Need help with living room
stacymark
I have recently moved into a new house. It's all very white, light oak floors and calacatta counter tops. It's leaning towards mod, but with traditional bones. My living room is what you see when you enter from the front door. Living and dining are one room. The living room also is connected to the kitchen via two doors across from the french doors to the patio. The piano sits in its own niche to the side. How should I position the furniture and what should I get? I'm leaning towards slip covering the two chairs with a natural linen, and getting the same fabric for a new couch (this one in photo is leather). I want the living room to feel very inviting and casual...very casual and super comfortable. The piano is a pecan color and is glossy, and can't be changed. The fireplace is plaster same color as the walls with a white oak block for the mantle. The fireplace surround and flush hearth is black metal. Looking for direction. The overall look I am drawn to is the Beta-Plus' Timeless Living books. I have 3 kids and a dog, so this will get a lot of use. Thanks!
Jeannie Nguyen
Hi Stacy! Anymore photos of the room in different angles to see what you're working with?
October 9, 2013 at 3:55pm   
stacymark
Sure - here are a few more. Thanks!
October 9, 2013 at 6:14pm   
stacymark
The photo taken from behind the chair is looking at the room from the entry hall where you can see the living and dining rooms. The photo with chairs on left is taken from doorway between living and kitchen. The first photo is taken from the dining room side.
October 9, 2013 at 6:16pm   
A Crew of Two
Gorgeous!!!! I would love to see a tone on tone fabric for your chairs. Is your sofa in bad shape? I really like it. Seeley Living Room A Marlow Gabrielle Slipper Chair
October 9, 2013 at 6:32pm      Thanked by stacymark
Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
Hi Stacy, Move the sofa to face the fireplace with the coffee in front of the sofa. Purchase 2 end tables and place one on each end of the sofa. Place your two chairs on either side of the sofa (almost 90 degrees to sofa) . Because you already have black iron legs on your coffee table and the around the fireplace, black iron would be a metal you can use in other areas...lamps, accessories. I recommend not trying to match the two new end tables to the coffee table. Is the wall in the right foreground green or charcoal? The fireplace wall can be painted to give you some color. Do you plan to keep the sofa pillows? You could paint the fireplace wall one of the colors in the pillows. Continue your black metal and accents colors to the dining room. If you have any more questions, I will be glad to help. Cheryl
October 9, 2013 at 6:41pm      Thanked by stacymark
I think I'd want art above the mantel - about the width of the firebox. It is quite a "leggy" room. Any chance you could skirt the chairs when you re-do them? Are you chandelier shopping for the dining room? If so, fixture should be 1/2 the width of the table and hang 36" or less above it. You might try linen slipcovers on the dining chairs too.
October 9, 2013 at 8:06pm        Thanked by stacymark
Ann
Nice room. I also like the current sofa and agree it might be nice to try it facing the fireplace with one chair on each end of it.
October 9, 2013 at 8:14pm        Thanked by stacymark
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Stacy....I am always learning, and when you mentioned Beta-Plus I had to check it out,
Belgium Pearl I'm very familiar with because one of my absolute favorite designers is
Walda Pairon and often her rooms are on that site. So, saying all that I really like your
aesthetic, the white walls, the tall French doors, the fireplace and your sculptures, to me
what you want is simple and straight forward. I wouldn't color-up the room, or over
accessorize. Since you have children do the linen slipcovers, on the chairs to the floor
and the sofa too. I would get one unique chair and throw a sheepskin over the back. You can certainly play with re-arranging, just keep in mind that with all the chairs in the dining room the sofa as is anchors the living space.
October 9, 2013 at 10:22pm      Thanked by stacymark
fionakg
I would hang curtains and pull them back over the French doors, hang a big colourful painting, that ties in the curtain colour, on the wall opposing the couch (above the piano), and I would also hang a big mirror above your fireplace and add some tall candles on the mantel. For your slip covers I'd go with a dark colour since you want this room to get a lot of use. A dark colour will also help to accentuate your floors. I'd also replace your coffee table with a big ottoman and put a tray on top of the ottoman. If it's in your budget, you could also put down an area rug to help define the space and make it cozy. Good luck :)
October 9, 2013 at 10:53pm      Thanked by stacymark
Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
If you wanted to keep the space white and neutral, you could use a deep taupe color as your accent. The fireplace needs something to give it depth and texture. Maybe you could add brick or stone to the face but leave the walls white. The iron accents I suggested in a previous post would be consistent with the Beta-Plus Living. If you wanted a window covering, perhaps a roman shade or stagecoach shade. Attached is an image of a stagecoach valance.
October 11, 2013 at 7:29pm      Thanked by stacymark
stacymark
Here's the room from the patio towards the wall where you enter kitchen...
October 12, 2013 at 11:08am   
stacymark
Thanks everyone for you comments. How would you incorporate some black into the room, because that seems to root the space....Thank you!!
October 12, 2013 at 11:10am   
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Stacy.....I would suggest you decide what fabrics and colors your using for the chairs and if
your changing out the sofa. There are some beautiful Moroccan rugs in heavy textures with a black and white diamond pattern. The floors are beautiful so I would center with the fireplace under the coffee table. My earlier suggestion of a unique chair could be a black
leather butterfly chair with a sheepskin thrown over it.
October 12, 2013 at 11:57am   
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Stacy....The rug I suggested is on this site, so I took a picture off the computer to send you,
it is under "Recognize this gorgeous chair".....
October 12, 2013 at 4:39pm   
Vintage By Dounia
I think that adding a few Moroccan vintage pink poufs would look great! http://vintagebydounia.com/collections/furniture/products/moroccan-leather-pouf-off-white
October 12, 2013 at 4:54pm     
Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
An easy way to incorporate is black framed photos, artwork and mirrors. Black lamps shades too. One of m first suggestions was black iron lamps. Crew for Two is exactly what I had in mind.
October 15, 2013 at 7:45pm   
Electric Outlets on my Island!
I noticed the two electrical outlets on my new island...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need help on showroom floor paint color
I have an appliance showroom with white walls and ceiling....
Remodelling antique teak wood cupboard
The cupboard is old teak wood. It is very heavy for...
Island color?
The kitchen cabinets are Cherry Spice color on maple....