So much to get rid of, don't know where to start
bernyberns79
We just bought this house and although we know it has great potential, I'm stuck. The fireplace is staying and I don't want to paint it white. Any wall color ideas? I feel like I've hit this wall, and can't get my creative juices flowin!
bernyberns79
P.s. no I don't want to get rid of my baby or toddler. But as my family room is stuck in the 80's, all I have time for is diaper changing and try training my 2 yr old.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:01PM
Erica Garza
What about a gray FP like this one (this is in the home we are hoping to buy this month...and I was surprised to find I love it w this dark gray tone!)
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 6:02PM
bernyberns79
I really like that color. I'm really, really over everyone painting everything white!! Thanks!
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:09PM
bms0422
The gray for the fireplace is a nice idea. Why not use a contrasting shade of gray for the walls, just don't go too dark. The grays will be a nice complement to your dark blue upholstered furniture and leaves room for using other dark blue accents in the room.

Looks like the window treatments are wrong for your room. With the heavy fireplace the sheers seem out of place as does the blue valance. Realize those may have been left from the prior owner. Praying the wallpaper is coming down. Way dated!

Really nice floors and it looks like you have a really interesting ceiling. Hard to see from the photos, but if those are beams across the ceiling, you might consider painting those to match the fireplace or walls if you use grays. Would lighten the overall look of the room and give it a more modern feel if you like that. Again, hard to see the full impact of the beams from the pictures. You can really pull it all together by incorporating your key colors in a rug or in your window treatments. Would hang window treatments as close to the ceiling as possible, making sure they come within 1 to 2 inches of the floor. Not sure what your style is, so hard to make further recommendations. The tv cabinet leans toward modern or contemporary. The upholstered pieces look like they could blend into many styles. Great room to work with!
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 5:22PM
Erica Garza
The color in this photo is off. Its a really nice grey and the walls are a nice shade too..I'll have to re-take (I pulled this off the MLS listing for the home). I am not into everything grey or everything white either! I DO want wainscotting, but I agree....I'm over the trend!
0 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 6:24AM
Antico Elements
Your best bet, according your desires stipulated earlier, is to use a product that adds texture and color to your room. I have been in the design and construction for years and have seen many dos and don'ts. If you want to create a masterpiece of luxury at a working individual's price then your best bet is to use faux stone or brick panels other wise known as fake brick panels. They look and feel real you have to really knock on them hard to be able to tell the difference and you can follow through with the pattern of brick by your fireplace without taking a month of construction. You could have the project finished in half a day on the weekend. check out this link for ideas and pictures I hope you will like it because I think this product was made just for this exact situation. Good luck and beautiful baby, witty joke too. Check out http://www.anticoelements.com/blog/ . Thank you for your time.
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 6:34AM
CDR Design
The room is gorgeous and has much potential. The fireplace is beautiful as it is. Please don't paint it!!!

I would paint the wall a lighter color in the brick.

BM Shaker Beige hc-45. It is a lighter tone of your brick. I have used this numerous times and it always looks fabulous. Here it is in a couple of rooms.

[houzz=Janssen-Living Room]

houzz=Private home]
2 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 6:40AM
Amy Cali
Agreed cdrdesign really no need to paint your fireplace. Your brick will be banished from the 80's once the rest of the room is brought up to date. It feels very retro in a cool mid century modern type of way. Now I realize this too is a trend that has gone haywire but if done with subtle touches and incorporated with more contemporary pieces it will be a show stopper, perfect for a young family. It will look great with your low profile blue sectional and beautiful kids :) imo.
0 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 6:48AM
CDR Design
Right Amy, except that this house seems true mid-century. Embrace its elements. I love the rectangular fp, windows, beams.

This room has so much potential!! Doesn't need a ton of $ or work.

Can you post more pictures and we can help more?
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 6:52AM
CDR Design
Please remove the drapes. Do you need any drapes for privacy? Otherwise, I would use nothing.
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 7:04AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Drapes OUT, get the wallpaper off and paint the walls... de-clutter it all, then go from there.
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 7:07AM
Amy Cali
After stripping that dreaded border and curtains throughout, I'd slap up a coat of fresh light beige as cdr suggested. I'd also remove the floating shelves. Add a pair of florence knoll inspired lounge chairs (def knockoffs so the kiddies can enjoy them too) along with a swing floor lamp and you are well on your way to a fabulous and useful family room.
0 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 7:09AM
Amy Cali
I want this house! Agreed cdr I'd go for it too but didn't want to push too much :)
0 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 7:11AM
Amy Cali
pretty inspiration for keeping the FP brick
3 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 7:12AM
Amy Cali
love your wood floors laid on an angle too
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 7:13AM
CDR Design
Fireplace shelves are not bad. Could be part of original design. Depends on what you put on them.

