Stand Alone Tub? Or Built in?
Jeanine_Owen Anderson
October 10, 2013 in Polls
Here is my current design question, stand alone or built in tub? Does anyone have a stand alone tub that is against a wall? If so, is cleaning an issue?

Our bathroom has space for a stand alone tub, although it will be right next to our shower and against the wall. I don't want cleaning to be an issue.
Stand Alone Tub
Built In that would have tile surround
Jeanine_Owen Anderson
Shoot, this 3rd tub was supposed to be option 3. If you vote for this 3rd tub, please just leave a comment saying "3rd". Thanks!!
October 10, 2013 at 8:38pm   
jofepi
I have about 8" between my stand alone tub and the wall. Cleaning is no problem.
October 10, 2013 at 8:48pm     
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Jeanine! I vote for option three. It seems, though, that if you have room for a tub in a deck (option 1) with even a little tile around it, that you'd have room for at least a couple inches of air around the stand alone tub. And you'll have to find room to work in your filler faucet and drain, of course.

Option one appears to have more curved sides - not so nice looking right up to a wall.

The free-standing units make the room feel bigger, in part because of their smaller foot-print, leaving more floor for your eye and your feet. Mark
October 10, 2013 at 9:20pm     
jofepi
I love my tub that is like tub 3 as it doesn't take a great deal of water to fill, is easy to clean and is very comfortable. I have also seen a similar tub built in with tiles surrounded by two walls and a shower. That also functions well, gives you some shelf space and looks very nice. Because the tub is narrower and not very big, it is easy to reach in for a quick clean.
October 11, 2013 at 6:55am     
I prefer the built in tub with the tile surround only because there are places to perch your shampoo bottles, etc. We have both tub styles in our home, and our free-standing claw foot tub (original to the 1929 house) is right up against a wall--like an inch away. It isn't so much a cleaning problem as a wall splashing problem since the walls in that extra third floor bathroom aren't tiled. So as much as I love the look of our clawfoot tub, and enjoy taking baths in it, I am constantly aware of having no place to put my shampoo and of splashing the wall when I use the hand-held shower attachment. In our deck tub neither is a problem.
October 11, 2013 at 7:17am     
oh2livewell
One has to have a place to set a wine glass or two. A tub for one is great. A tub for two is a great time!
October 11, 2013 at 8:52am     
I am so agreeing with feeny and oh2livewell! I am currently redesigning three bathrooms, and in all I opted for the built in. While I love the "design and wow" factor, I am too pragmatic. I hear clients wanting to put their shampoos, their drinks, their candles, their books, towels ... all nearby... so I spend the money on marble tablets overlaying the bath rather than on the stand alones.
October 11, 2013 at 9:00am     
bellesum
Standalone. Whether 1st or third is better really depends on the surroundings but there is no picture of the space.
October 11, 2013 at 8:57pm     
Jeanine_Owen Anderson
Bellesum, the space is being framed out now. I wish I had a picture. That would help so much.
October 14, 2013 at 3:56pm   
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Need help with living room layout
Just moved into this place and need decor ideas for...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Fave winter recipe?
What is your go-to meal when the weather gets as chilly?...
Complements to my new cedar fence
Now that our cedar fence is finished, how should we...