Need help designing spare room/office
Naomi Rutledge
October 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi guys! I really need some design ideas for my spare room/office, I've gone blank and I'm not very creative :/ I've just bought a new desk set and I'm waiting on the bookshelf to arrive in same timber. We rent here so the old awkward cupboard needs to stay as it came with the house and only fits here and we have no linen cupboard so this is it... Any ideas and suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dalma darling
Hi Naomi, happy to help! Has the new desk set arrived? I'd put the desk (assuming it fits) under the window. Maybe shelving with books and artwork on the wall to the left when you enter the room. I actually think the cupboard is a great piece - work around it and have fun. I'll look forward to an update.
October 7, 2013 at 8:59PM   
karemore55
If you are renting, I assume you can't paint the walls. So it would be good to bring in a little color through accessories. Working with the red tones of the linen armoire and your desk and bookshelves, blues and greens will look lovely in here.
I like the idea of some soft, feminine touches pairing with the masculine lines of the desk and the somewhat serious purpose of the room.

I would float your desk in the room in front of the window, so that it is perpendicular and about even with then.french doors. I would then put the bookcase on an angle in the corner between the window and the French doors. Then, on the wall where you currently have all the bookcases, put a piece of co,ored furniture, maybe a small dresser in a chalky grey, and hang a beautiful picture over it. You will see this picture often when you look up from your desk, so it is essentially a focal point. Place a floor lamp beside your desk, hang pretty curtains on the window behind you (making the window the focal point when you walk into the room, and make sure that the items in the top few shelves of your bookcase are beautiful to look at. Anything that can be hidden in covered boxes should be. And not too many "little items" on these shelves - just one or two solid pieces, such as vases will look great. Ikea sells decorative storage boxes and magazine holders - maybe get them all white for a nice, cohesive look.

Enjoy your new home!
October 7, 2013 at 9:01PM     
karemore55
I meant to say "on the wall where you currently have all the boxes..." - brain getting ahead of my fingers lol!
October 7, 2013 at 9:03PM