If you take them down, it depends on how it would look if you took them down. (may not be able to repair easily).
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 7:28AM
jen046
Agree with the above. Start by painting the room beige. Get rid of the curtains for now (they aren't doing anything anyway). Basically, start with deconstruction, then the room will tell you what it needs. Keep the fireplace brick if you can!
2 Likes   Thanked by bernyberns79    October 10, 2013 at 7:30AM
bernyberns79
You guys are amazing. I have been leaning towards "beige", but I haven't looooved a color, and that BM shaker is PERFECT!!
Now, I know I'm pushing my luck, but what's the consensus on the doors and windows. The curtains are def coming down, bmy husband put em up while I was in the hospital having our little lady. He thought he was helping ;-).
I don't know what to do with the doors. I feel like "barn doors" would look amazing or go for Home depot generic white doors? Any thoughts? They HAVE to go too.
BTW, getting the BM next week and starting to paint ASAP!
0 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 6:43PM
Rustica Hardware
Hi bernyberns, If your interested in barn doors and hardware take a look on our site there are some great ideas that may help you. http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
0 Likes   Thanked by bernyberns79    October 17, 2013 at 11:53AM
Amy Cali
bernyberns79 can you post a pic of the area for the door(s)?
0 Likes   Thanked by bernyberns79    October 17, 2013 at 12:23PM
CDR Design
I see only one door and I really cannot comment on windows till you get your furniture set.

Glad you like the Shaker Beige. The paint will make a huge difference!
1 Like   Thanked by bernyberns79    October 17, 2013 at 12:41PM
bernyberns79
It's over a month and I painted, got curtains and a media stand and a rug. Will post pics when my rugrats take a nap. They will nap eventually :-). Thanks!!
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 9:36AM
CDR Design
Looking forward to it!
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 9:56AM
Paint and remove dated wall border. Paint trim. White and walls a Revere pewter by Benjamin Moore. Painting will change this whole room. I would white wash brick on firepl. I know you said no paint, but it would update this room. Google for direction, but it's easy and will make a difference. Add a bamboo shade to window in black, or white. Add panels on each end. 2 shades darker than walls. On an lack rod. Measure for length. They won't be closed. I don't blame you for not wanting to get rid of baby. Did someone suggest that. Will most likely do work on room while they sleep at night.
0 Likes   Thanked by bernyberns79    December 5, 2013 at 12:46PM
Remove all sheers from windows add panels to ends only. A big area rug 8x10. IN a gray background with some color in design. Ikea good source for all of the above. Incl art for over sofa. Hang 6-7" above top of sofa or furn. Not a bad room. Looks mid century. Google that look. You need end tables and lamps for light. Ikea again.
0 Likes   Thanked by bernyberns79    December 5, 2013 at 12:49PM
The beige would work with firepl. But would like to see more color in this room. You need room for a barn door. Not sure where you want it.? Husbands try, but they are about function not style. Thank him for help. But remove. No rug in corner either.
0 Likes   Thanked by bernyberns79    December 5, 2013 at 12:54PM
sorry didn't see date of Oct. Above. See you have painted. Good, you are on your way. Keep posting.
0 Likes   Thanked by bernyberns79    December 5, 2013 at 12:56PM
So Confused Don't know where to start
We need help with a design for our house that would...
callison62
The kitchen is so big I don't even know where to start!
We are purchasing this house. One of the things I love...
e2dennis
I don't know where to start for what styles I like and what I don't like. Help!
I've tried to look it up and stuff but there is so...
ktinaz
There is so much to be done here that I don't know where to begin.
There is so much to be done here that I don't know...
jadedk
I need so much I don't know where to begin
I don't have an endless budget so I need to do things...
tintown
Help me choose the right fireplace!
Planning to put an electric fireplace on the living...
drymades
Worst kitchen/floor in the world
Hello I got my floor done about 8 years ago and it...
Shanti Ramrup
Top views. Our favorite :)
We use true-to-life images to present our ideas to...
VANGUARD development
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
bedroom headboard
no footboard; king sized
Julie Pittinger