Design & Display Ideas - In Home Residential Vintage DesignBoutique
spencerbetz
It began the day I returned home from the grocery store to find my 17 year old daughter sitting on the couch silent tears streaming down her face. "This is the saddest movie I've ever seen Mom..." she said as I sat groceries on the counter. It was an old James Cagney or Jimmy Stewart movie, the first black & white film Jaimi had ever seen. So moved by a scene of the male star boarding a train and blowing kisses to his beloved female co-star who stood clutching her handkerchief to her chest as the love of her life boarded a train for God only knows where, I'm not sure who was more distraught by the parting of the leading man, the attractive 1950's female lead or my teen daughter.
It was in that moment I realized, my beautiful daughter is a true die hard romantic... An idea began to form. Jaimi (pronounced Ja-me) wanted to attend FIDM. My income was to high her to qualify for a grant but not enough that I could afford the tuition. I decided to gift her with a business that involved design. I started buying up vintage jewelry from Europe. And I hired 4 jewelry designers to create magnificent one-of-a-king wearable works of art from the pieces. I nearly opened a 2000 sq ft boutique in Carlsbad, California, but the $3000 per mo. Rent and $25K-$30K needed to remodel with tin ceilings & elegant 40's décor stopped me.
In the meanwhile, vintage bustiers adorned with lace & antique buttons (Friday Nights by Jaimi Janell), vintage slips turned pretty summer dresses, custom 40's style chenille bathrobes with vintage buttons, included in our Sunday Mornings by Jaimi Janell collection and vintage handbags redesigned were also being added to our line.
$40K in, I realized Jaimi may be a romantic & love the jewelry, but I love it more. As a logistics expert my company (conclusivesolutions.com) specializes in meeting the equipment needs (mobile laundry, showers, restroom trailers, water trucks, staffing, etc.) for FEMA, military training operations, government, corporate and event management firms, keeps me busy 7 days per week, so I decided to open a boutique that caters to brides/bridal parties in my new home. The room has a bay window. The logo is being hand painted by a muralist today. We have SO much jewelry to display (have props and jewelry display trays, holders, etc.) & need to hang all the vintage nightgowns and have a dressing room as well... Design ideas needed! Additional photos of Jaimi Janell products will be shown below this post so you have a feel for what will be sold in the boutique! My pool area will be used for Bridal Parties Spring through Fall starting in 2014 and I will advertise in Southern California Bridal Magazines.
spencerbetz
The room has a closet with mirrored wardrobe doors that can be used for the vintage nightgowns and men's smoking jackets... But will still need a semi-private dressing area with pedestal & mirror (like Say Yes To The Dress) and room for displaying 300 one of a kind jewelry, handbags, bustiers, etc... I think crawl space above the room is accessible ... Will add lighting as needed to show all in proper lighting.
October 10, 2013 at 7:02am   
apple_pie_order
Why is this posted in "design dilemma" on Houzz?
October 10, 2013 at 7:14am      Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
apple_pie_order ... Because I need to make this room in my home a boutique where brides and their bridal parties can come and technically it's an average size bedroom... I need ideas for displaying jewelry, nightgowns, etc., and space is a problem... plus I still need room for the brides and her party to walk around AND I need an area to try on stuff...
October 10, 2013 at 7:50am   
bevballew
Posting here to follow.
October 10, 2013 at 6:23pm        Thanked by spencerbetz
Measurements please. You could do a storage window seat in the bay for storing extra bags, gift wrap, business items and use it for MOB to sit while bride models clothing, etc. I like the all white look so the colorful jewelry and clothing take center stage. You could have guests remove shoes and slip into some custom made white slippers with the JJ logo while they browse - and they are a free gift for shopping with you. Check out some of the "glorified" room-size closets in upscale homes for inspiration. If you could do a tray ceiling into the attic above you'd gain space visually if not square footage. Then drop a killer chandy from the center. I'm having trouble with Houzz tonight, but will check on you tomorrow and see what is in the works.
