Facade Swiss Chalet in the Black Forest

fbandtOctober 8, 2013
Hello everyone! Is anyone having good suggestions for the looming renovation of the facade of this 19th century Swiss Chalet in the Black Forest in Germany?
Plans are currently to take off all the red from the house and replace the facade with wood which will give it a grey colour in the years to come. Also current windows will be replaced with much bigger ones.

Anyway any suggestions for interior or garden or style are very much appreciated.
colonialgp
Wait. You're IN the Black Forest and you want to remove the chalet look?
    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 2:28PM
fbandt
Well, we don't want to take away the Swiss Chalet look but to update the look. In fact the house is called 'Swiis House', so we have to keep the elements but we want to give it a fresh touch.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 2:35PM
Judy M
ASV interiors is a regular commenter, she is based in Switzerland and might have some suggestions, if she is around to see this post.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 2:36PM
Thanks - on it and currently in Verbier an alpine resort with tons of renovations going on on Alpine chalets. I am going out to take a few photos and will post them later. Currently the trend is very much for 'old' wood that is rough hewn and will age to silver. You seem to have a top heavy design (meaning the bottom part of the chalet is much larger than the top) you may wish to mix stone and wood perhaps to break up the mass at the base. If you can provide more information on the chalet (what floors are used for what purposes); is this the main arrival point; perhaps I can give you some ideas.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 4:52AM
apple_pie_order
Wow, wonderful place in the forest. I suggest trimming back or removing the evergreen shrubs along the dirt road near what looks like the entrance. Do you have a photo of the front door and/or the entrance that you use the most?

I would consult an arborist about proper care for the trees. It's an amazing place.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 6:51AM
Eagledzines
I love it just the way it is.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 7:00AM
I have just done a quick drive around the resort and taken a selection of pictures for you. What I want to show you is that the original wood (usually pine) is reddish to start and then over a few years fades to a silvery grey. You will also see stone bases to "anchor" the chalets.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 8:26AM
There is also another interesting base design I took that might be of interest: They have used wood at angles to create a very intriguing exterior that makes beautiful shadows when uplit or downlithttp://www.houzz.com/photos/6135732/Swiss-chalet-exteriors-traditional--other-metro
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 8:57AM
fbandt
Thanks for the paticipation, especially from you, Asv! I like the look of the wood-shielding of the Moncler-house outside!

The house is really in the middle of the woods which means a lot of spiders and spiderweb fly around and cover the outsides of the house on certain areas pretty quickly. This means we want the outside, at best, easy to clean but can live with the spiderwebs as it is a natural thing to happen in the woods.

The carpenter offered to redo all the outside in color but we want it natural (we think about Douglas fir, cedarwood and silver fir) as we like the grey look of aging wood.

I enclosed one front-view and a picture of the front door.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 11:31AM
fbandt
and, yes, we are cutting the green jungle outside, it was worse before :-)

View in the valley in front of the house as an add-on.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 11:38AM
I think your view is absolutely fantastic. I also love the idea of the chalet being nestled in the woods. having seen your spider webs, I don't think they will do any damage to anything you do and if you have your wood cladding go silver grey, the webs will be less noticeable. After all, you can fight nature, but in the end, you will be exhausted and nervous about it - so work with it. How do you plan on changing out the windows (will you lose your lovely arched shutters?) Also what treatment will you do on the balconies and on the lower level floor?
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 1:21PM
fbandt
Thernew windows in the third floor(pic shows future living room) will be much, much bigger to let more light in and to make nature more seeable from inside.

The balconies will stay. We are still looking for a good solution to let more light in. As well we want to have 'something' that doesn't block the vie from inside like now. Some of your pictures showed horizontal wood bridges, which is something we will consider.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 8:01AM
fbandt
View of the house's backside
    Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 1:04PM
Front door of my home, needs new color.
I can not come up with a different color other than...
Marisa Edens
Help with Awful Oak Flooring Wall!!!!
I am in the midst of changing out this awful oak flooring,...
lisagraveline
Ugliest house in the world. Officially!
So my husband just bought the ugliest house I have...
evbrewer
How can I possibly update this house?
We bought this house in September and have been remodeling...
Lori B
Spruce up outside
Just looking for some opinions/options on what to do...
Diane Rummel
First Home, style ideas
We just bought our first home (well, closing this week)...
kimbermenssen
Need help with furniture placement!!!
Hi all. I am at a loss on what to do with my living...
sphm620
Accent Color?
What would be a good accent paint color for basement...
lwelp
Bird Wall Stickers for your little prince
Bird Wall Stickers is hassle free in terms of application...
yami