Double sided fireplace in open floor plan
sabeena78
We are building a house that is very open floor plan, and the family room is basically open to the LR and DR except for a 5 foot column that will have a double sided FP in it. I wanted to make the FP pretty modern looking or as modern as I could afford - and the builder came up with the idea of putting a big black granite surround (6-8 in) on it - no mantel and no hearth. but then he thought maybe on the side that faces the LR to do a more formal FP with a mantel and hearth. Will that look weird - to have it different on each side?
Bobby Sanders -- Sanders Design Build
Yes it seems that it would be better to have them both be the same or similar on both sides. It really depends on how you plan on decorating the two rooms as well...
October 8, 2013 at 9:37am      Thanked by sabeena78
Mitchell Channon Design
I agree! The fireplace is the "island" between these different spaces that should function as the unifying element. It should not be "formal" on one side and less so on another. It can have decorative elements on one side that are not on all sides but the aesthetic needs to be the same and designed as one object. The least complicated and sure fire direction is to just treat it the same on all sides.
October 8, 2013 at 9:45am      Thanked by sabeena78
sabeena78
Thank you - this is useful - I should mention the LR side has an art niche above it. Do you think it would look ok to do the more "modern" look on both sides given the art niche?
October 8, 2013 at 9:47am   
sabeena78
Also is this something we could do less expensively and more creatively after market?
October 8, 2013 at 10:33am   
Bobby Sanders -- Sanders Design Build
I would forgo the art niche all together-- and stick with he modern look on both sides. If you want to highlight your art- consider placing a few directional lights from the ceiling. In a few years that art niche might seem a little out of date and out of place.
October 8, 2013 at 11:09am      Thanked by sabeena78
Bobby Sanders -- Sanders Design Build
It is usually cheaper to build this in all at once, however there are some good manufacturers out there that have peninsula fireplaces. I would recommend you do it now and save the cost of demo and retro fitting.
October 8, 2013 at 11:12am   
Fireplace help in open floor plan
Hello all. We are building a home with an open floor...
making a double sided fireplace from a one sided fireplace
Looking to open my Living Rm firelplace on the other...
Single sided to a double sided fireplace
I have a sunken living room with a single sided fireplace....
Open floor plan vs defined space floor plan?
Do you prefer open an floor plan where all rooms are...
Double-sided Fireplace?
Who is the manufacturer of that insert?
Entryway revamp question.
I want to replace my 36x83 front exterior door with...
Need advice for addtion
I am adding an addition over my garage. The exterior...
cooktop in island without hood
Does my island need a hood over the cooktop even if...
damp walk out basement
Musty smell in basement rooms.