New house, new piano, same old question - where to place the piano?
karen038
Just moved (thus no art hung yet and boxes still sitting on floor - don't judge me!). Small baby grand is coming soon and I'm debating where to place the piano. Behind the sofa at the back of the house, or behind the gold chairs up front? I play daily, and the piano is a beauty - so I want it to be easy to get to AND visually pleasing. Room is 14x26ft., doorway by the metal screen goes to the front hall, doorway back by the sofa goes to dining room.
karen038
These are the floor plan options I drew up.
October 10, 2013 at 11:28am   
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Karen......The piano should be facing into the room, so the flat side is against the window, and you are seating facing the room, the beautiful lines of the piano lid open are viewed
from the room. If you don't understand I can send you a picture.
October 13, 2013 at 10:01pm        Thanked by karen038
karen038
I agree they look best with the case open. Ive always owned uprights, which force you to play with your back to the room, so this will be much nicer. So should it go up to the front of the room, where it would be the first thing you see when entering from the foyer? If angled, I'd face the foyer side of the room while playing. Or the other end, and face the fireplace side? The sofa back is just 27 inches high, so wouldnt impede the view of the piano.
October 14, 2013 at 6:02am   
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Karen......I know that many people position there piano so there back is to the room, most
often when they do that the curved and most beautiful part of the piano is aim at the wall. I
think your piano should nestle in the corner where you will see it from the foyer, flat side to the window and bench near the fireplace wall. You don't need to bring it to forward, it should be like your drawing on the left, only turned. I found a picture with the right position, it's too
bad the lid isn't raised but you'll have the idea.
October 14, 2013 at 9:47am   
karen038
I see - that will be beautiful. Thank you!
October 14, 2013 at 10:20am   
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi.....It will be beautiful, your welcome.....
October 14, 2013 at 10:57am   
Check out our new website!
We now have tabs with direct links to our awards, customer...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Can't decide between concrete slabs or Trex like paternal for deck.
I live in Miami where the sun hits constantly. I'm...
Two small bathrooms or one bigger one?
We are remodelling our home. Besides a master bedroom...
Family Room (Starting Over)
I'm starting over. I need suggestions on accessorizing....