bathroom gutted! 30 sq ft...
boodiebooh
Can i use a 12x24 floor tile? Also thinking of going beveled subway tile white in and around tub but having second thought. My house is quite contemporary. Oh yes, also my small bathroom is also the main bathroom ufortunately. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Lynne
Yes, you could use 12 x 24" tile which with minimal grout lines will look almost like a solid surface. I'd change your toilet seat to white and add an interesting wall color or wallpaper.

If you can install an abbreviated frameless glass shower enclosure such as you see below, that would offer a contemporary note.

For storage I'd like to see you replace the vanity with a Duravit or Ikea vanity that is wall hung, allowing the entire floor to be seen and thereby giving your bath the look of a larger space.

Small Space Bathroom Duravit Vanity
October 10, 2013 at 6:14PM        Thanked by boodiebooh
Deb Lahteine
I too have a small main bath. Pulled out the surround (gutted the whole room) and did 12 x12 with a very thin grout line.
October 10, 2013 at 6:21PM        Thanked by boodiebooh
boodiebooh
Looks great! Thank you.
October 10, 2013 at 6:26PM     
condomary
@carolyn. Will water leak under that shower enclosure or is there some sort of grout?
October 10, 2013 at 8:35PM   
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Howdie Doodle, Boodle Booh! Some partial-wall shower enclosures sit in water-tight fittings on the bottom and vertical edges. Others hinge on the wall, allowing them to pivot in slightly to manage water run-off. In any case, any partial-wall unit would definitely help your space feel larger and more contemporary, but would also rewuire more careful water-aiming behavior while showering.

This sort of semi-enclosure is also more pleasant while bathing than is a full-door arrangement. Best wishes with your project! Mark
October 10, 2013 at 9:29PM      Thanked by boodiebooh
boodiebooh
Lol, thank you!! The shower is now gutted! The entire bathroom is now gutted with the exception of installing the new toilet because i had a party here last week of about 40 people and almost had no toilet lol...stressful ! So here is where im at! ....aren`t renovations fun ?
October 11, 2013 at 5:21AM   
boodiebooh
Any ideas for tiling? What does anyone think of the white bevelled subway tile look?or should i go with a more contemporary look and uniform with matchimg floor/ wall tiles? Small, main bath.
October 11, 2013 at 5:29AM   
Genevieve
to begin with , I just found these tiles and thought that they are perfect for your bathroom as well

Mosaic Borders]

Carrara Marble Italian White Bianco Carrera Marble Subway Tile Honed
October 11, 2013 at 5:48AM        Thanked by boodiebooh
I'd use the same tile on floor and walls because you are right, it will look more uniform and contemporary that way. And I'd stick with a solid color tile, no pattern. You could add a single vertical accent stripe if you want some pizazz.
October 11, 2013 at 5:50AM        Thanked by boodiebooh
Genevieve
I don't know what tiles you have used Carolyn but sometimes we cannot do that ,water and glossy tiles on a floor calls for injuries .
October 11, 2013 at 5:53AM   
I would always test a floor tile for slipperyness, and in fact, I usually carry a water bottle with me to do just that, barefoot in the summer, and with my fingers in the winter. Frequently tile manufacturers offer a polished wall tile and a unpolished floor tile in the same color/pattern. Safety must come first, by all means!
October 11, 2013 at 7:10AM        Thanked by boodiebooh
nancyann0277a
Listen to the designer, Carolyn, re ideas for tiles matching. We just totally renovated our ensuite using same tile for wall and floor. Looks lovely
October 11, 2013 at 8:45AM        Thanked by boodiebooh
dclostboy
Larger form factor tile on the walls and tub with smaller on the floor could trick the eye into thinking it's bigger. Minimize grout lines on large scale tiles.
October 11, 2013 at 8:53AM        Thanked by boodiebooh
Here's one of my favorite photos of a bath that used 12 x 24" tile on both the walls and the floor.

