Do I need a wet bar close to the kitchen?
rokim5763
What to do. Half wall with cabinets on dinette side? Make a wet bar next to dinette area. I need to decide. Help.
Aa Maintenance
Help me with your picture, what angle am I looking at?
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:16AM
rokim5763
This is looking in through the dinette area and family room from the living room.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:21AM
Aa Maintenance
The last kitchen I did, I used a cut out instead of just building a half wall. Cabinets were installed on on the bottom with a pot light over the counter( pendants look good too). I kept bar ingredients in this area and had the full counter to mix, blend and create. It's always nice to have a full counter with no cabinets overhead. This bar space was on the kitchen side but my pass through went into the dining area. Either side can work as long as the flow of dining furniture is not a problem. Cabinets would be cheaper than buying a bar type furniture piece. Bottom line, I never regretted putting that bar space in!
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:24AM
If adding wet bar do on family rm side with shelves.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:25AM
Aa Maintenance
Ok, so now knowing the space, you have the perfect setting! It will be used and you won't regret it. I myself was happier doing a window cut out versus only a half wall because it seemed to keep the spaces defined more. My cutout opening was just above counter height to about 6 feet. I liked having the option of adding a shutter or something decorative to block the space if I needed a change. At one point I had a stained glass panel in the opening and could remove it from hooks if I wanted to talk to people on the other side while entertaining. Just ideas!
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:29AM
Aa Maintenance
I think you have to think about how you use the space. Where does your company usually end up? Keeping it in the less formal area keeps your formal living area clean.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:31AM
Aa Maintenance
If you did a half wall, shelves would not fit, but a pass through gives you room and keeps people connected. It's a matter of preferences now.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:34AM
colonialgp
Do you entertain a lot? What would you use the wet bar for? Have you had one in the past? If you have cocktail hour every day, yes, you might like one. Remember it's one more area to clean.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 11:35AM
Aa Maintenance
Putting the cabinets in for any use gives you added options. Wet bar, baking station, coffee counter with cookie jar... The point is, the space will be useful, as extra storage always is, and you need not be a daily drinker to have a wet bar. When I have company, the coffee maker gets set up there with dessert ,whether or not alcohol is consumed. A few cabinets are not going to make cleaning labour intensive.
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 11:43AM
Budget My Build
I agree with Aa Maintenance cabinets are very useful. We have a few blogs that could help with the process. http://budgetmybuild.co/kitchen-design/tips-perfect-kitchen-cabinets/ http://budgetmybuild.co/design-budget/purchasing-cabinets/
Lowes also has alot of ideas for cabinets. http://www.lowes.com/ideas-how-tos/kitchen-and-dining/_/N-2zbjj/npc
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 12:07PM
Need quick help with kitchen/wet bar lighting!!
We're in the process of remodeling. As you can see...
jdant
How do I update a wet bar? Granite? Soapstone? Wood?
I have a wet bar in a great room that falls right into...
wozzies
I need opinions/recommendations of compact refrigerators for wet bars
My husband and I are remodeling our living room and...
realtorsvs
Do I need a table in the kitchen if I have a bar with stools?
Thinking of eliminating the small table in the kitchen...
aberson
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Wood countertops, starting to crack
We built our house ourselves 2 years ago and bought...
chelseabeagle
Living room
Does the small brushed nickel end table suit this room...
teafortwo
Need help for my living room
hi to every one i have 2 red sofas and a black...
kareine
Whole house update?
My husband and I are considering purchasing a home...
elleannie