Best flooring for kitchen dining and living room
Jennifer Hight
Planning a total kitchen remodel. Currently have tile in the kitchen and hard wood in the dining and living room. I would like the look of all dark wood thru the whole level. I am concerned with durability and upkeep on the dark wood since I have 2 kids and a dog. I am open to different wood materials. So what type of wood material should I use or should I use tile in the kitchen and wood in the other areas?
mazerolm
Hello

Just sharing my experience here: We bought a house a few months ago. It's an open area concept and has very dark hardwood floors in the kitchen, dining and living room. I also have two boys (1 year-old and 5-year old) and I find that the place where the floor gets the dirtiest is in the dining room. I put a small, easy to clean (looks like plastic and has memory foam underneath) runner in the kitchen where I do most of the food preparing and I find that the floor does not get more abuse than other places.

It does look really good! So I say if you're already used to having hardwood in your dining room, than it won't be much different having it in the kitchen as well. Just make sure your dishwasher will not leak!
October 8, 2013 at 11:06am        Thanked by Jennifer Hight
Cancork Floor Inc.
Perhaps you can compromise and look at cork flooring? A cork floating floor can be used in kitchens with great success. A site-finish can be applied to make the floor water resistant to surface spills. The same floor can be used throughout the dining area (with or without the finish) to offer a "wood-like" planked floor. When it comes to "dirt" you want to stay with a matte or satin finish. The higher the gloss, the more dirt/dust you can see. This is true for any flooring type...expecially in the darker finishes.
October 8, 2013 at 12:56pm        Thanked by Jennifer Hight
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Did I make the right call?
I have added new backsplash. In my eyes I believe...
Height of wall faucet over vessel sink
Debating how high to install this faucet over the rim...
Architect - just drawings or for project management?
We're building a new construction and are really trying...
Need help furnishing this basement
I need help picking out furniture for my new basement....