October 11, 2013 at 9:06AM        Thanked by boodiebooh
boodiebooh
Thank you for all your help! Would you call that tile a grey beige? I love the look, very polished but many many tiles are too creamy almost orangy peachy and if they are not they are streaked with lines!
October 11, 2013 at 3:28PM   
boodiebooh
To dclost boy....thank you so much. I agree less grout lines is best!!
October 11, 2013 at 3:30PM   
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider 4x8 and 2x8 tiles in alternating rows or your subway tiles stacked or vertical. No need for a beveled edge.
October 11, 2013 at 5:53PM        Thanked by boodiebooh
Yes, the tile in that photo looks rather gray/beige to me, too. However, a simple cream would also look good. DalTile and American Olean offer some good choices.
October 13, 2013 at 6:25AM      Thanked by boodiebooh
boodiebooh
I am tile shopping tomorrow. This helps a great deal. . My house colors are greys, blues and dark brown hardwood floors. Will cream blend with the whitebathtub and white vanity top and white toilet?
October 14, 2013 at 8:33AM   
bygeorgi
Here's a shot of my bath redo.... white subway, no bevel tho and a charcoal grey 12 x 24 floor tile. In another house I used a charcoal floor tile with a granite counter top called Kasmir to brings greys and beige together ..... worked out well.
October 14, 2013 at 8:54AM        Thanked by boodiebooh
Yes, cream tiles blend well with white toilets and tubs. It's kind of like white trim with cream walls...works fine! American Olean has a tile called St. Germain that I like very much and it comes in a 12 x 24. I used it in the color Creme recently in a stunning bathroom remodel.
October 14, 2013 at 1:58PM        Thanked by boodiebooh
boodiebooh
I will definitely take a look !! It has been the toughest job so far picking tiles!
October 14, 2013 at 5:31PM   
I wish you luck and please let me know what you find, boodie.
October 14, 2013 at 5:38PM      Thanked by boodiebooh
Ceratec Tiles & Stone
The 12x24 for your floor would look very nice in dark grey, Also you can always try a 4x16 in a light grey glossy finish for your shower. I recommend to play with textures it adds character. Other by Quebec Tile, Stone & Countertops Ceratec Tiles & Stone
October 14, 2013 at 5:43PM   
boodiebooh
I love the ceratec line. Im worried a dark tile will make the bathroom look even smaller i did go with the light grey glossy 3x6 for my kitchen backsplash by ceratec. Not installed yet tho. Still trying to build up te courage to tile it myself!
October 14, 2013 at 5:49PM     
If you're at all handy, and if you take a tile laying class at your local big box store, I think you'd be perfectly able to install a subway tile backsplash in your kitchen.
October 14, 2013 at 5:53PM      Thanked by boodiebooh
boodiebooh
Carolyn do you think i should forgo the subway tile look and stick with 12x24 uniform tile on floor and wall? Subway tile does not really have a floor tile match which is a big problem.
October 14, 2013 at 5:55PM   
boodiebooh
I looked up the creme tile. Looks very nice! Tricky part will be finding it
October 14, 2013 at 5:56PM   
I love this tiny bath…dark floor and a huge mirror.

October 14, 2013 at 6:00PM     
boodiebooh
Sorry i jumped around a bit here ...i am doing the subway tile backsplash. But i was also going to do a white beveled subway in my bathroom but just had big doubts which is why i posted here ! Now i am thinking to go with matching floor and wall in bath renos. Thank you Carolyn !
October 14, 2013 at 6:00PM   
You are most welcome, boodie, and I think you'll love it!

