WHAT KIND OF HOUSE IS THIS??
defender808
2 questions:
What kind of house is this?
What the heck do I do with these paneled walls? stained deep 1 1/2 pine?

I just bought this house on the north shore of chicago and all I know is it was built in the 1920's. The inspection netted that it needs some foundation work, needs new electrical, needs HVAC, needs a little bit of roof repair, the floors are not level in some of the rooms.
Can someone answer my 2 questions and give me some insight into the rooms you see. Any good advise is appreciated. I am a first time home buyer.
apple_pie_order
Looks like a beautiful Craftsman with unusually large number of windows to me.

The panelling is the distinctive feature of the interior. It also has insulation value. I suggest you simply clean it.

Redo the floors before you move in. Light to medium floors will make the house feel lighter.

The big arched window will need custom window treatments. Hold off on those for a year while you get a feeling for the light during four seasons.

When you start your fix-up, buy a batch of incandescent bulbs to put in the existing fixtures. use the brightest they will take. The bright, good quality light will help you see and the extra cost of using incandescents for a month or so instead of CFLs will be negligible compared to the other expenses.
7 Likes   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 6:25AM
I think apple is saying that good ole incandescents produce the best light! Surprise, surprise, surprise! You've found a gem - be diligent to maintain its valuable originality.
4 Likes   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 6:29AM
I too was going to say Craftsman-esque. I sure do see a lot of potential- good buy;))
Nancy
What a beautiful house. In answer to your 2nd question: I think you should give the house to me and you'll never need to think of the panelling again. Right then, next question!
10 Likes   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 6:38AM
l34nelson
Yes, I agree Craftsman Bungalow style. It is a beautiful home!
5 Likes   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 6:42AM
defender808
Ha! Thank you Fancie. We feel blessed to have gotten this house. TO ALL respondents: We are expecting first child in Feb, haven't moved in yet, I feel like I have to, pull carpet, deep clean, tuck point brick foundation, update electrical (its tube and pipe right now), figure out how we are gonna heat this thing (boiler is old, radiators are kinda dirty), and then decide what I am going to paint or leave alone. The place has almost no lights in the original parts of the house. phew. Help!
2 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:44AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I would say it is a craftsmen style.
1 Like   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 6:47AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Wow. Charming! lovely setting! I would tear up that bad carpet and put Lighter floating floor if theres not wood under the carpet...if there is, just have it re-finished lighter than the rest of the dark wood... Lots of potential here.... think beautiful area rugs, art, Stickley furniture that will show off in this house... LOVE the pergolas and the whole exterior. HOLY COW. location, location, location.
3 Likes   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 6:47AM
defender808
Thank you. There is the original pine (Wide panel floors) under all of the carpet in the house. Great except its NOT level it dips like almost 2 1/2 inches in some areas of the house. Refinished would be awesome but we don't wanna walk on a slope in our house. I am trying to figure out why now..a framing member, foundation, I have some pros coming to look.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:54AM
Kustom Home Design
This is a bungalow style home although it has some characteristics that make it appear as if it has been modified from it's original design. Is this the street side or front facade of the home? Typically bungalow homes have a covered veranda that extends across the front facade and an easily recognizable entry door that is typically glass-paned. You might want to do some research to see if the house has been modified. This will also help you to decide what elements are truly original to the home. You may want to take greater care in preserving the original detailing and materials, but allow yourself more leeway with non-original elements and materials.
3 Likes   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 7:04AM
apple_pie_order
You probably already know you should test for lead paint and read your state's guidelines on safe dealing with it. There may be additional guidelines for pregnant women. The house may have asbestos, too.

Good thing you have found pros already. Health and safety first, decoration second. Collect photos in your Houzz ideabooks to keep you inspired.