A new Maine "cottage"
Waterfront Estate
River Oaks Residence
The Baystone Custom Home
Traditional Closet
Master Closet in White High Gloss
October 10, 2013 at 7:10pm   
spencerbetz
Will measure here shortlyl! Love the ideas decoenthusiaste! I had thought a window seat, but not storage inside... And love the slippers.... I'm going to order a chandelier for the room today! The painter is painting in there today... it's called Teal Ice I think, it's white with the very slightest aqua... so light, it looks white. The Caplan Custom Home cabinets would be perfect... Especially if they were built 12" or maybe 16" deep... and glass shelves and proper lighting and it would display the jewelry beautifully AND keep them dust free... I bet they cost a fortune!!! But, I'm will get a quote from a local cabinet maker and see what it cost! Like the the chairs w/ small table shown in the River Oak Residence. The table could be a table top - glass display case as well. Painter Robin is a muralist and he's painting the logo on the recessed section of the wall today I think.... I'm on my first cup of coffee and when both eyes are open, I will go measure the room! till need a dressing area. The room has berber carpet now but thinking I should maybe put hand scraped walnut floors in like the majority of the rest of the house? Will still need a dressing area though... Great pics you found! Measurements to follow!
October 11, 2013 at 4:38am     
The paint color sounds great! Check out IKEA's Billy Bookcase - very inexpensive, very customizable and might work well for you. You can light them with LED lights, paint the backs a palest teal to go with the wall color. Doors available too.

October 11, 2013 at 8:04am        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
Going to check out doors!!!! Hope they have glass d deconenthusiaste!!!
October 11, 2013 at 9:55am   
spencerbetz
The room is 13' from doorway to bay windows and 11' wide.... 8' x 6' x 12" or 16" will work perfect!!!
October 11, 2013 at 6:49pm   
Thinking about your dressing area and found this DIY folding screen for your painter to embellish. I think you could get a pair of them, fasten one end of each to a wall with a floor mirror or plate mirror hanging between them. Then a latch on the other ends so the bride could walk inside, pull the two folding screens away from the wall and latch them together for privacy. Then when she's dressed and ready to model, the screens could be unlatched and folded against the wall where they would flank the mirror and be out of the way. What do you think? It would certainly save floor space for you. Be sure the painter's embellishment would show well when the screens are folded out of the way against the wall for advertising value.

October 12, 2013 at 5:03pm        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
This is an excellent idea! Have a cabinet maker coming next week to give me a quote for lighted glass cabinets something like the ones above and will show him this as well... The room divider need cover maybe 4 or 5 feet from shoulders to knees... Should hold up if attached to studs in wall....
October 13, 2013 at 8:00am   
You may be able to attach them with a piano hinge for more security and less probability of coming loose. This one may be taller than you need, but those who like their privacy might appreciate it. Let's see the new paint job and a pic of the chandy if you can upload one!
October 13, 2013 at 9:25am   
spcoale
Doesn't look like you have a corner like this in your room, but wanted to share this glamorous sitting area with you for your project.
October 16, 2013 at 9:54am   
spencerbetz
Sorry folks... Own my own company and although this time of year it usually slows down, out of the blue I just got slammed with orders...
The room is 11 Ft x 13 Ft.... Robin's Custom painting finished painting the logo above the Bay Window today... Lighting will be installed hopefully by the end of next weekend so that it lights up beautifully and we're removing the fan and installing a gorgeous chandelier as well as adding recessed lighting. Then I think I'm going to add a raised half moon platform like the kind brides stand on and put it up against the wall and have a huge mirror on the wall behind it. Then above it put a type of bed crown thing with beautiful drapes (love the design & style below - only round like the platform), that pull back with nice ties but can be closed and will turn the platform in to a dressing room! And of course, lighting that shows whatever they are trying on at its best...
October 26, 2013 at 9:05am   
Please reconsider the platform idea. It will gobble up your sales floor space and present a possible tripping hazard for clients. If the surroundings are special and you're carrying unique items, not wedding gowns, you don't need to copy what the other bridal shops do. Make yours an outside the box experience, not just another place on the list that they'll forget as they move on. You want them to return to JJ's because it is different from what everyone else is offering. How are you coming on the special slippers. Logo looks good!
