Need ideas for bathroom mirror frame.
Jake Rog
We have a standard contractor mirror in our bathrooms and I was trying to come up with a way to spruce it up on a budget. One way, shown on the picture, maybe a way to do so, but I can not come up with the right color for the frame. We found a frame that we like and think that the color may work for ours, but not sure how to create the effect as that on the frame.

We are open to any ideas, for a new frame, or of course, which colors would work the best.

p.s. Our frame idea would only cost about $20 in materials. Whatever we pick, I was thinking of replicating from our master to the other bathrooms. The cabinet colors are the same. I also attached another picture, that shows other color elements like tile, wall color, shower stall,..

Thank you so much in advance.
Jake
Jake Rog
I also wanted to add this frame idea, that I found on youtube. Its a bit more complicated to create, but hey... I wanted to throw this into the mix to see if someone may think that it blows the other one away and we should go with this one.
October 9, 2013 at 8:33am   
A thought…stain the frame to match the vanity, then find a fabulous empty frame (local frame shop, consignment shop or make your own) and hang the frame over the glass for a layered look.

October 9, 2013 at 8:43am     
kimdee24
I did that exact same frame (from your main photo) in one of the bathrooms in my old house. I spray painted it with metallic goldish/bronze color, and it looked really great. One tip: Paint the back of the frame black before you install it because the back of the frame will reflect in the mirror. If you paint it black, it disappears.
October 9, 2013 at 8:50am     
Jake Rog
kimdee24: Thank you so much, would it be too much to ask to see how it looks? My wife and I would LOVE to see the end result. Also, might you remember the exact color name? (was it spray or regular?)
October 9, 2013 at 10:13am   
Jake Rog
iplay10s: Amazing Idea - Love it!!! I will have to find the right paint, as the wood is already primed and can not be stained. Any ideas of a cool looking paint?
October 9, 2013 at 10:14am   
Jake Rog
What would be a good color for the frame to match the rest of the things in the bathroom?
October 9, 2013 at 1:25pm   
kimdee24
Jake, unfortunately I don't have a photo of it, and I don't live there any more. It was just a Krylon spray paint I chose but I don't recall the name of it. I think it might have been Caramel Latte or Champagne Nouveu, or similar.
http://www.krylon.com/products/colormaster-brushed-metallic/

