical inspired options. Instead of the expected navy royal tone - (test sw commodore if you want a bright navy tone), you might like the slightly more personal blue-green-gray tone of sw rainstorm - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6230-rainstorm/ It will still read as blue, but has more depth and interest
8 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 12:05PM
A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
I'm feeling a dark purple hue color. Or if you are into pastels... a sea foam color.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 12:06PM
This comes in a matte black that reads charcoal - http://www.lightingdirect.com/vaxcel-lighting-ow37001-single-light-outdoor-wall-sconce-from-the-hyannis-collection/p917910
comes in two sizes - so you can upsize by the garage and use people size at the entry.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 12:09PM
Georgia Mark
I would also paint the door black & the garage door the same colour. Add stainless steel door knobs or pewter knobs for the door. Add a pewter mail box. Saw a gorgeous one from Pottery Barn that says mail on the front of it. Plus it looks like an envelope! I picked up one for my daughter last month. It sure looks unique looking.
    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 12:31PM
reba120
Don't do what everyone else does - try something fun on the front door, like eggplant. You can always repaint. Then decide on the garage. Have fun!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 1:24PM
dkvhaus
I agree with those that suggest gray garage. The front door is the gateway to your home/castle. Therefore, it should be different from the garage door. Painting the front door and trim the same color family will enlarge the appearance of the front door. I like the blue (personally), but it is your house. So, homeowners associations do not limit you, then be creative
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 2:31PM
Karen Heffernan
Your front door and garage do not need to be the same color. I agree with the posters who suggest painting the garage doors a medium grey - that way, the garage doors are not the focal point of the front of your house. What's your favorite color? The glory of your house palette is that your front door can be just about any color you love - have fun with it!
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 2:43PM
moggiesmom
Love to see it a slick Red, " life's to short to wear beige" quote from My Mother, who loved purple all her 84 yrs! So for 46 yrs my door Has been different shades of red from Lipstick Red to Dark Maroon red, on a natural weathered grey House, still love It!
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:11PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I would paint them both. I would also stain the steps and walkway to jazz it up a bit.
    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 8:57PM
Nancy
What about a dark grey/charcoal garage door and an orange (not yellowy orange, a rich orange) door like this one:

4 Likes    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 5:54AM
debtec
I would do a charcoal grey on the garage door and a barn red for the front door.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 10:53AM
happyasaclam
I'm glad to see so many suggestions about painting the garage door! Everybody in our neighborhood that replaces their old wood garage doors with white or off white metal doors leaves them that way. I am assuming these are metal doors, however! I'm getting some ideas!!!!
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 7:16AM
Jolene Zacarello Robinson
Rolox Bronze for both. Possibly the eaves as well. Too much white.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 7:23AM
pivoines
Garages should not be emphasized they are utilitarian at best. If you could replace the top row panel to one with windows it would lighten the heaviness of it, then paint it trying to match the grey of the brick , thats all it needs.
What is your favorite color ? the rest of your house is neutral and any color you choose for your front door will do nicely. Red, turquoise, dark navy, marine blue, pick any, and it will look great. that house looks really nice, add another big flower container in the corner next to the door to liven it up, and I would also add a wreath appropriate for the season on the door, it will make it welcoming. Have fun, it is charming already.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 7:52AM
Debp
Yes - garage doors should blend in - front doors should stand out!!! Gray for the garage and something fabulous for your entry!
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 8:30AM
loves2read
You can choose one shade of color for garage doors then paint the frame/trim for them in lighter or darker tone...
but front door would be better in totally different color for contrast/accent...
don't leave any trim around it white though...
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 8:42AM
Anoura Xirks_Logan
blue. dark blue. I like the white garage door. it looks clean.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:34AM
mpoulsom
gray on the garage door to play it down for sure! and a fun color on the front door that you love! Could be in the orange, eggplant, blue, green, yellow, or red family! What;s your favorite color!!!!???????????????
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:48AM
Genevieve
Those were the same bricks that we had on our previous home the door was painted grey but later on I panted it green ,
1 Like    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:38AM
happyasaclam
Genevieve, what how would you paint the trim around the door and sidelight?
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:07AM
You would match that trim to your eaves and around the windows happy - you could stick with white, as here, or if you were painting the whole house, you might choose a variant on the neutral gray - pale tin gray for instance, or you could find a charcoal that was in the same gray hue. Start a new discussion with a photo of your place - we will help
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 12:24PM
mpoulsom
only paint the actual door the color! keep the trim and sidelight in the white trim color!

]
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 1:02PM
indianpatti
a soft, muted teal
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 1:19PM
Need help with furniture arrangement
Could this small space accommodate a sectional? Also,...
camping1964
Advice on my vignette of pottery
Hi houzzers! I started collecting some pottery and...
rickster88
How to choose the right tile floor color for our new kitchen?
We are planing to get to get new walnut cabinets for...
Yael Perry
need help with window treatments
I do not like curtains or draperies. Are plantation...
lisapil
Recommend a durable 8x10 Natural Fiber Rug
Want to purchase a natural fiber rug (8x10) for our...
lkdegregorio