There are several experienced flooring experts on Houzz who post on discussions. If you start a new thread on the pine floorboards, some may chime in with useful advice.
1 Like   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 7:25AM
Maguire
I'm wondering if this was built as a cure cottage. During 1870-1945 large bungalow/craftsman homes with new architectural elements, extensive windows, glassed-in porches, sliding windows, etc., were built for the wealthy, believing that fresh air and lots of light helped cure tuberculosis, which had no cure at the time. I dont know of any outside New York state but it sure resembles one. Or it may have been modified simply to take advantage of the views. I'd suggest stopping by the local building department and library for more information. It's a beauty. I hope you can update it without losing too much of its uniqueness. Congratulations and good luck.
6 Likes   Thanked by defender808    October 8, 2013 at 7:40AM
Sustainable Dwellings
You may need to jack up and beam it... then have it sanded and re-finished... wide boards/planks are great! I would look into some archectural salvage outlets for some special stuff to finish this house out right.
3 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 7:02PM
Donatelli Builders, Inc
Beautiful family home! It appears to be a mix of craftsman and bungalow, which is very common in the Midwest. I would have all the floors done before you move in and take care of the electrical and heating safety issues. Also check for lead paint and asbestos-wrapped pipes. I agree that you should also take care of the roof right away, too. Not fun to spend money on that but worth it. You can brighten up the interior with colorful furniture and accessories until you can get to painting. Painting the front door and planting some colorful flowering annuals will go a long way and both are inexpensive. Hope you have wonderful family memories for many years!
3 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 12:50PM
defender808
Here's what I found when I took the carpet up. Southern yellow pine. Original and solid no sponginess with a little unlevel. Insights??
10 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 12:56PM
Jackpot!;)
12 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 12:58PM
defender808
Roof is 6 years old on plywood nailed to the space sheathing that originally had cedar shake.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 12:58PM
defender808
More hunting for floor pics
4 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 1:03PM
defender808
And more. Thanks to all in advance for comments or paint or design comments.
3 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 1:05PM
Donatelli Builders, Inc
Congrats on the home and the baby on the way! We specialize in home renovation; we've done recent projects on the North Shore and are about to start a kitchen remodel there over the next few weeks. Feel free to check out our Houzz profile and give us a call if we can help talk you through anything. Let's see if we're a fit to work together. I know you're on a time crunch. We can discuss items to do sooner rather than later, perhaps a Phase I and Phase II. Look forward to hearing from you. - Chris Donatelli Office: 630-289-9981; chris@DonatelliBuilders.com; www.DonatelliBuilders.com
2 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 1:19PM
apple_pie_order
The floors look like they'll be in excellent shape after refinishing. Have you gotten estimates on all the work you've identified already? When do you plan to move in?
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 1:35PM
carolannr
Before you start anything cosmetic on this old beauty, have that foundation checked. It may be that its giving a little and that is what is causing the floor levels problem or it could simply be some weak floor joists. I'd do the major mechanical and electric before I even moved in. The ancient wiring is dangerous! First of all, the safety of your family is your top priority so give yourself time to refinish floors and pick paint colors.
6 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 5:06PM
defender808
Moving in around feb 15th. Mechanical, electric, and plumbing are top priority. The brick foundation is actually great condition. Though there is a spot where the house settled funny. My dog loves the yard.
4 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 5:26PM
Meghan
I love this house! It has so much character! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
2 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 5:38PM
carolannr
Congrats on the beautiful lot too! Sounds like a really good plan. Much luck and blessings for your family in your new home.
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 5:55PM
defender808
Thanks to all. This site is amazing. Trust I will be asking for input.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 5:57PM
deramin
Read anything written by Jane Powell, but particularly "Bungalow Interiors" (1). That's definitely a craftsman bungalow. Given the age of the house, keep a look out for signs that it's a kit house (stamps on exposed beam ends, for example).

Embrace the paneling; it's part of your home's heritage. It doesn't have to be gloomy, and won't be if you choose colors that compliment it rather than contrast with it (-ish colors work well; yellowish green, redish orange, greenish blue, brownish red, etc.) Consider milk paint (2), Benjamin Moore's historic colors (3), Sherwin-Williams historic colors, Yolo Colorhouse (5), or Ellen Kennon paints (6). The wood is probably old growth of better quality than you can get today. It was one way of bringing the outdoors in. Bring color in through fabrics (upholstery, curtains, rugs, pillows) and artwork (prints, paintings, pottery, light fixtures). Practical, durable, beautiful, well made things.

Have someone examine the floor structure if it isn't level so you're sure it isn't a rotten beam or something. Likely the house has just settled. The earth isn't level, so it's a bit presumptuous of us to demand old floors to be. Slightly uneven floors are better for your feet muscles anyway. They bring charming character to your old home. These and other excuses are what you'll end up telling people who ask why you didn't "fix" them, because the truth is it's too expense to bother with, and if such things really annoy you, there are going to be a hundred other things that drive you even crazier about living in an old home. Do not impose your will on it. It is a member of your family now and it has it's own stubborn opinions about what you're going to do with it. If you don't listen it will just throw a very expensive tantrum.

