Kitchen layout dilemma
Jennifer Kickham
October 7, 2013 in Polls
Redesigning the kitchen to our new house and am torn between more cabinet storage & an open-concept. I want all areas to flow, but am concerned that I won't have enough storage space with layout #2. Which layout would you choose?
Layout #1
Layout #1
Layout #2
Layout #2
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
smileyface2013
I see what you mean by the open floor plan, but I don't think there's enough upper cabinet space in the second option, so I am voting for #1.
October 7, 2013 at 4:11PM      Thanked by Jennifer Kickham
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed with layout 1 in favor of more storage. The dining room would feel more formal in that case.
October 7, 2013 at 5:52PM   
m3459
I would choose layout number 2 for the open feeling. Any chance for not feeling closed off from wherever the action is. Plus a buffet space for dining, which is very useful when entertaining.
October 7, 2013 at 6:04PM   
PRO
Moss Yaw Design studio
The second layout seems to create a much more open feel throughout without sacrificing significant storage space. One option would be to omit the small counter/upper cabinet at the wall adjacent to the fridge, in order to create a compete full height storage wall/pantry unit, since there is a fair amount of usable counter space at the main island and L-extension between the kitchen + dining (at opt. 2).
Also, possibly consider moving 2 stools to the L-extension (facing the kitchen), for more seating options and increased interaction, as well as the opportunity for additional storage at the short end of the main island (towards the window) or room for shallow built-in cabinetry below the window.
Hope that helps, and good luck with the renovation!
October 7, 2013 at 9:06PM      Thanked by Jennifer Kickham
Jennifer Kickham
Thank you for your ideas!! We are very much leaning to option #2 and are trying to think of creative ways to add more storage. Any other creative ideas welcome (including other layout options).
October 7, 2013 at 10:09PM     
smileyface2013
I love windows. You have lots of windows. In plan 2, you could exchange the window next to the stove for an upper cabinet. You will still have lots of windows, and assuming the large picture window can be opened, you'll still get good ventilation.
October 8, 2013 at 4:59AM   
Angel18432
I vote for plan #1. Lots of cupboards and we can never have enough cupboards.
I think not putting kitchen cupboards in the dining room would make it easier to decorate.
Also think re-sale with plan #2.
October 8, 2013 at 5:21AM   
Mahmood Al_Turani
I like it open in option 2, and u still can have cupboards above your island

October 8, 2013 at 5:49AM      Thanked by Jennifer Kickham
PRO
TheRTAStore.com
We would vote for plan #1. You can never have too much storage. Plan #1 still allows you to have the open space you want with great light and has a nice flow to it.

With plan #2 the counter next to the stove may wind up being a space where people will have a "free" surface to lay things down. Its close to the stove and could present a problem. You will always be clearing that space of clutter. Also with putting kitchen cabinets in the dinning room it looks a little strange and could be a pain to always have to walk into the dinning room to get something for the kitchen.
October 8, 2013 at 5:54AM