Facade Swiss Chalet in the Black Forest
fbandt
Hello everyone! Is anyone having good suggestions for the looming renovation of the facade of this 19th century Swiss Chalet in the Black Forest in Germany?
Plans are currently to take off all the red from the house and replace the facade with wood which will give it a grey colour in the years to come. Also current windows will be replaced with much bigger ones.

Anyway any suggestions for interior or garden or style are very much appreciated.
colonialgp
Wait. You're IN the Black Forest and you want to remove the chalet look?
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 2:28PM
fbandt
Well, we don't want to take away the Swiss Chalet look but to update the look. In fact the house is called 'Swiis House', so we have to keep the elements but we want to give it a fresh touch.
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 2:35PM
Judy M
ASV interiors is a regular commenter, she is based in Switzerland and might have some suggestions, if she is around to see this post.
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 2:36PM
Thanks - on it and currently in Verbier an alpine resort with tons of renovations going on on Alpine chalets. I am going out to take a few photos and will post them later. Currently the trend is very much for 'old' wood that is rough hewn and will age to silver. You seem to have a top heavy design (meaning the bottom part of the chalet is much larger than the top) you may wish to mix stone and wood perhaps to break up the mass at the base.

If you can provide more information on the chalet (what floors are used for what purposes); is this the main arrival point; perhaps I can give you some ideas.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 4:52AM
apple_pie_order
Wow, wonderful place in the forest. I suggest trimming back or removing the evergreen shrubs along the dirt road near what looks like the entrance. Do you have a photo of the front door and/or the entrance that you use the most?

I would consult an arborist about proper care for the trees. It's an amazing place.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 6:51AM
Eagledzines
I love it just the way it is.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 7:00AM
I have just done a quick drive around the resort and taken a selection of pictures for you. What I want to show you is that the original wood (usually pine) is reddish to start and then over a few years fades to a silvery grey. You will also see stone bases to "anchor" the chalets.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 8:26AM
There is also another interesting base design I took that might be of interest: They have used wood at angles to create a very intriguing exterior that makes beautiful shadows when uplit or downlit

1 Like   October 9, 2013 at 8:57AM
fbandt
Thanks for the paticipation, especially from you, Asv! I like the look of the wood-shielding of the Moncler-house outside!

The house is really in the middle of the woods which means a lot of spiders and spiderweb fly around and cover the outsides of the house on certain areas pretty quickly. This means we want the outside, at best, easy to clean but can live with the spiderwebs as it is a natural thing to happen in the woods.

The carpenter offered to redo all the outside in color but we want it natural (we think about Douglas fir, cedarwood and silver fir) as we like the grey look of aging wood.

I enclosed one front-view and a picture of the front door.
1 Like   October 9, 2013 at 11:31AM
fbandt
and, yes, we are cutting the green jungle outside, it was worse before :-)

View in the valley in front of the house as an add-on.
1 Like   October 9, 2013 at 11:38AM
I think your view is absolutely fantastic. I also love the idea of the chalet being nestled in the woods. having seen your spider webs, I don't think they will do any damage to anything you do and if you have your wood cladding go silver grey, the webs will be less noticeable. After all, you can fight nature, but in the end, you will be exhausted and nervous about it - so work with it.

How do you plan on changing out the windows (will you lose your lovely arched shutters?) Also what treatment will you do on the balconies and on the lower level floor?
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 1:21PM
fbandt
Thernew windows in the third floor(pic shows future living room) will be much, much bigger to let more light in and to make nature more seeable from inside.

The balconies will stay. We are still looking for a good solution to let more light in. As well we want to have 'something' that doesn't block the vie from inside like now. Some of your pictures showed horizontal wood bridges, which is something we will consider.
1 Like   October 12, 2013 at 8:01AM
fbandt
View of the house's backside
0 Likes   October 9, 2014 at 1:04PM
Swiss chalet mish mash
My brain is now fried - we're trying to modernise the...
Swiss chalet mish mash part 2
So here is our bedroom up in the loft of the house....
Swiss Chalet Remodel
After an exhaustive search, I walked into this 1970's...
1970s Swiss Chalet
We would like to update the rooms but retain the Swiss...
Mannington Black Forest Oak Antique
Hello, I am considering purchasing the Mannington Blak...
Living room with corner fireplace and tv.
Long living room and dinning room
REALLY need help with curb appeal... Any ideas will be appreciated!
We love our house. The location is perfect and the...
New sectional sofa...now what?
I am looking for advice for my family living space....
Living room layout
Would appreciate any thoughts regarding this living...
Ceilings, should they match trim if trim is white?
Should ceilings be whitemif trim is white?