Dirt in grooves of pre-finished hardwood floors?
beelliott08
We recently installed red oak pr-finished flooring in our home. Even though I vacuum frequently, the grooves seem to be getting dark. Any thoughts as far as cleaning?
Courteney Blare
Have you tried a light steam mop?
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 4:50AM
beelliott08
Yes, but doesn't seem to get into the grooves in the flooring. I was thinking about trying a soft bristle brush.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 6:15AM
soberg
This really shouldn't be happening unless you are having maple syrup parties daily. I would talk to the installer and manufacturer. Also, please clarify whether the grooves in question are just the joins between planks, or the actual open pores/grain of the wood species.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 6:40AM
I think the problem is that pre-finished floors have beveled grooves in them whereas site-finished floors are sanded down in such a way that the boards fit tightly against each other with no beveling. The beveled grooves trap dirt, and this is not what you expected. I don't have personal experience with pre-finished hardwood flooring, but you'll probably need to inquire of the manufacturer or installer whether there is a specific way these floors are supposed to be cleaned to address this feature. Here is a website that compares the pros and cons of prefinished vs. site finished floors and explains the function of the beveling. http://napervillehardwood.com/blog/prefinished-sitefinished-hardwood-floors/
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 6:49AM
beelliott08
Yes, the bevels are between the boards, so it's not exactly a flat surface.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 7:14AM
beelliott08
Just read the article, wish I had researched before we had the floor laid, I probably would have opted for site finished.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 7:18AM
Eventually (after many years) even site-finished floors get some shrinkage between the boards where dirt can get lodged. Our hardwood floors are 90 years old and some boards definitely have small gaps between them. OTOH, even these aren't as wide as the bevels in pre-finished floors. But pre-finished floors are not nearly as messy and time consuming to install.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 7:23AM
apple_pie_order
You might ask your installer if using a Hoover Floormate is safe for your floor. The vacuum action may be able to keep those grooves cleaner.
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 7:45AM
Sofa advice
Hi Houzzers! We are moving this sectional into our...
njschaefer78
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Backsplash for Bianca Perla counter
What kind of backsplash will go with Bianca Perla quartzite...
cweisens
Need a good upholsterer
Two large sofa chair/loveseats
cachagua
Foundation & Underpinning
Has anyone redone, seal coated and / or expanded their...
bbseawane