Reinvent Your Living Room
Space Design Miami
October 11, 2013 in Other
Again, Marcus Pickett gives us some great ideas!

It's important that this room is designed properly since it sets a tone for the rest of the house: it says a lot of about you as a homeowner and as a person.

Living Room Design Tips
Define the Room: The best way to plan a room is defining its purpose. Is it supposed to be a playroom? Is it for entertaining? Is it formal? Is it for looks alone? Or do you want it to have multiple functions? The more specific the function, the more appealing the area. In other words: when people know how to visualize a room's purpose, the more comfortable they feel in that space. This preliminary decision will help determine the room's overall shape. 

Find the Focal Points: Once the purpose is defined, you now have to find a centerpiece: that one feature that draws the eye. Most of the time, it's the TV. But why? Entertainment centers take up a lot of space and can often look clunky. Instead, consider being more original with your living room design. Focus on the fireplace, a painting, or something more personal to you. But if it has to be the TV, try to find a way to camouflage. Buy a cabinet that can be closed off. Or invest in a TV that can hang on the wall, thereby blending into the décor when not in use. 

Arrange or Rearrange Furnishings: 
Once the focal point has been defined, the next step is living room furniture. In order to make things look fresh, you don't have to buy new stuff. And unless you're changing the room's entire color scheme, you shouldn't even have to reupholster. Instead create a whole new atmosphere with just a little imaginative rearranging. Remember, not everything has to be against the wall. Also, while arranging, don't forget to supply ample walkways for guests.

Create Space in Your Living Room Design

Many times these spaces can become cluttered. Not because of poor housekeeping but because there's too much going on. Here are some popular pieces that could use some re-evaluating in order to create more square footage:

Coffee tables: Why walk around these objects and risk bumping your knees? End tables are more user-friendly and less in the way. But if you still want to put your feet up then get a recliner or an ottoman, which save space and are easier to negotiate.
Couches: Maybe get a smaller love seat instead. Or if you like big couches, possibly invest in a sectional or a wrap-around, and make it the room's focal point.

Bookcases: These are an elegant feature to any room, but to save space you could invest in some simple shelving or have them built directly into the walls. Most of all, remember that they don't have to be used just for books, but also knick-knacks, picture frames, etc.

Antiques: It's cool to have decorative living room furniture but beware of them getting in the way. Antiques set a mood, but they can also clutter an area, especially if they're never used.

Let us know what you think, comment below or
FOR DETAILS CALL US 786.348
Another great article.
October 12, 2013 at 4:14am   
kris1958
If coffee tables get in the way, why do you have a picture of a room designed with a coffee table?
October 12, 2013 at 10:11pm     
incubus_of_habit
Another lame Spam
October 12, 2013 at 10:53pm   
Space Design Miami
call us
786-348-5407
October 13, 2013 at 10:17am   
reinventing living room
I am changing a very formal living room into a more...
Re-inventing a living room
My client's living room was never used so I thought...
4 FRESH IDEAS TO REINVENT YOUR HOME THIS SPRING
Spring time is quickly approaching and the team here...
Reinventing our dining room
My husband and I purchased a 1925 Craftsman in the...
I'm out of ideas for countertops
I have been researching what color and material the...
Colors to go with ugly cabinet finish?
I'm getting ready to start redoing the kitchen of my...
Need landscape architect to help us with our landscape in St Croix.
The house sits on a hill. The lot (incl house) is .71...
where to end backsplash?
Stove and window are on the same wall. I have 9" on...
Paint color...please help!
I love this wallpaper and I'm using it on one wall...