Backsplash ideas ~thanks~
sjurgens
Looking for backsplash suggestions?! I am leaning toward glass tiles going all the way to the ceiling. I would like to keep the color light. I'm not a fan of the vertical tiles. Also may consider something with a design so long as it stays classic. Please send me any ideas u got.
~thanks~
0825sam
My cousins just put a white three dimensional tile with dark cabinets and it looks amazing. I cannot find a photo, but I did find this which is not tile but just for an idea of look.

October 9, 2013 at 8:29am        Thanked by sjurgens
0825sam
If you like that look or want to see more, try searching houzz photos or google for heath ceramics. They have some really nice three dimensional tiles.
October 9, 2013 at 8:35am     
Amy Cali
love your suggestion sam0705. heres another example
October 9, 2013 at 8:50am   
Amy Cali
pic
October 9, 2013 at 8:51am     
sjurgens
Love the ideas so far!
October 9, 2013 at 10:28am   
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi,
A quick note about our experience: We consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....Our 2 Chicagoland offices cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders and we've recently opened a new satellite location in S.W. Michigan.....
Anyway, we have a whole "board" showing different backsplashes we've done..... Take a peek at http://www.pinterest.com/windycityjohn/kitchen-backsplashes/ Hope this helps a bit.....John & Brigitte
October 9, 2013 at 11:01am   
Go the pearl glaze look. Striking . Use a light gray. Google.
October 9, 2013 at 11:05am        Thanked by sjurgens
I would keep it solid color.
October 9, 2013 at 11:06am   
Glass Tile Store
Is that just white paint right now? I'd stick with regular 3x6 white subway glass or marble possibly.
October 9, 2013 at 11:22am     
Annalise Leffler
A subway tile would look nice there. What do you think about adding a little color in to your kitchen by adding a mint green backsplash like the ones below. I think it would look great against your dark floors and cabinets!

Private Residence 1
Private Residence 2
October 9, 2013 at 11:28am   
Kim D
I love glass tile, but I'm not sure how they are going to stand the test of time. Subway tile we already know remains a classic look. Glass tile still remains to be seen how it will be viewed in a decade or so.
October 9, 2013 at 11:28am   
sjurgens
What u see in the picture is just primed drywall.
October 9, 2013 at 11:32am   
sjurgens
I do love glass tile! That has been the plan from the start. My original kitchen plan had stained grey cabinets with the dark floors and white trim. Long story short i had issues getting the grey stain i wanted. I love how it turned out i just need to brighten it up a bit. These stools will probably be swapped for something lighter as they are just borrowed from my basement till i figure it all out. Loving all the great ideas!
October 9, 2013 at 11:47am   
Lauren Brown
I love light gray glass subway tiles! I hope to do them in my next home!
October 9, 2013 at 11:54am     
sjurgens
What do u all think about the 3x12 glass subway tile?
October 9, 2013 at 11:58am   
bananamamma
October 9, 2013 at 12:24pm   
bananamamma
OR this could be mmmmm nice :

October 9, 2013 at 12:26pm   
bananamamma
Smaller but could be very nice:

October 9, 2013 at 12:28pm   
bananamamma
would you get a closer view of the counters please?
October 9, 2013 at 12:43pm   
bananamamma
October 9, 2013 at 1:09pm   
October 9, 2013 at 1:28pm   
bananamamma
Could this be the4 same on just closer view:

