Dimmer switches - Love them or hate them?
October 9, 2013 in Polls
Some people hate them, some people love them.

(I'll tell you which one I am later.)

What do you think about them? Do you use them?

YES - I love dimmers on my lights.
NO - Lights should either be off or on
Neutral - I can take them or leave them.
gerrywatkins
I wish it were mine
October 9, 2013 at 5:13pm     
Travis Robert Renovations
For most rooms, Dimmers can add versatility and can change the mood of that space in an instant.
October 9, 2013 at 5:19pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Jandy Day
I agree with Travis! Dimmers work great in any living space.
October 9, 2013 at 5:26pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
jeezlouise7
I have dimmers on my pot lights in the kitchen and above the dining table. With the open floor plan for these two rooms, I can change my workspace into a cozy, intimate dining area. It just creates a lovely warm glow in the evening. Wouldn't do without them!
October 9, 2013 at 7:41pm     
The pro for dimmers is that at any point you can change the atmosphere in a room, the con is that installation is much more expensive (at least in Europe);

I have to make hard decisions about the real benefits of dimmers in each room and for each type of lighting.

Also some LED variable bulbs are not as good as others but they are expensive in the first place.
October 10, 2013 at 12:43am     
I'm having a hard time imagining the down side to dimmers. You can ignore them if you don't want dimmed lighting, but having the option is always useful.
October 10, 2013 at 5:06am     
AAYAM CONSULTANTS
option should have
October 10, 2013 at 5:55am     
Nicole Lee
being able to dim the lights is such a perfect way to create variety with your lights!
October 10, 2013 at 7:24am     
Okay, I confess. I hate dimmers. I love the "idea" of dimmers, but in reality dim lights are stressful to me because I hate having to strain to see things. I'm one of those lights on or lights off people. I see that at least right now, there are 4 people like me. :)
October 10, 2013 at 8:54am     
kimdee24
One of the first things I did when I moved in was to have dimmers installed for all the lighting in the great room and kitchen. I have an 'upgraded lighting package' which means there are eight six-inch recessed cans in the great room on one switch, plus 5 cans and three island lights on another. All on -- it's like being on stage!
October 10, 2013 at 9:09am     
Emily, I think if we didn't have dimmers our teenage son would never agree to get up in the morning. He insists on eating breakfast in the semi-darkness, slowly upping the dimmer as he wakes up.
October 10, 2013 at 9:15am     
Jolene
Just don't have them, but had them growing up. Loved them and only have one on our 1 Casablanca fan. I have yet to feel the need to have them but could seen the usefulness. Not sure why someone would hate them.
October 10, 2013 at 9:21am   
Yale Appliance + Lighting
Check out Legrand....It will change your mind about switches..Seriously http://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/88495/Legrand-Adorne-Electric-Switches-Dimmers-Prices-Reviews-Ratings
October 10, 2013 at 9:28am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
@feeny that makes perfect sense since mine gets SO BITTER when I turn the lights on full blast in his room every morning. :)
October 10, 2013 at 9:35am   
historichouse65
I just upgraded the lighting in my kitchen. ALL LIGHTS are on dimmers: can lights, cabinet lights, pendants, chandelier and wall sconce. It's wonderful to adjust the lighting for parties or for cooking. Plus, my 16 year old son is like Feeny's. Lol.
October 10, 2013 at 9:58am     
A&E Construction
Dimmers are also a simple and great energy saving choice!
October 10, 2013 at 10:22am     
Emily, maybe you need to give your son a bedroom light dimmer for his birthday. ;-)
October 10, 2013 at 10:33am     
haha! He's actually got one - I just rudely turn it all the way up. Poor kid. ;)
October 10, 2013 at 10:36am     
Clearly you need some behavior modification training! ;-)
October 10, 2013 at 10:40am     
stollroadsteve
I have dimmers on every light in the house!! Luv them.
October 17, 2013 at 4:58am     
sunnydrew
I love the versatility in every room, including the bathroom. Hate to turn on a bright light in the middle of the night. I have dimmers everywhere.
October 17, 2013 at 5:27am     