Assume the paint has lead in it. If any of it is dusting or chipping, strip it (I've heard great things about infrared strippers) or get a professional to strip it. DO NOT SAND IT! Lead paint dust is seriously toxic to children and causes permanent cognitive damage. It's worth the endless tedium of paint stripping to protect your kid. The clear varnish or shellack over the wood is not a health hazard.

Find a really good electrician and have them inspect the home's wiring. Inspectors and electricians disagree about old wiring. A good electrician can work with the original wiring if it's in good shape. An inexperienced electrician cannot.

Dirty things can be cleaned and repainted. Many old things work better than new ones. Don't replace things because they are old but because they don't work and actively detract from your joy in the house. Read a book about the Craftsman movement and the role bungalows played in growing a strong middle class. See your house as the manifestation of some of the best ideas and execution this country ever had.

(1) http://www.amazon.com/Bungalow-Details-Interior-Jane-Powell/dp/1586853058/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y
(2) http://www.vandykes.com/milk-paint-quart/p/200658/
(3) http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=2&ce_col=HC
(4) http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-collection/historic-collection/arts-and-crafts-interior/
(5) http://www.yolocolorhouse.com/#1
(6) http://www.ellenkennon.com/
5 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 11:34PM
brandicebright
If the floors need to be redone to level them up you should consider under floor heating! Nice craftsman style home, what a charmer!
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 11:44PM
Janice Crow-Roberts
Love this style of home!!!!!
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 2:19AM
tsudhonimh
Oh wow! That's an awesome place. As a veteran of several old-house renovations, my advice is to take your time. Take careful measurements, figure out where you want new outlets and lighting, plan for (and stub out) any plumbing additions.

The slightly unlevelness is normal in old houses. Sometimes you can jack up a beam (or have to replace one), and sometimes you can shim the floor, but it's not going to be concrete-patio level.

That big room just needs a big oriental rug and some comfy couches. Then sit in it and look out the window and snuggle your baby.

It's very Craftsman, and doesn't appear to have been bashed too badly by remodeling ... I think intense colors, lots of natural wood, metallic wallpapers.
1 Like   November 6, 2013 at 4:31AM
Coda Design + Build
It is a very wonderful home. It is a turn of the century craftsman style with prairie influence. The craftsman style is reflected more on the exterior, and the prairie is defined more in the interior with the extensive oak paneling and detailing. There are many homes of similar style through out the North Shore, and specifically Wilmette and Highland Park. What makes your home very unique, is the massing of the home which allows for both styles to flourish.

Most turn of the century homes tend to be dark inside due to the limited windows and dark paneling. Your home appears to have an abundance of light, which is attractive to the homeowners in today's market.

Prior to altering the paneling and wood, I would recommend creating a full list of priorities for the home - from how you intend to use it, what you would like to do to improve it, and prioritize the list. The work you describe - new electrical and hvac can dramatically impact the finishes of the panels, floors etc. It is best to do that work first, and then finish off the walls, panels, etc.

Last year, we hosted a ecoBuild home tour in Wilmette, and we featured a home similar to yours. They are fantastic spaces when re-modeled correctly.
4 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 5:58AM
nikrubio
Beautiful, beautiful and more beautiful. You really scored a winner with this one. Well done and good luck.
1 Like   November 6, 2013 at 8:52AM
soberg
This beautiful house is worth every bit of the time and attention you will undoubtedly pour into it over the years to come as you feather it to accommodate your growing family. You can see how it has plucked the heartstrings of so many Houzzers...

The easiest decision is to pull the carpet up all over the house. You will need rugs though.... If the carpet is still good and money is tight, consider getting rugs cut from it and bound to use for warmth and softness while you look for your forever rugs.
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:05AM
Coda Design + Build
Your home looks to be a fantastic project, and we are glad you "like" our comment. As we are based out of the North Shore, please let us know if we can be assistance. Our phone number is 847.920.9700 ex 1.
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:19AM
Laurie
What an amazing house! You are so lucky to find that gem, even if it is a little rough right now. I would love to have a Craftsman home, but I can't afford a restored one and I can't afford to do the restoring. I can dream though. And look a pictures. :)

Which I did. I looked at your photos and wow! you have an wonderful house. Did anyone mention cleaning the woodwork through out the house? I didn't read all the replies, but a good cleaning will lighten and brighten up the wood. I noticed there is some fading on some floors, you may need to refinish them if hey don't clean up well. Actually, I would refinish all the floors and give them a good thick coat of polyurethane. That will protect them nicely and keep them from scratching so easily.

