How/where to move outlets for a backsplash?
sunnydrew
Now that I have my counters in and have chosen a beautiful glass tile for the back-splashes, I am troubled by the thought of having to look at these ridiculous and ugly plugs and light switches on top of my new tiles. What have you done to move these plugs during your own kitchen projects? I am sure there are products out there to put them under the cabinets or something. Any help? I need to get this done first. And yes, I am painting another color than the existing blue.
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi,
A quick note about our experience: We consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....Our 2 Chicagoland offices cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders and we've recently opened a new satellite location in S.W. Michigan.....
Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but your local building codes will (usually) prohibit you from changing the heights if they're on the wall as they are..... Do you need both duplex outlets?..... You could combine one of them with the 2 switches on the left wall and get rid of the other one..... Not sure what the center one is but it seems like a simple low voltage or TV outlet which can be relocated without code problems.....Hope this helps a bit.....John & Brigitte
October 9, 2013 at 7:35am      Thanked by sunnydrew
apple_pie_order
You can get outlets and covers that nearly match your tile color.
October 9, 2013 at 7:39am      Thanked by sunnydrew
sunnydrew
Thanks- I was going to speak to town inspection office about the code. The center one is the old CAT-5 which I am sure is obsolete now.
October 9, 2013 at 7:39am   
sunnydrew
I know there are option for "camouflaging" the outlets. thanks, I don't want to spoil the look of the new tile but cutting them up to go around these plates if possible.
October 9, 2013 at 8:13am   
Karen Heffernan
I would put them under the cabinet legrand.us has power strips that go under your cabinets
October 9, 2013 at 8:19am   
Barbra Bright Design
October 9, 2013 at 9:23am     
Glass Tile Store
I'd put them next to the light switches as backsplashes tend to end under the cabinets.
October 9, 2013 at 12:05pm   
Jodi Tramontin, CKD, CBD
Great blog posts Barbra! I used the Angled Power strips in my own kitchen and I absolutely love them. Since I was replacing the cabinets, countertops, appliances etc. it was easy for me to remove some of the drywall and have the electrician run new wiring from the electrical panel to the new location for the Angled Power Strips.

@lkdrew - since you have already installed the cabinets, countertops etc. I would recommend that you look for outlets that will blend with the backsplash you are planning to install as it may not be feasible to relocate your current electrical outlets.
October 9, 2013 at 1:38pm     
sunnydrew
I have an electrician coming this week to let me know how feasible it will be to install the strip under cabinet. If it is not feasible than I will settle for the colored switches. I am almost thinking not to bother with a high backsplash to have 6 outlets on it. Seems a waste of money.
October 9, 2013 at 1:46pm   
Fred S
I have more than 34 years experience and have done enough kitchens to actually know the codes. Barring any self imposed judgement by the local building officials, here is the IRC code. The NEC is the same. http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_39_sec001.htm
E3901.4.5 Receptacle outlet location.
Receptacle outlets shall be located not more than 20 inches (508 mm) above the countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies installed in countertops shall be listed for the application Receptacle outlets shall not be installed in a face-up position in the work surfaces or countertops.
E3901.4.1 Wall countertop space.
A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall countertop space 12 inches (305 mm) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24 inches (610 mm), measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space.

The GFCI can be located in the electrical panel, but it may cause problems with things like the refrigerator. The outlets can be on a strip on the back wall as long as it is not higher than 20". You can NOT put the outlet with the switch on the side wall and eliminate the other one. You DO have to have more than one outlet if the counter top is over 48" long.
October 9, 2013 at 2:32pm   
JandB Kitchen Designs
As we mentioned, the "local building officials" will advise you of what needs to be done under the township/county within their jurisdiction..... National codes are fine as a guideline but may not be applicable in "your neck of the woods"..... Again, you just need to check with your local city regarding it's ordinances.....The electrician will advise you.....Listen to HIM.....He's the one that really knows the "poop" on what you can or can't do in your area.....John & Brigitte
October 9, 2013 at 9:23pm   
Best way to house a growing puppy?
I have a German Shepherd puppy (meet Manny!!) who will...
Placement of art
Would like your opinion. I have some bird panels that...
Do I use these chairs?
I have a completely empty dining room - I had been...
Need Help with what color to choose
I have a bedromm and i want a very eye soothing pastal...
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...