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi,
A quick note about our experience: Brigitte and I consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....We have 2 Chicagoland locations and a Michigan location which cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders, N.W. Indiana and S.W. Michigan.....Anyway, we use dimmers in every kitchen design we build.....We put one for ceiling cans, one for any pendant fixtures (over island or peninsula), interior cabinet lighting (glass doors) and one (or more) for undercabinet lighting.....Lighting is one of the MAJOR factors in all of our designs.....We have a Pinterest board devoted to some kitchen lighting effects we've done.....Take a peek here- http://www.pinterest.com/windycityjohn/kitchen-lighting/.....Hope this gives you some ideas and direction.....John & Brigitte
October 18, 2013 at 5:45pm     
cliffordhome
Love my dimmer switches. I like a bright kitchen when I'm cooking and then a nice dim kitchen when I have company (the party always ends up in the kitchen...) Everyone looks a bit better in the dim lighting and it makes the atmosphere a little more relaxing.
October 18, 2013 at 6:08pm     
nasmijati
If you could afford only ONE dimmer switch, what light would you put it on?
October 18, 2013 at 6:39pm   
historichouse65
Hi nasmati--if I could only do one dimmer switch--I would attached to the light fixture that is brightest in the kitchen--for example--overhead recessed lights.
October 19, 2013 at 12:12pm   
nasmijati
@historichouse55. Thank you. :)
October 19, 2013 at 1:01pm     
Love the look needs just one pop of color in yellow on counter.
October 19, 2013 at 1:49pm   
Barnhart Gallery
Last big party I had an emergency dimmer call to my handyman, who'd just installed a light post that week to illuminate the path for our guests, and I found that from the great room, it was so bright outside it was ruining the view beyond. Emergency dimmer did the trick, except doing it at the last minute meant installing a white switch on a black plate in the foyer and using Sharpie to camouflage, which now I have to keep re-doing every month until I remember to pick up a black switch...
October 19, 2013 at 3:24pm   
LLJ Interior Design
My electrician already knows to use dimmers on almost everything we remodel for our clients.
October 19, 2013 at 3:27pm     
Cathy DiVello
The best thing we did was put dimmers in the nursery when my girls were newborns!
October 19, 2013 at 5:00pm     
solincia
They are a must! When we moved in, we replaced most of our switches with dimmers and installed the screwless covers! Love them!! I can have light without being blinded. We keep our house relatively dark unless cleaning or cooking.
October 19, 2013 at 5:24pm     
Laura Vlaming | Arkiteriors
I've never designed a kitchen without dimmers...no matter what the budget is. My experience is, that everyone wants them!
October 19, 2013 at 5:45pm     
Nicole White Designs Inc
If budget allows, put em wherever u can, especially living and dining rooms and bedrooms
October 19, 2013 at 6:06pm     
Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
Love them
October 20, 2013 at 5:18am     
edithsmom
I used to like dimmers, but now my husband wants to install them on our kitchen island chandelier and I don't agree. As an older person who now has vision problems, I want everything bright and well lit ( including me, in stressful times).
October 20, 2013 at 9:27am     
Wayside Kitchens
I love dimmers. It's good to be able to control the light intensity. Highly recommended it.
October 22, 2013 at 4:27am     
Josh Brooker
I love dimmers. They can be finicky from time to time if you don't match the type of dimmer to your fixture or lamp type but come on....everyone wants to control the light!
October 22, 2013 at 4:32am     
cbothe
How do I find out where to get the island lights? Luv them
November 21, 2013 at 6:06pm   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Especially in the bathroom.
November 21, 2013 at 6:15pm   
chookchook2
I take a dim view of houses without them.
November 21, 2013 at 6:25pm     
mommickey
I have the dimmers. I don't use them. I have led in all my lights and I love my cheap electric bill. So I will pass on the using the dimmers. You can get the bulbs that you can use the dimmers with them buy they cost more than I want to spend. I bought my led's on clearance for 5.00 a piece they are four years old and I love them. I would like the glow they give when you want to sit and watch a movie but the rest of the time I like my rooms bright. My exhusband and my husband and son are about to put five more can lights in my living room. ( yes we all get along that well.) Great for my kids and all of us.