October 9, 2013 at 2:02pm      Thanked by sjurgens
sjurgens
Granite is titanium.
October 9, 2013 at 2:51pm     
sjurgens
The porcelain pebbles are fun.
October 9, 2013 at 2:53pm   
sjurgens
Annalise, i do love the green just not sure i will want it forever. Leaning toward the pearl or the light grey. Anyone had experience with the pebble backsplash?
October 9, 2013 at 2:58pm   
No pebble it's more of a cottage look. You need clean sleek look. With some glitz. Pearl is best.
October 10, 2013 at 8:28am   
By the way love your kitchen. Bar stools work.
October 10, 2013 at 8:28am   
sjurgens
Thanks Travis interior!
October 10, 2013 at 8:43am   
sjurgens
Last couple questions. Are u thinking the glass tile in pearl or grey or something with both? Also, i do LOVE my Emeco stools! Originally i had ordered white leather and when they arrived they were made for a giant. These were my get by till i figure it out stools. I can keep them in the kitchen or i could order the Emeco with backs. Would that work? Just for comfort purposes the backs would be nice.
October 10, 2013 at 8:50am   
bananamamma
Hi sjurgens...i like those stools alot too and even wondered about doing a stainless backsplash, but then realized that you may not have those stools forever. I think travisinteriors didn't understand about the white stone 'pebbles' that you referred to, you have to hit the link to see them (couldn't do it any other way) I think they're awesome, they're more like white poreclain 'bubbles' than pebbles, with white grout they would be quite spectacular albeit a bit expensive. Good point about the stools having backs, I think you should go ahead and order them so you can relax and enjoy your island.
Your titanium granite is beautiful and quite alot of movement in it so go with something more monotone for your backsplash....pearl would definitely give you a little *bling factor, there are pearl tiles in the website I sent you. It looks like you have white throw cushions on the couch so that would go nicely. You can then add a pop of colour with accessories...red one week, green, yellow etc... inexpensively with vases and towels etc.. what fun! what a nice palate!
October 10, 2013 at 12:19pm     
You could mix gray and white iredence. Pearl diamond grout. Backs on stools would work.
October 10, 2013 at 12:42pm     
sjurgens
Thank you! Thats what i am going for. I love to change things up. The plan is to do this reno once and be able to completely change the color any time i want. We bought this place two years ago and after tearing out many walls, new trim, doors, floors, windows, almost a kitchen and painting numerous times i think we are almost there...yay!!! I am so thankful for all the great ideas!!
October 10, 2013 at 12:42pm     
sjurgens
Is this pattern good or better just to stick with brick layer look?
October 10, 2013 at 12:48pm     
Amy Cali
so i got nosey and looked at your link bananamamma - those ceramic white pebbles are seriously cool! very nice suggestion.....rah rah shis gum ba
October 10, 2013 at 12:50pm     
sjurgens
And yes i love white accents! I have lots of white and green.
October 10, 2013 at 12:50pm   
bananamamma
sjurgens? That pattern is spectacular! would you do it in the grey and white? also nice to differentiate spaces using that as an offset pattern to a more plain 'brick' look ie: over stove etc.. I think if you're using a pearl tile, one colour is enough, the sheen will be apparent even in one colour.....two colours will get too busy with your counter.... finally found what I was looking for, here you go....
October 10, 2013 at 1:26pm   
bananamamma
You may have to join if you haven't already, but this is a great forum with lots of photos of peoples kitchens and backsplashes.....they are as diverse as the world is diverse! seems the backsplash is a very personal thing ! lol

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg011253185075.html?de3783324301ecc7a7e14b326137d90a&rnd=oseKr
October 10, 2013 at 1:28pm   
bananamamma
I still kinda lean toward the pebbles though....they're not cottage look at all.....oh wait, I suppose it depends on the cottage !
October 10, 2013 at 1:30pm   
mitra9
The "pebble" look is cute but I have to say if you cook as much as we do at my house, I'd be worried about cleaning them. After all, grease gets every where in the kitchen. Just a thought.
October 10, 2013 at 1:39pm   
bananamamma
True mitra9 but any back splash takes a beating, you have to have the right grout and make sure they're sealed properly and it shouldn't be any worse than the 2"x4" tiles....don't you think?
October 10, 2013 at 2:13pm   
sjurgens
Any likes on these?
October 10, 2013 at 2:35pm   
sjurgens
I agree pebbles are cool but probably not minimum maintenance. I may try them out in a bathroom. I have several of them that need some serious upgrading.
October 10, 2013 at 2:39pm   
sjurgens
Or...
October 10, 2013 at 2:50pm   
bananamamma
Darn....lost my post while finding the following photo...it went something like this " love x 3 the plain glass tiles" also the white ones as it just makes it all relaxed and tidy and fresh looking! but that's me and I ended up choosing bead board because I liked the tidy lines and my granite is very active and in creams and blacks....I didn't want anything dark and didn't want to commit to tiles....now am struggling with a splash area over the sink but suspect I'm going to buy some craft waterproofing paint to fix the area....see? it's ongoing! the following is a fun idea for laundry or powder room ?? it's the pebbles but in blues :-)

