Please help with Kitchen facelift!
jenmyers
Our small kitchen (9'x15') kitchen needs a facelift!
- Custom built cabinets and granite countertops must stay. Cabinets are currently painted black - not really interested in repainting them all, especially since they match with the granite counters.
- Wood grain floor must stay for now.
- Wallpaper must go!! Would like to strip paper, but am struggling with selecting a PAINT COLOR.
- New LIGHTING is needed. This is a north-facing room with one window and it can tend to be dark.
- Would like to install new BACKSPLASH around counters. Kind of thinking glass tile?
I lean towards a traditional style. The rest of this floor is decorated in reds and golds.
studio3600
Can you change the appliances? Stainless would look nice with the black cabinets. Yes, new backsplash. Consider taking down your window treatment and maybe a can light in the ceiling. Definitely take the wallpaper down.
1 Like   Thanked by jenmyers    October 9, 2013 at 5:49PM
pcmom1
Wondering if it would be easier for you to just paper over existing paper with a solid color wall paper (or close to it!). Then hang a huge framed French food poster next to the table.

Changing appliances to stainless would look very good.s

Not a poster, but a chalk board would work also. Just make it big!

Thanked by jenmyers    October 9, 2013 at 6:08PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Take the wallpaper down and choose a light color paint for the walls. A light buttery cream would look good. I would go with a muted white glass tile for the back splash. Keep the white trim on the windows. Remove the curtain on the window.
1 Like   Thanked by jenmyers    October 9, 2013 at 6:30PM
jeannecardwell
Paint the cabinets! White! Paint top cabinets this year and bottoms next year if it seems like too much work. (It is) but well worth it. Removing the wallpaper and tiling the backsplash is a no brainier. Good luck!
   Thanked by jenmyers    October 9, 2013 at 6:41PM
sstarr
Agree with painting these cabinets white. And, there is something odd about the hardware; the knobs look a bit in the wrong position, too far from the edge and corner of the doors. I would definitely replace them when you paint with smaller, non-pewter finish knobs. Look at pcmom1's photo above for an updated hardware example.
   Thanked by jenmyers    October 9, 2013 at 6:47PM
porchnights
I agree with painting the uppers white and leaving the lowers dark, update the hardware for sure and maybe a tongue and groove backsplash if your going for a relaxed look.Will look much larger without the window treatment. Great room, love corner sinks!
   Thanked by jenmyers    October 9, 2013 at 7:29PM
apple_pie_order
Take a scrap of granite, a paint stir stick with the black paint on it, and a scrap of hardwood floor down to the paint shop when you pick up chips. it will save time. The ceramic hen with her yellow chicks (?) may be a good inspiration piece for colors.

In the meantime, try removing the shades from the chandelier and the window light. Raise the window light up so it doesn't glare. Then you can pick out some new lighting. Install the new lighting before you choose paint colors. Add an undercabinet light over the sink. In a room with black cabinets and one north window, you need a lot more light than a white kitchen with a south facing window. Consider adding more fixtures.
   Thanked by jenmyers    October 9, 2013 at 9:11PM
Taylor
No need to spend a fortune or spend a lot of time: remove window treatment, replace lights, paint walls and put up backsplash. And maybe even change table and chairs or give them a facelift. If we're on the same page and you want some suggestions on products, let me know :)
3 Likes   Thanked by jenmyers    October 10, 2013 at 7:09AM
pcmom1
Have you thought about eliminating your table and replacing it with a butcher block island that has room for some stools? That would add more prep space. Amazon has a ton.

1 Like   Thanked by jenmyers    October 10, 2013 at 7:43PM
jenmyers
Thank you everyone for your ideas... think we're going to focus on trying to update the lighting first and then hopefully that will help us with some of your other suggestions! Appreciate you taking the time to offer help!
   October 12, 2013 at 6:23AM
apple_pie_order
Good plan! Please post photos after you change the lighting.
   October 12, 2013 at 6:29AM
Amy Cali
I don't mind your chandeliers at all. I would change out the dark shades for a linen color then I would add some under cabinet lighting. I'd also consider removing the wallpaper as a priority. You can still get that country kitchen feel with a more subtle paint. I'd sit back and reevaluate after those three fixes. You may be surprised how much that alone updates your space.
   October 12, 2013 at 6:30AM
cplough
I think painting the walls light grey would really lighten the space and look good with your black cabinets. Good luck!
   October 12, 2013 at 6:38AM
dclostboy
Can't tell your granite colors, but glass subway tile in light gray or beige might look nice.
   October 12, 2013 at 6:40AM
Angel18432
If it's dark in there, take down the valance and let some lite in. Under counter lighting works wonders.
   October 12, 2013 at 6:51AM
Need help on a facelift for the kitchen!
Our kitchen was 2 years old when we bought the house...
Help! My kitchen needs a facelift
I love my kitchen—it's quite spacious for a studio...
Lighting help for Kitchen Facelift
We just completed painting our circa 80's cabinets...
Help! My kitchen needs major facelift!
Recently moved and previous owner did horrible job...
1930's kitchen facelift - color help desperately needed.
We're (DD and I) having a really hard time picking...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Utilizing the corner spaces with our latest collection
http://www.bonito.in/2014/maximize-your-interiors-with-these-15-corner-shelf-design-ideas/...
Cabin kitchen gut job
Hi all! We will soon be undertaking a complete kitchen...
Update my foyer please!
Our home was built in 1900 and is a classic American...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...