November 21, 2013 at 6:50pm     
oakleyspanky
I love my dimmers, all through the house. It actually cost me 250.00 just for the dimmer switch on our dining room chandelier "gasp"...My fave, though is in the master bedroom ensuite bath...I start the morning get ready ( bath in jet tub with music) on looow light, bit brighter to dry hair etc...start my makeup on medium, and by the time its natural light, I am almost fully conscious and presentable! If I see too many crows feet I just turn down the switch and then..voila! 5 years younger!
November 21, 2013 at 7:32pm     
7j DESIGN
Dimmers are excellent for creating different atmosphere in any space.
November 22, 2013 at 6:21am   
reba120
What's not to love?
November 22, 2013 at 6:23am   
novicenoodler
Does anyone NOT like to have a dimmer option?
November 22, 2013 at 6:27am     
Triangle Design Kitchens
I'm a fan of dimmers. The lighting in a room is the most important feature in it's function and it's mood. If you can't see your work you can't do it. But to change the mood for entertaining, a gentle midnight snack visit to the kitchen and to gently illuminate your space while highlighting it's design accents it's hard to beat the ability to raise and lower the intensity of the general, task and accent lighting. And if you don't like them...you don't have to touch them.
November 22, 2013 at 10:12am   
momof5x
We always have dimmer lights, I like that I can lower or increase the brightness of the room, however, I have learnt recently if you don't not have the right wall switch for some reason, that switch (or make of it) can affect its performance.
November 22, 2013 at 10:24am   
Erika Bierman Photography
I love them as a homeowner, also makes a huge difference for interior photography, too.
November 24, 2013 at 7:24pm   
Daniel DeSantis Interiors
Who doesn't like dimmers?!?
November 24, 2013 at 7:31pm   
Michael Lee, Inc
love dimmers - where needed
November 24, 2013 at 7:35pm   
Sonya N
I just rewired the entire house as part of remodel. I love dimmers as a concept, and use them; in reality, they have a few downsides. First, they frequently make your lights hum. Our recessed LEDs hummed, softly, but still, even on a $90 Electronic low voltage dimmer designed especially for LEDs. For incandecents and halogens, they reduce the top light output. We had our incandecent bathroom lights on occupancy switch, which we replaced with a dimmer switch; even at full brightness, the light output is noticeably less. Both are very unfortunate side-effects.
April 4, 2014 at 1:35pm   
SoCal Contractor
Dimmers are amazing! You can make the space as bright or as intimate as you want it to be. Have you ever gotten up in the middle of the light, went into the kitchen or bathroom, and were attacked by the brightness of the light? What if you could control the amount of light coming out so that it is dimmer and a lot more easy on the eyes immediately after waking up.
June 24, 2014 at 1:50pm     
Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
How about a lighting dimming control system? Just touch one button and several zones of fixtures start softly and ramp up to preset levels. There are scenes for entertaining, cleaning and dining. AND - All from your smart device app.
June 24, 2014 at 3:46pm     
fixeruppergirl
A must have in most rooms
June 24, 2014 at 11:22pm   
French Doors, love them or hate them?
What are your thoughts on French doors? Vote and...
Vessel sinks- love them or hate them?!
We are building our home and are at the starting stages...
POLL: Recliners - Love them or Hate them?
Do you shudder at the sight of a recliner in someone's...
Scented candles - love them or hate them?
Walking into a room with a candle burning in the corner,...
Bugs: love them or hate them?
I have one client that like me loves the old English...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Any ideas for a door color?
We just added the shutters and now I am looking for...
Help needed in updating the look of the exterior of this house
As seen from the picture this is a really old house....
Need help arranging bedroom
Hi! I'm not sure of placement of furniture because...