But I see there is an oil rubbed bronze color that would look nice in your bath.
October 9, 2013 at 6:39pm   
sunnydrew
wow, your bathroom lay out is almost identical to mine. I took down the big builder mirror and added 2 framed mirrors. I think your ideas of building a frame around existing one is actually better. My sinks are so close to each side wall ( not well placed) that it made it hard to hang the mirror directly above. If you do this frame kit, I would paint it a dark bronze type color to set it off like a large picture.; like the mirror you posted above. The other person is right to paint the back of everything in flat black- good tip. The other thing is the idea of the really deep frame in the other picture you are considering. You have to be aware of your vanity light above. That kind of lighting ( above as opposed to facing you) is very harsh and unflattering as is. Do not impede the light in any way or it will cause more shadows/limit the light you get.
October 10, 2013 at 5:12am   
sunnydrew
Jake, I can't believe I could find these photos, but here is my before and after of the master bathroom as described above.
October 10, 2013 at 5:18am     
athomeeileen
We added trim to our very large builder mirror. It was a so easy and looks great. I had cream cabinets so I spray painted the trim to match then used an antiquing glaze on the trim and cabinets. Looks like a custom mirror now.
October 10, 2013 at 5:25am     
Jake Rog
athomeeilen: Beautiful!!! Can you please post a few pics that show the entire mirror with cabinets?
October 10, 2013 at 5:28am   
athomeeileen
Thank you, it made such a big difference and we spent a total of $60 including the paint and glaze. Hubby just glued the trim right on top of the mirror. Hope these help and good luck with it!
October 10, 2013 at 5:44am     
Jake Rog
Where did you find the "rope" trim and the glaze and what paint did you use?
October 10, 2013 at 5:50am   
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hello Jake... Another tip. When creating DIY mirror frames, be careful not to use acidic caulks and mastics - they eventually will ruin the silvering on your mirror's back, showing up as black blotches. ...can bring a sad end to an otherwise very pleasing result! Products specially formulated for use with mirrors are best. Good Luck! Mark
October 10, 2013 at 5:51am   
athomeeileen
Glaze is Valspar, I think the color is called mocha, comes in a quart jug and i got it at Lowes. Wood trim was just stock from Home Depot or Lowes, I can't remember which one, and so was the spray paint. Sorry for the faulty memory!
October 10, 2013 at 5:56am   
Jake Rog
lkdrew: Very beautiful remodel.
October 10, 2013 at 4:15pm   
kimdee24
Good tip from Someone's. I used clear silicone caulk to attach my frames.
October 10, 2013 at 4:21pm   
A Crew of Two
I like the idea of framing the mirror, but your choice of trim is off a bit i think. What about something that matches your door and window trim?
October 10, 2013 at 6:58pm   
Jake Rog
A Crew of Two: Please talk to me, its not too late and I am open to all the suggestions! Do you have an example of an image that you like? Thank you so much for voicing your vision!!!
October 10, 2013 at 7:00pm   
A Crew of Two
It is hard to see exactly what your trim looks like...do you have a close up pic of them? I thought they are more like what is around this door?
October 10, 2013 at 7:08pm   
Jake Rog
Funny you mentioned this, as I already did just that... ignore the colors, as I think they did not work. Everyone, what do you think about the frame? Yes/No? If yes, would you use those squares in the corners?
October 10, 2013 at 7:10pm     
A Crew of Two
You would have to miter the corners. It would be a 1" x 4" piece with a a piece of molding on the outer edge....maybe more work than you intended.
October 10, 2013 at 7:13pm   
A Crew of Two
Much better!! No squares
October 10, 2013 at 7:14pm     
Jake Rog
Cool, anyone else with this frame? )))
October 10, 2013 at 7:23pm     
Jolene
I am not crazy about the square corners. I framed two large mirrors, but without to he squares. White games with white vanities. I like the picture you have of the one that matches the vanity.
October 10, 2013 at 7:25pm   
Jake Rog
Jolene: You mean the last picture with frame to match the window/door frame?
October 10, 2013 at 7:27pm     
fredm51
I like the YouTube frame. Yes the other one is easier to build but not by much. Either one should be a half day project. If you have a miter box and a router go for the YouTube remember to rabbit the frame to accept the mirror and paint the rabbit black to hide the bare wood.
October 11, 2013 at 5:15am   
sunnydrew
I like the style of the dark wood frame better. Wow , you have a lot of paint swatches. Did you pick a color yet? Soft blues and greens are beautiful in the bathroom.
October 11, 2013 at 7:50am   
Jake Rog
lkdrew: Which frame do you like?
October 11, 2013 at 8:05am   
Jake Rog
Does anyone like the YouTube frame? If so, why?
October 11, 2013 at 8:06am   
Jake Rog
Guys, I am getting confused on which frame to go with. Creating the frame is not a problem, just need to know which one to go with and why? Also, need to pick a color which would work for the frame.
October 11, 2013 at 8:07am   
Jake Rog
lkdrew: Soft blue and green for the frame color? How would this work with the cabinets and with the rest of the room? Which color would you pick that I paint the frame with, that would work the best.
October 11, 2013 at 8:08am   
Jake Rog
A Crew of Two: Do you like the YouTube frame? If yes, much better than the last one I showed you?
October 11, 2013 at 8:11am   
Jake Rog
lkdrew: Beautiful bathroom remodel.
October 11, 2013 at 6:39pm   
phyllis_fraser
Check out Danielle Fraser on Pinterest. She did a bathrm reno with no prior experience and did just what you are interested in. Check it out. Cheap and lovely.
October 11, 2013 at 7:00pm   
Jake Rog
Oh my.... hundrers of Danielle Frasers... Do you have a link? ))
October 11, 2013 at 7:04pm   
Need advice on what type of glue/adhesive for bathroom mirror frame
I have a large plain glass sheet as a mirror in a second...
Need a framed bathroom vanity mirror
Any recommendations on where to find a white framed...
Do bathroom mirror frame and vanity need to match?
We are starting on a low budget reno of our small hallway...
Need help with my bathroom mirror frames
My sweet husband made this paper frame cutout for me...
need help deciding on color of frame on bathroom mirror
I have an all white bathroom at our lake house. The...
i want a walk in closet...
I have two small rooms and a master bedroom on the...
Island layout help...before it goes in for reals...
I've got a large L shaped island with a 40x84 island...
Need to match couch with new blinds
Have new aqua roman blinds and need to re- upholster...
Strange shape bathroom decoration with Porcelanosa tiles
I have a dilemma with the following shape bathroom....