Pergola, covered or open the 4 season patio
rustymic
October 7, 2013 in Polls
Hi Houzzers :)
Big design dilemma and the house isn't even built. The city of Calgary needs us to specify if our patio will be covered, open or pergola or exact mix of those listed. We don't like maintance but love the look of pergola, it sits about 12 feet above the ground, faces south, gets really hot in the summer, we could add sunlights, want to have a firepit somewhere and an eating/BBQ area. Any thoughts? Tips, ideas? Desperate for help- need to decide by Thursday ps removed outdoor fireplace already... Just need to decide look of pillars too
Covered patio
Covered with sunlights
Eaves - no cover?
Pergola
Comments??
rawketgrl
Covered patio without skylights = less maintenance. Put in lighting, can lights on dimmers work well. Be sure there are various outdoor plug ins out there too. I regret not putting in two more.
October 7, 2013 at 10:41PM     
rustymic
My dd thinks you wouldn't use a covered deck and It may make the house dark, I like the idea of leaving the furniture out...all year.
October 8, 2013 at 6:19AM   
Angel18432
From my personal experience I would go for some kind of covered deck enclosed with screens and also some open deck for sunning. We have both incorporated into our home and use the enclosed area more than the open area.

Can use it for a longer period of time (we live in Canada also). Also, keeps bugs out and gives us privacy from neighbors.

We are planning on putting a Dimplex fireplace (electric) into the covered area for a little warmth in the fall and ambiance in the summer.

Good point about lots of electrical outlets out back. They usually don't put in enough.
I want to do a fountain, but need an outlet.
October 8, 2013 at 6:29AM     
rustymic
Pink is covered eaves and yellow is pergola? Maybe throw firepit in between?
What do you think?
October 8, 2013 at 9:44AM   
Angel18432
Hard to see plans, but can you extend roof over area next to pergola to give you a nice size
room for a covered room.
October 8, 2013 at 5:16PM   
Jolene
Had a open patio and it was useless for us and required a lot of painting mainly was to keep it looking good. We did a giant roofed patio and it has helped extend our outdoor time. We have two fans and couldn't be happier!!!!
October 8, 2013 at 8:24PM   
Jolene
We live in Ca and we are outside all the time!
October 8, 2013 at 8:25PM     
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Need help looking for kitchen backsplash.
Help need finding the right kitchen backsplash with...
Help - Impossible Living Room Layout!
Hello, I'm moving into a small condo in a few weeks...
Removing walls and updating staircase rails to open up entrance
I'd like feedback on my entry. I am thinking of removing...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...