October 26, 2013 at 8:11pm        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
You're right about the platform. I got carried away! We're going to make slippers and flip flops by buying from aliexpress and adorning them ourselves... We will be offering private poolside bridal parties with massage, facials and beverages beginning this May... I was going to remove the carpet in that room and replace with walnut hand stained wood floors like the rest of the house but I'm considering just ripping out the carpet & pad and staining the concrete floors. So much to do while still finishing the other rooms in the house and running my business....
October 27, 2013 at 8:07am   
Concrete will be cold to stand on in bare feet. Shoes are the first thing to come off when trying on clothing. If this room is to succeed as an intimate, bride's closet of accessories, it will need the plushness of carpet with a bit of pile. Keep your overall image in view, and don't be distracted from creating a jewel box of a space.
October 27, 2013 at 8:47am        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
Just bought the oval curtain rod to use for hanging dressing room curtains....
October 27, 2013 at 1:31pm   
I have one of these rods over a clawfoot bathtub and they are troublesome. That will complicate having a mirror in view while inside the dressing area. You will probably be better off with a ceiling mounted rod that has a groove for the curtain hangers to roll inside. You could mount it in a corner of the room to set off a triangle for dressing and mount plate glass mirrors on each wall of the corner. See at countrycurtains.com.
October 27, 2013 at 1:45pm        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
Looked at the corner first, but the bay window consumes the space... The only other option was to build a cornice, which I may end up having to do... But I want to put recessed lighting in and thought a cornice would then have to be pretty darn fancy on the underside of well...
October 27, 2013 at 1:48pm   
spencerbetz
Okay.. just sent a request to cancel the order.... Thank you! Going to call a friend of mine that is a cabinet maker and ask if he can make me a three sided 60" X 36" cornice that can hold drapes and anchor it to the ceiling... I am going to ask if he could build one that has cubbies in it something like this one below...
October 27, 2013 at 2:33pm   
orangecamera
Does this give you any good ideas?
October 27, 2013 at 2:54pm        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
It does... I'm looking for a little more high end though I think...this place is adorable....
October 27, 2013 at 2:57pm   
Whispar Design
Hello Spencer. Our accent cornice has a built-in rod to hand panels if this is what you mean?

We have built custom units for designers but I can't say they have ever had cubbies - maybe an idea for future development :)
October 27, 2013 at 4:38pm        Thanked by spencerbetz
That will be much better! What will go in the cubbies?
October 27, 2013 at 5:23pm        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
Whispar Design ... Yes, that is what I mean, but the cornice will need to extend from the wall about 30".
decoenthusiaste ... We make vintage brooch bridal bouquets, stunning statement necklaces and more... Anything would look pretty up there... We have lots of display props as well including Vintage Maribou kitten heels and netted hats from the 30's & 40's ...
October 28, 2013 at 7:31am   
Pretties! Just make sure they're large enough to be seen from eye level below. I think it will be a unique idea, and that's what you're going for!
October 28, 2013 at 7:54am        Thanked by spencerbetz
spencerbetz
Still working on the cornice design... 55" to 60" in width and 32" to 36" in depth is heavy... Have to figure out how to do it...
October 28, 2013 at 8:31am   
You may have to reinforce in the attic above to secure it - especially when you consider the weight of the drapery too.
October 28, 2013 at 2:50pm   
Small Boutique Hotel Design, Corfu, Greece - Modern Ideas Needed!
I am the owner of a small Boutique Apartments-Hotel...
Modern Residential House Plans & Contemporary Home Designs
There is a wide assortment of contemporary home design...
Vintage stylish '30's home ... serious need ideas for layout....
The look/period: mid 30's French Art Deco..it was the...
bath fixtures: chrome or burnished nickle?
Is chrome a desired finish again? My house is mostly...
Help needed with Shower Niche nightmare!
My husband, is planning to leave the raw edge on the...
living/dining makeover
My living/dining room is a mismatched cluttered mess...
whole house finishes
1988-doors, molding & trim in honey oak in all rooms....
Furniture placement for long living room
I am ready to start making over our boring living room,...