Help for white wall apartment double bedroom. No painting allowed;
chicagobelle2
October 8, 2013
I was so impressed by the advice I got about the outdated blue bathroom that I've decided to reach out for help with the all white bedroom dillemma as well.

Dillema: In an effort to save up for a home, I am renting a one bedroom and will share the bedroom with my daughter. The bedroom (about 14ft) has white walls, standard beige carpets and a decent size window. SInce I cant paint the walls, I'd like to figure out a way to warm up the room and make the best of the situation by makign it cozy, warm and practical.
I would also like to incororate as much of what I already have to begin with. (I'll attach photos) I have two twin mattresses already and I recently found 2 brass headboards from CL for a steal. I also have two twin bedding sets in yellow. And I also have some Ikea pieces (dresser, shelves).

I'd ike to add curtains and would like color suggestions. I'm also open to a whole new bedding color suggestion as well. As a matter of fact, just share all your suggestions! lol.

***Please excuse the bedroom vague pictures, these were the only ones that the leasing agent had of the place. The room can comfortably accomodate the two beds and the room has two large closets (one wall and one walk in). Soon as I get my keys I'll take some more photos.
chicagobelle2
add'l items mentioned that I have on hand

I bought the blue curtains (pic is from someone's blog just to show you what they look like) and the red curtain is just to show another color that they are available in.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 10:20AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
I will recommend to have 3 walls paint with a warm tan color and use the wall where will be your headboard as a wall accent where you can use a gray color very trendy now and will fit perfectly with your yellow bed set but if you decide to change it, gray is the "new neutral color today" and so you will be open to a lot of other colors for the future bed set!
    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:21AM
chicagobelle2
the blue curtains that I have
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 10:24AM
Since you can't paint, I'd go with yellow/white/gray scheme. Your current chest between the twin beds and a pretty yellow lamp on top. Gray/yellow curtains for the window would look nice with your bedding. Find a craigslist chair and paint it yellow and add a fresh fabric that will complement your bedding.
Not a Peep Curtain Panels, Yellow
Contemporary Citrus Yellow Small Gourd Accent Table Lamp
Yellow And Charcoal Chevron French Provincial Side Chair By Upcycled Home
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:25AM
Suzette Sherman Design
If it were my room I would paint an accent wall and then repaint it before I move. Paint is cheap and easy to do providing you're clean about it. But then I'm a designer and have done so to many of my past apt's ; - ) Or I'd put a lot of color in the room with bedspread, pillows, a chair, accessories, art, etc. There's lots of paint colors out there but only so many bedspread options. Start by selecting a bedspread and then work through everything else you need from there. You always have a starting point with a design scheme and there are only so many bedspreads on the market so pick one in a color you love!
    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:25AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
Depending on your budget, you could add some window treatment. Select a shade with a light tan color to blind with the walls and panels on the side that will bring vertical lines into the rooms and add some contrast while coordinating with the accent wall since gray should be the right option for selection of fabric used. You could have a fabric gray and a little bit of yellow as well which will match you bed set today. Sleek silver hardware will be perfect. See my concept of wall accent for your headboard wall on my pic bellow.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:27AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
If you are committed to a change...just update the curtain. Go for ready made ones if you do not have the budget and go for a gray pair of panels in any case (ready made or custom made)!
    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:33AM
chicagobelle2
I forgot to add the two project headboards that I found in brass...ofcourse I'm willing to paint them
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 10:40AM
hdyer
Don't be too hard on the white walls! I purposely painted my whole house white - walls and trim and I love the clean modern feel of it. It doesn't read as cold to me. You might like it more once you layer in other colours and prints. There are lots of ways to incorporate colour through fabrics and artwork.
The bold geometric yellow print on your beds is very bright, so you might want to keep that as your primary colour and work in additional colours in smaller doses - tourquoise, grey, coral all would work well for pillows, window coverings, artwork. The curtains in your picture might be too busy along with the bold geometric pattern on the beds, but you'd have to try it and see.
If you decide not to use the yellow linens on the beds, you could go with the curtains you have as the primary jumping off point and add a more neutral bedding.
Or, here's an idea for colour pallette inspiration - check out this fabric site for coordinated prints. You might see a colour combo you love, like the one I've attached. www.monaluna.com
Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:44AM