October 10, 2013 at 3:14pm   
Someone posted on another post. A herringbone concave travertine. In a pearl cream very nice. Do something different. I like to think out side the box . See other post for ideas on backsplash.
October 10, 2013 at 6:54pm   
Ck, edenmosaictile.com some amazing stainless. Look like mirrors. Would be perfect.
October 10, 2013 at 6:59pm   
It's on banana mama post from yesterday.
October 10, 2013 at 7:00pm   
mitra9
@bananamama - at least the 2x4 is flat. I have experienced both and like the flat back splash probably because I'm short and is easier for me to clean without too much scrubbing ;-)

I still like the "pebble" look though but maybe as an accent rather than all over.
October 14, 2013 at 11:50am   
leahladd
Hi I'm curious what is ur cabinet and flooring?
October 16, 2013 at 8:48am   
sjurgens
The cabinets are Birch with a custom stain. Floors are pecan wood by Mannington. The color I believe is tobacco.
October 16, 2013 at 9:38am   
leahladd
Currently deciding whether to go with dark cabinets and dark floors. Seeing this made me make up my mind. This wood be my inspirations, thanks. I picked birch cabinets with midnight stain and I'm thinking about white oak with medium brown stain.
October 16, 2013 at 10:14am   
sjurgens
Sounds beautiful! I'm no pro at taking pictures. My kitchen looks even better in person. My floors have a lot of color variation which is hard to see in the photos. They are not at all the same color as my cabinets. I think that what u have to shot for. Compliment but not the same. I was so scared of getting too dark. However, when it came down to crunch time i went with what i wanted vs what everyone thought was a good idea. No regrets!
October 16, 2013 at 12:22pm   
sjurgens
I found a picture that shows off the floor a little better. It was taken before everything was complete. Imagine it with big white trim. I love it!
October 16, 2013 at 12:35pm     
Beautiful.
October 16, 2013 at 12:43pm     
dclostboy
How about a glass herringbone?
October 16, 2013 at 12:44pm     
sjurgens
This photo came off of Houzz. It is pretty darn close to my cabinet color.
October 16, 2013 at 12:44pm   
sjurgens
The herringbone is beautiful,
October 16, 2013 at 2:15pm   
Subway Tile Outlet
Here is a look at our backsplash section if you like Subway tile and want to get a feel for what our subway tile will look like installed. I think if you want classic a simple white, khaki, or smoke grey would be your best bet. Let us know if we can help you get a few samples for comparison.
October 16, 2013 at 9:12pm   
satirical7
HI sjurgens can you tell me how the floor is holding up? Considering this but with children I worry about softer woods and dents etc.. Is this a softer wood?
March 7, 2014 at 11:24am   
sjurgens
Floor is holding up great! I do have a few dents from a broken bowl. I filled them and they blend right in. It has imperfections already in the wood which I love. The only thing I will say is that it is crazy hard to keep clean. (3 kids) Other than that everyone that walks through the door comments on the great floor (:
March 7, 2014 at 6:02pm   
Backsplash? Need ideas - thank you!
Walnut slab doors + Blizzard - need some greenish backsplash...
Backsplash ideas ~thanks~
Looking for backsplash suggestions?! I am leaning...
I need Ideas to improve the look of my home. flower bed ideas. Thanks
I would appreciate ideas to improve the looks of our...
Decorating Open Living Room
I love my new house, but have no idea how to decorate...
Which light fixture do you like?
Trying to decide which type of light fixture to go...
Wall, living
Can you give me ideas please
Need input on backsplash idea
We recently had a slab leak which damaged our lower...