What to reupholster this with for more modern look?
gmz_jax
My mother-in-law bought this tufted sofa and arm chair in Italy 30 years ago and was getting ready to leave in on the curb for Salvation Army! So, I've rescued it b/c I think it needs saving even though our taste is modern. It's in excellent condition b/c it's been kept under a plastic cover all these years. I think we will have room for it in a small sitting area we have in the front of the house.

The question is.... what should I reupholster it with to fit in with our modern decor and should I paint the wood? I was thinking maybe paint black with a nice velvety gray/blue fabric, but really have no clue!

Help please
JWinteriors
To reupholster this sofa, could run you close to $1000, depending on the fabric. It is a large piece to go in a small sitting room. Your decision to move forward with fabric choice. Black frame would look very nice with gray velvet or ultra suede. The steps would be to strip all fabric, sand, prime and spray frame...then give it to an upholsterer to cover.
October 9, 2013 at 8:43PM     
Marren Dizon
Maybe something like this
October 9, 2013 at 8:54PM     
Do something over the top (velvet a great idea) with piping. You will love it forever. It's an old quality piece and you'll keep it and love a long time. I'm glad you saved it and it will be worth the $$$ to reupholster in quality fabric and style. Something funky...or a safer gray/blue velvet. Here's some ideas.
The Cezzane Couch
sofa
Kim Parker Interiors Designer Showcase Space02
October 9, 2013 at 9:04PM     
Yeli
I would still have it tufted but with straighter lines; I'm a big fan of this style. I would definitely darken the wood.
October 9, 2013 at 9:10PM     
Jeremy Pierce
There is no need for you to take this piece to a professional to do. Once you strip the fabric, you will have a pattern to work with. Then a few tacks, some staples and some extra batting and you will be in business. Yes, it does require some work,but you can do it. By-the-way, get the best fabric to do this project. It will be worth all that you put into it.
October 9, 2013 at 9:16PM     
gmz_jax
Thank you for the suggestions! Love the bright blue.
October 10, 2013 at 9:52AM   
ExclusiveMod Furniture
White
May 20, 2014 at 6:03AM   
Am I going about this the right way?
So my daughters are getting a bit older, nearly 6....
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
Is there a standard window installation? Room for curtains?
I stopped by my new house build last night. I'm wondering...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...
Chalk paint advice
Hi, just bought this & I'm thinking of painting this...