I'm surprised that you'd have trouble finding an American Olean tile called St. Germain. Where are you?
October 14, 2013 at 6:08PM   
boodiebooh
Ottawa ontario. :( very boring shopping!
October 14, 2013 at 6:15PM   
boodiebooh
Does Lowes sell it? Maybe i can drop into the ogdensburg NY Lowes ....or call them first. What about the 6 x 24 sized tile? I see they make that size too
October 14, 2013 at 6:18PM   
Hey, the capital of Canada should be big enough to have American Olean, I would hope, unless it's not a brand sold in Canada, but only in the lower half of North America.
October 14, 2013 at 6:18PM   
I used the 6 x 24" size on this bathroom about 4 years ago. A great look, but the 12 x 24" is more up to date.
October 14, 2013 at 6:20PM     
boodiebooh
No Ottawa sucks for shopping....boring civil servant city which offers very little selection of run of the mill products, no matter what your looking for.
October 14, 2013 at 6:29PM   
boodiebooh
Very nice bthroom ! But i see how larger tile is more updated. Thanks again!
October 14, 2013 at 6:31PM   
boodiebooh
Ogdensburg ny population 1000 maybe has better selection lol. I love shopping in the US :-)
October 14, 2013 at 6:42PM   
condomary
@ boodie. olean tile is available at Lowes
October 14, 2013 at 8:04PM   
boodiebooh
No luck finding tiles which i expected. Lowes carry st germain but creme is a special order which will take 3 weeks and there is no sample to view before ordering it.
October 15, 2013 at 5:54AM   
Not even the little bitty one on the display board that shows the series?
October 15, 2013 at 6:29AM   
boodiebooh
Nope! No display boards what so ever. If i want to drive to watertown which is about 150 miles they can have me a sample there in 1 week! Crazy eh?
October 15, 2013 at 6:36AM   
boodiebooh
Watertown NY
October 15, 2013 at 6:36AM   
Innovative Product Sales International
For a small bath with a tub, the rotatable curved shower rod allows for 30% more space while bathing and then rocks 180 degrees back into the tub and transfers the space back to the room. Gives a small bath the feel of a larger space and you don't brush up against the shower curtain. http://www.nodrillingrequired.com/Curved-Shower-Rods-s/132.htm
October 15, 2013 at 7:14AM   
Will American Olean mail a sample to you?
October 15, 2013 at 7:16AM   
If not, there are plenty of other cream colored tiles that would work for you. Did you see anything else at Lowes that you liked?
October 15, 2013 at 7:17AM   
boodiebooh
I seem to see so many shades of yellows pinks and oranges in the cream colored tiles....have you ever used the paint color revere pewter Benjamin Moore? Its the perfect neutral. A warm grey ( which any warmer would be a taupe and cooler would be grey. So i dont know, maybe thats why i was leaning toward a plain white subway tile.
October 15, 2013 at 8:02AM   
boodiebooh
I think my contractor is going to walk out on the job if i dont get my tile fast.
October 15, 2013 at 8:03AM   
Revere Pewter is a beautiful and popular color. It works very well with St. Germain creme, but probably with many other tiles too. You could certainly go back to the subway tile, but a 12 x 24 would be more up to date. Whatever tiles you consider, be sure to check them in daylight, and even better, in your own home. Colors can be greatly different in the fluorescent lights at stores than in the lighting of your own home. But taking the tile outside the store, which they allow if you explain what you're doing, will give you a good reading on the color.
October 15, 2013 at 8:14AM      Thanked by boodiebooh
boodiebooh
Wish me luck ! Heading back out to tile hunt. Thanks again for all your help!
Lynne.
October 15, 2013 at 8:18AM   
Wishing you a successful hunting trip, Lynne! Keep us posted.
October 15, 2013 at 8:28AM   
boodiebooh
:) thnx! Will do.
October 15, 2013 at 8:30AM   
Collette Tattman
I have a tiny bathoom, it had no shower just a tub with taps on tub next to sink. I moved the taps to the opposite end of the tub and created a shower. Bright tiles helped. This bath used to be pink, toilet, tub sink and tiles ( see before pic) It was a total reno but inexpensive. Flooring was from home depot tiles from costco
October 16, 2013 at 8:03AM      Thanked by boodiebooh
Love my table but....
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house...
Now What???!
So we bought this reclining couch set , very hard to...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Accent wall color - help please!
So courtesy some minor damage in the condo, we have...