Cat destroys couch!
Sasha Retana
Especially the arms. I want to get slip covers but only for the arms. I've seen them at old ladies' houses but have no clue what they're called or where you get them. Please advise!
Interiors International, Inc.
I order them with all the sofas I get for my clients. Have you considered declawing the cat?
   October 8, 2013 at 7:33AM
Sasha Retana
What are they??
   October 8, 2013 at 7:45AM
Mari O'Connor
Do NOT declaw the cat. Imagine having all of your fingernails pulled out and then walking on your fingertips, and the pain that would rush through your fingers every time that you placed it on the ground. Don't do it!!! (This from a woman who did declaw her cat, many, many years ago, and then my cat was killed when she escaped outside, and had no defense. Terrible way to learn: DO NOT DECLAW A CAT. There's a reason that they have claws.)

I'm guessing that your cat isn't very old. Young cats claw furniture, to sharpen their nails. Go to the local pet store, ASAP, and buy something for your cat to use to sharpen her/his nails, sprinkle a bit of cat nip on the scratching post/board and let your cat have at it. Another idea that I've used with success (to stop an item from being chewed by my daughter's dog) is to mix up dish soap and pepper and to smear it on the furniture a bit (should wash off easily, but try it out first. Place it in a spot where you won't see it easily and only add a little). Your cat might try to scratch that area, get the pepper on her claws, lick her paws...and never return to that horrible spot again. Refresh with new dish soap/pepper if you see a return.

I have my daughter's 3-legged dog living with us at present, and she loves to perch on the arms of the sofa, the better to see outside. I put a cover on the sofa so that there is less worry about her sharp nails and her shedding. I put a full cover over the sofa, which works well. You can get ideas from Amazon. Here are a few that might work for you. Good luck!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Textile-Microfiber-Furniture-Protector/dp/B0067VHJSW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1381243209&sr=8-6&keywords=sofa+arm+covers
http://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Pocket-Rest-Organizer-Table-Top/dp/B0032JSF4O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381243209&sr=8-3&keywords=sofa+arm+covers
   October 8, 2013 at 7:45AM
sunnydrew
There are wireless gadgets that have a long plastic mat with a very low shock effect when the cats steps on it. You can use it for training and then you can just lay the mat on the couch with out the shock effect and the cats will stay off because they learn quickly. It is hard to have everything covered for your pet, but that is another way if you allow them on any furniture. Just let them know where they can go with their own Fuzzy throw. They will always go there to nap. Scratching is really a problem and I have worked with clients who had throw out 4 couches at one time due to the ruined upholstery. I would not make them eat pepper or soap, may make them sick. It does seem very cruel to de-claw a cat, but it is the sure fire way to stop damage from scratching. You can always put plastic covers on their claws. I will say that if they spray/pee on the furniture, you must get rid of them, because that will not stop. Female cats will do that despite what people say.
   October 8, 2013 at 7:59AM
Sasha Retana
I am not declawing my cat! These are high tech options! I just thought a slipcover I can remove and replace when it gets too ratty...
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 8:06AM
sunnydrew
You can use a lot of things just on the arms. Look for large dinner napkins, they would be the right size. Or a nice kitchen or small hand towel. Any thing that blends with your fabric and will stay on the arm by itself.
   October 8, 2013 at 8:22AM
nikawareham
They sell a spray called feliway that is supposed to keep cats away from things and it supposedly calls them. I trim the point on my cats nails so he can't do as much damage. They are just arm covers you're talking about they used to come on the furniture to match. I would just go to big lots or something angel get a slipcover for the whole couch, the stretchier(not a real word) the better my cat doesn't like it as much. Good luck!
   October 8, 2013 at 8:33AM
Glass or Acrylic splashback ?
husband is building wall behind bbq recess with hardwood...
Lamp suggestions for entry table
Can someone please help me pick out a lamp that would...
Upholstering Question???
I have 2 lovely Henredon love seats from years ago....
Living room furniture placement in new home
Hi, We moved into our new home a few weeks ago and...
Moving toilet 180.
Remodeling a bathroom and I am wondering...is it very...