Good luck to you. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. :)
1 Like   November 6, 2013 at 4:57PM
rosecafe
Well if your dog loves the yard, what else is there to do but leave well alone and live in it. Dogs are Crafty too : )
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 4:25AM
rosecafe
One more thing... Why don't you visit the local Historic Archives in your town library or County Planning offices and see if you uncover some history on your house. It's clearly got some distinctive design features and will have been built by a quality builder and quite likely for a person of some note 'back in the day'. Perhaps the local doctor, a local business person or the like. They may even be buried up the road in the local cemetery. Now I'm hoping your dog doesn't turn them up before you do : ) And by the way, what a great house and garden !
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 2:51AM
kristylou
YOU ARE SO BLESSED! I can't explain how jealous I am over here looking at all these pictures. A craftsman style home is my dream home and one that isn't brand spanking new is even better. I am def going to keep following your post to watch this beauty come back to life! Congrats on expecting; looks like that main room has lots of space for a little one to toddle around in!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:05AM
I'm not sure of type of house? Maybe a Cape Cod. With homes this old, there will be problems. First thing get foundation fixed sounds like a big problem, get a few quotes before deciding. With winter here, might have to wait till spring to fix?? The house needs updating. I would remove all wood paneling, It. Makes house very dark. Paint a nice dove gray, pick one from Benjamin Moore, they have great colors. Do whole house one color. Then work from there. Love all the great windows. This is a great place. Congrats on first home.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:11AM
Also get quotes on changing front door. Something bigger, add rails and a path up to door out of flagstone. Do hat across front of house on ground. Is that French doors where does it lead? Be nice to update those to bigger. Remove screen. They have retractable ones now. In spring put some wicker furn on front patio. Use all yr space.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:14AM
Take out carpet. Add lighter colored wood floors. Adds value. Carpet in bedrooms ok. But down stairs should be wood.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:17AM
halfpint2
Beautiful home!! I agree, this is a Prairie or Craftsman Bungalow.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:20AM
halfpint2
PS: Do some research on this style home for inspiration. Please post pictures of your progress!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:22AM
Collette Tattman
With new baby on the way I suggest a check for asbestos insulation/ tiles and lead paint would take priority over anything and should also be part of your offer when considering purchase price. Removal of both is costly but both can be sealed (ie paint over the lead paint) if done right, with no risks unless you want to get into disturbing it during a reno.
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 9:28AM
Craftsman and boy are you lucky to own it ! Fabulous house.

0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:31AM
wifemothergoddess
Just wanted to stop in and admire your lovely new home and the lot. Lucky you!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 11:54AM
shamo1
Wicked cool
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 5:24PM
jorielw
long time midwestern 20s homeowner
I hope 'travisinteriors' is NOT a professional 'firm' . They are wrong about 'Cape Cod', it is a FANTASTIC Craftsman bungalow AND, IF you decide to take out (!!!) the paneling, rather than clean/refinish it after carefully testing to see best approach, PLEASE SELL IT IMMEDIATELY to some one ELSE in the area who correctly identified it, suggested you refinish the floors (which will lighten them) and, and who will as DERAMIN suggested "embrace the heritage. It would be a crime to remove or paint the paneling! (OF COURSE, safety issues, lead, asbestos repair of foundation, electrical renovation are necessary first )
2 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 1:23AM
Laurie
I read this article the other day and am quite glad I did. I too have an older house with the original bathtub. I will be replacing mine. Passing the article along for you . http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20131019-old-bathtubs-found-to-pose-lead-exposure-risks-for-children.ece
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 8:21AM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
A charming home, that's what kind of house is will be!
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 8:50AM
rosecafe
Travisinteriors, clearly is not Travisexteriors. What style would you say this one was Travis?
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 11:57PM
Need help in whitewashing cedar.
I've gotten this far with the bathroom and need to...
diy1959
Desperately seeking color!
Hello, amateur here! I have recently renovated a small...
feltovic
Fireplace
I would love to create a look like the one I found...
Windermere Homes & Estates
New Bathroom dilema
I am doing new bathroom, think will go for black ceramic...
meteiny
front walk way
what stain color would look the best? my door is a...
mramirez85