How many LED lights for my kitchen!?
stephenstern
How many LED lights for my kitchen? 5W, 50W Equivalent, 410Lumens for a 240" x 134"
Your math suggests 6-7, this seems too few, i thought 4 lines of 3 or maybe even 5 lines of 3.
Kaplan Architects, AIA
This is a hard question to answer. It depends on whether the LED lights are recessed cans or surface mounted. Are some of them going under counter? It is usually a good idea to employ a combination of different lighting sources in the kitchen.We usually like to have some surface mounted lights on the ceiling to provide some general light. We also like to use undercounter lighting to light the task areas at the counters. Then we will add decorative lighting , maybe a pendant over a counter at a peninsula or lights inside of a cabinet with a glass door. All of these systems can be LED lights.
October 9, 2013 at 4:07pm   
stephenstern
Sorry should have said. They will be downlights. Cabinets will be underlit i suspect, kitchen yet to be designed.
October 9, 2013 at 4:09pm   
Fred S
Maybe this will help.
http://m.inspectapedia.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Finspectapedia.com%2FBestPractices%2FLighting_Interior_Guide.htm#2612

The proper way to figure this is by footcandles. Generally, you should have one recessed about every 3' above the outer edge of the counter top. Without knowing your actual cabinet plan, I can say it should be between 10 and 15 cans. The middle of the isles and dining area do not need to be as bright. Under cabinet lights should not be relied on for anything more than eliminating shadows plus a little more. Do not put your overhead lights in a place where your body will cause a shadow while working at the counter. Those pictures in magazines are made as showcase kitchens, not usable kitchens.
October 10, 2013 at 12:58am     
stephenstern
Link doesnt work unfortunately
please see images attached
October 10, 2013 at 2:44pm   
Fred S
I think that must be the mobil version.
http://inspectapedia.com/BestPractices/Lighting_Interior_Guide.htm?no_redirect=true

You may need to shorten this one back to .htm
October 10, 2013 at 3:15pm   
Fred S
Or Google
inspectapedia.com Best Practices Lighting Interior Guide
October 10, 2013 at 3:19pm   
Lewis / Schoeplein architects
If you are really unsure, one recommendation is to make your primary lighting dimmable. Over-lighting can be as bad as under-lighting!
October 10, 2013 at 4:21pm   
Door color ideas
The door colors were green from when we had yellow...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Brown everything. Searching for a rug... Help!
Hello. I am searching for a rug to put in my living...
European Oak Flooring
Has anyone had any issues with European Oak flooring...