too large couch for room, what to do with the big wall, windows?

jenamreynosoOctober 8, 2013
We just moved into this house, and there is no money for a different couch, this one is too large really for the space. I can't rotate it the other way because then it will be right next to the fireplace and I can't use the fireplace. I would like to center the couch on the window but there is a walkway and so it needs to be pushed against the wall. So what do I do with the big wall space? I don't like the floating shelf because it seems like anything I put on it competes with the mantle. I am thinking of just leaving the window undressed to let in all the light. I think the room needs a large plant and or lamp on the side to balance the fact that it isn't centered on the window.
jenamreynoso
here is another angle, showing the throw on the shelf
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:01PM
First of all remove the dark rug. Not working with dark sofa. Which isn't that big. Can you take chaise off or would that not work? Remove shelve.cover-windows panels on ends only,and a abbot shade.keep 3/4 rolled up.it won't block light, and give you a finish look. .
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:05PM
Can you separate the sectional? The sofa centered under the window and the chaise under the quilt. (but, I'd remove the shelf/quilt and put art there.
    Bookmark   Thanked by jenamreynoso    October 8, 2013 at 1:06PM
Get a picture very tall 4 ft or more to go over firepl.in bold contemporary print and colors. At end of sofa on long wall and firepl add a floor mirror dark frame. Lean on wall secure on back. Pull sofa out of corner. Away from window by 2-3 ft. Behind it add sofa table narrow add 2 tall thin lamps with teal shades. Panels on windows go black and white chevron print. Put same print in pillows. On sofa. Add round 24" ottoman in front zebra would work. If you want area rug go 6 x9 in light gray. Extend rod out 10" on windows to fill that wall more may need 2 panels per side. Remove that mirror.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:14PM
Get a big 50" TV. Small screens look dated. Bigger screens fill walls better.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:16PM
I see another room in back? Can sofas be switched? Let's see that room. Do you have to have TV in this room? Seems strange?
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:20PM
I see you have a ottoman pull out to center of sofa 18" from front add a zebra throw to break up the solid dark.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:22PM
colonialgp
Push the sofa to the right so the back legs are off the rug. It looks so scrunched up against the wall right now. Get rid of the ottoman - it's too much of the same fabric. Swap out the pillows for some fun prints. replace the rug for a happier color.

Use these colors to hang art where the shelf is now. Use the pieces on your mantle elsewhere in the house. All too small for that wall. Think large starbursty type thing over mantle - wide and graphic.

Build cabinetry in inset wall to house tv, books, collectibles.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:22PM
cobra0001
Can you move to wall that has shelf on it
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 2:14PM
cobra0001
And maybe move rug to where just legs of sofa are on it
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 2:15PM
jenamreynoso
The sectional can't be seperate dans if I flipped it the only other way it can go in the room we can't use the fireplace. I can't move it over to center under the window because it would run into the hallway.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 4:19PM
Gantt's Decorating
I hate sectionals! This is the main reason why for 25 yrs in the business I have never sold one!!!
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 4:51PM
Eagledzines
Maybe you could sell it.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 4:56PM
jenamreynoso
Maybe I should just sell it :) I like the large starbursty graphic idea over the mantle. Good ideas on where to purchase large ones?
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 5:49PM
yoboseiyo
jen, you can make a big starburst, if you're up for it.

use thin dowels and a round of rigid foam (from the floral section at joanns). use 2 or 3 different lengths of dowelling, and spray paint them in whatever color you like.

while at joanns, go to the section with the tshirts and dollhouse/woodworking stuffs, and get a round mirror large enough to cover the rigid foam by at least 1".

simply push the dowels into the foam with a little tacky glue (or hot glue, but it can melt the foam) on the end. when dry, glue the mirror onto the foam (centered), and then hang it on a nail over the fireplace.

it takes a little time, but it's not hard.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 6:11PM
yoboseiyo
also, i think the reason that the shelf competes with the fireplace is that the shelf is mounted too high. the things on top of it end up taller than the art on the fireplace, so they upstage it. maybe lower that shelf a good 12-16"?
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 6:12PM
I commented at your duplicate thread.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 7:03PM
dfid
Consider placing the sectional and the rug at the same angle as the fireplace. This may create a more dynamic composition and make the space look larger and sofa smaller.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 7:47PM
jenamreynoso
Good idea but we gave that walkway into the kitchen to consider, it wouldn't allow room to Walt through
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 9:40PM
Maguire
You can still use the fireplace if you put the sectional on the correct wall. Just do it, snap a picture, let us see.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 9:47PM
Still don't understand why the sofa isn't against the wall to the right of the FP to totally open up the space. I don't think having a fire is an issue. It's free to try. Cut the bottoms off of plastic juice or milk jugs to make your own furniture sliders and post the results!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 9:07AM
If you're fearful of fire, just use this arrangement in summer and switch in winter. You may be happier over all with a sofa and two chairs though.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 10:06AM
colonialgp
Try ebay, Home Decorators (not sure of the name but Target owns it), estate sales, antique/junk shops, etc. for starbursty thingy.

And I hate to say it, but you will probably have much more functionality with a smaller sofa and a couple of comfortable chairs instead of the sectional.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 10:14AM
dfid
In a small room it is beneficial to create a single focal point, and arrange furniture accordingly. Typically, the TV competes with the fireplace as the rooms focal point.
In an effort to streamline furniture placement to access both the fireplace and the TV, I install the TV above the mantle to create a single focal point. If this is an option for you, it will allow you to access additional floor space to the left of your fireplace.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 6:55PM
Do you think this coffee table is too big for this room?
Also, does the lighter wood color look ok with the...
cmfiereck
Big Floral Couch Problem!!
Hi, We recently moved into a new home, and also inherited...
jravner
Help for big empty wall and pulling living room together
I am a first time home owner and super excited to decorate...
jennybear3
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
Is coffee table too large? What color area rug?
This is a 14x18 living room I am working on. Does the...
koreanamericanmommy
I need to find a mirror to put over the console table
My console is 48 inches wide, I have 9 foot ceilings...
ntrama
Pleaseeeee!!! Bedroom Help!
My husband and I just bought our first home together...
Heather Ford
New
My husband and I are trying to decide on the following...
judy06
HELP! Cherry hardwood floors are the death of me!
Help! The house that we are looking to buy has beautiful...
helphomenewbie
Hood size versus Range size
Is it problematic to have a 36" range with a 30" freestanding...
ltanya56