If you let us know what you want to keep (the blue curtains? get the red curtains? the yellow bedding?) we can help design around what you love and determine a great color for the headboards. What is your daughter's favorite color? :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:45AM
Like head boards don't paint them. Looks like you have one big wall to work with. Since you can't paint. Go color in windows and bedding. Do you want the yellow for bedding would work with brass headboards. Put beds on opposite sides of the window. Add dresser under window. Add bamboo shade to window with panels on ends. Go a print like trellis unless bedding is a design. Add poster art over beds. Above headboard hang 5" from top. In color. You might put a gold or tiger animal print, ottoman at foot of each bed. On side of beds on wall hang 2 square 24" 3" between mirrors in dark frames. Or yellow if that is accent color. Hang very low. Do both sides of room the same. Do same colors in bathrm. Use poster art in there too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:52AM
Small night stand same as dresser. Add small lamps.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 10:53AM
chicagobelle2
Darzy: Well, I'm already using the blue curtains for the living room so that is out. (unless I go get another set). I am actually open to anything (as long as it's affordable Target, Walmart, etc). My daughter and I love all colors! So that is easy. She really likes our yellow bedding set. I wouldnt mind seeing some ideas with the red one. But I would love to see others as well. I think the curtains are gonna be the determining factor for jazzing up the bedroom along with my cutie pie yellow bedding. :)
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 11:46AM
chicagobelle2
hdyer: great ideas embracing the white walls. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 11:47AM
Maguire
You have a great yellow and gray bedding set & gray dresser. Yellow, white, gray and black a few pops of red or blue - no need to bring in a lot more color. I love Darzy's and hdyer's suggestions with those colors in mind - so modern and still soothing for a room to relax and sleep in - and it works perfectly with your white walls. Save your $$$. Some Houzzers suggest paint only because you mention you can't - really helpful : p
How about some art? Do you like a sleepy time Thomas McKnight?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 12:13PM
chicagobelle2
I came across these curtains on Target website; thoughts?
I really like the grey and yellow on from Darzy above too.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:02PM
chicagobelle2
or is a plain grey better
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:08PM
Maguire
Like both grays but if you're going to go solid maybe a happy yellow? Or how about a gray and yellow stripe? Another pattern will be fine if it's not a bold geometric like the bedding. (all under $75 at wayfair.com) http://www.wayfair.com/JLA-Home-Tunisia-Polyester-Window-Panel-WIN4XX-JHA1806.html?piid%5B%5D=9247613
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 1:42PM
chicagobelle2
Oh okay I get it. Thanks. A yellow would brighten up the place. And thats what I want.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:46PM
chicagobelle2
Im also going to swing by Homegood and TJ Maxx to look around.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:49PM
Maguire
I'm so impressed with you and your efforts to save for a home! Brilliant! Check with the city you currently live or work in (if they are different, check both) in the housing department for programs to help you get into a home. Some are income restricted for low but also median and high median, some location, some first time buyer only, but I'd hate to see you miss out on something.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 2:05PM
chicagobelle2
Thanks so mucg for the info and encouragement Maguire!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 2:10PM
Could you arrange the beds like this….foot to foot? Twins are 75” long and your room is 14’. This arrangement would give each of you a bit of privacy and you could even hang a fabric panel from the ceiling between the two.
jamesthomas, LLC
Lottie Dots Decal, Gold other thought is to use decals to make the white walls more fun. They are affordable and removable.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 8, 2013 at 2:20PM
chicagobelle2
Wow I love those polka dots! I will check it out. Thx
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:04PM
Leslie Bean
Love the jamesthomas, look of the beds and the dots add a nice touch. Yellow curtains look uplifting. Great luck to you and your daughter on getting into a home of your own.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by chicagobelle2    October 11, 2013 at 2:22PM
Need help with small studio apartment.
I must turn this studio apartment space into a bedroom,...
clarkmichelle
Tell us about: Your first apartment
I remember mine well, the reasons I chose it, the roommate...
Difficult one-bedroom apartment layout
I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to configure...
amart912
Need help with my 500sq ft apartment layout
Hi, I'm close to completing on the purchase of the...
sampadbury
I need help with an L shaped open plan kitchen/ living room apartment.
I am starting from sratch converting a garage into...
zittzy
Need ideas for this room!
The front do ropes to this. Room but it is not the...
gailgug
Design dilemma
Need ideas for displaying department 56 snow village...
mlporter79
What did I do! Need help
I just had new tile installed all though my house....
ontime21
Need ideas for the bathroom/floor & empty wall.
I cannot seem to find the right picture for this bathroom...
decorcrazy
Working on making my master bedroom into an amazing oasis
I painted the outdated furniture and it came out great...
Elena Merchand