Directions to lay hardwood floors
blhiggins
October 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hardwoods are going in all downstairs. As you enter front door, do you place hardwoods vertical or horizontal?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
It depends on a lot of things:
How wide the space is,
What the spaces beyond are and how the wood will flow into those rooms

Talk to your contractor and see if you can reach an agreement.
If your contractor has a lot of experience they should have a good logical opinion.

Listen to it, but then use your own common sense and intuition to see if you agree. It's a team effort.......
   October 10, 2013 at 4:18AM
cljakl
This subject caused several very long conversations!! Apparently, conventional wisdom is to lay vertical; we went horizontal. We don't have a hall from the front door, everything comes off the entry foyer; small hall, library, great room, etc. we thought it would look choppy to have vertical. Great advice from Lampert Dias!
   October 10, 2013 at 4:41AM
boodiebooh
I had to lay ours in the opposite direction as to what i preferred. 2000 sq feet all running the same direction. It has to do with the floor joists. The wood has to be laidperpendicular to the joists. And everyone you ask will give you a different answer. I trusted my contractor. He was not going to warrant the job if it was not done in this manner. So im used to the floors now, they look awesome and im SO glad i listened .....throw rugs break up the look of the wood laid in the rooms as well.
   October 10, 2013 at 4:53AM
boodiebooh
Oh also , watch contractors will suggest a direction which makes it easier for them ie less cuts! So beware of that too.
   October 10, 2013 at 5:35AM
PRO
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
I agree with the above advice - be guided by your contractor's preference about what will give you the most securely installed result.

Also consider, though, when the flooring will run continuously through several rooms, it may well pass over joists running in different directions. Will you change flooring direction there?

If the entire floor will have wood running in a uniform direction, it is inevitable that this direction will be more appealing in some of your spaces than it will in others. But "all one direction" is still the most appealing visual result... makes the rooms feel nicely unified, and more spacious.

Good Luck! Mark
   October 10, 2013 at 5:45AM