Boring Bungalow lacks Curb Appeal!
robinwild
October 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a small 1958 brick bungalow that is designed with the doors on the sides. After owning it for a year we must sell due to relocation and the comments we have had on our showings have been that it has no curb appeal and they don't like the front. Since being here we have put in a new asphalt driveway(it runs the length of the house and goes to a separate garage), put in a stone walkway(it is right against the front and goes around to the left front door), and graded and sodded the front lawn. It is October and too late too do any major landscaping where we live. The front brick also has a water stain that we can't seem to get off. Please help with any suggestions to make our house look nice.....we are not very creative and we don't have a huge budget, but we will appreciate any and all comments. Thanks !
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
It looks clean, neat, and well cared for. I agree, it could use more curb appeal, but that may not be the key to selling it. When you bought it, what did you like about it? That'll give you a clue about what the next buyer will like.

If there have been a dozen or more showings, your agent should have some good feedback for you.

Do you have photos of the inside?
October 11, 2013 at 8:42AM     
apple_pie_order
You mentioned that it is too late in the year for landscaping. What climate zone and metropolitan area are you in?

Have you looked at side by side comparisons of MLS photos with your competing houses?
October 11, 2013 at 8:44AM   
dclostboy
What about a flower box with cascading vines under the large front window? Should still be able to get some color and interest without too much cost.
October 11, 2013 at 8:47AM     
robinwild
We liked that it was a solid home from the 50's on a quiet street in a nice neighbourhood close to shopping and downtown. The inside was taken care of and the owners had it since 1979. We are in Canada not far from Montreal A house just went up in our neighbourhood.....comparable but they have just one bathroom, but beautiful landscaping, interlock drive, fenced yard, beautiful!
October 11, 2013 at 8:51AM     
robinwild
How do you get cascading vines to grow really fast? A flower box might be nice in the spring if we are still selling........
October 11, 2013 at 8:53AM   
dclostboy
Would have to buy them long or find them that way. Remember, you're staging for effect more so than permanence.
October 11, 2013 at 8:55AM   
apple_pie_order
I like the flower box idea. Use pots of seasonal flowers plopped in with tiny evergreen pines. Once the snow covers the ground or frost hits, you can replace fall flowers with strings of battery operated fairy lights, decorative solar lights, pine cones, some red and white ribbons, etc. Sometimes there's a use for fake plants, too: try bright fall chyrsanthemums. If silk poinsettias are used with a wink and a nod in your neighborhood, you can try those. If fake flowers blooming in snow are regarded as tacky, stick with pine boughs, pine cones, ribbons and lights. Google images of "winter flower boxes".

I'd also consider changing the small address numbers to something two or three times larger with high contrast against the brick.
October 11, 2013 at 9:49AM   
lefty47
HI -- Yes , this is a challenge to do much at this time of year . What bothers me the most is the glaring white of the windows . So if you can paint those , then paint them in a charcoal or a very dark brown .Don't forget the part above the window. Maybe also paint the eves (under side of roof overhang ) and the rain gutters and roof edge. If you could add some paving stones to the left side of the walkway to the width of the steps . Get some big house numbers ( 4 to 6 inch size ) and hang them vertical about a foot in from the right front corner. That will at least do something to make that brick section look less bare .
October 11, 2013 at 9:51AM     
apple_pie_order
Also consider adding a huge pine wreath on the wall out front once it snows. If fake, make sure it is a really good fake and looks expensive, trendy and luxurious, not cheap space-filler. If real, take it down right after New Year's Day.
October 11, 2013 at 9:54AM   
PRO
Jodi Ramsden, Real Estate Broker
I think adding a little Bristol set to the front of house would give the front a pop of color and some landscaping and not break the bank landscaping but maybe a umbrella tree in a garden bed to the front of the walk way.
October 11, 2013 at 9:57AM   
Dar Eckert
I can think of three things that would help the curb appeal but may be too expensive.
1. Put stained horizontal wood siding over the corner section of the house from roof to ground.
2. Put a pergola over the main entrance to the front of the house to emphasize the main entrance.
3. Put a sidewalk from the main entrance to the street. Make is as wide as the stairs. This will also emphasize where the main entrance is.

Trillium House
Stefani House
Portland Mid-Century Modern
Tarrytown House
October 11, 2013 at 10:16AM   
lefty47
HI -- Another idea that can be done right now that won't cost too much is ,..... just add some trees ! The garden centers have trees on sale now , so now is the time to buy and plant . Get three or five matching trees like - maydays or lindens or ornamental pears or anything conical shaped , and plant those in a row about 8 feet apart or less , down the left side and then plant one show tree out in front of the brick wall about 15 feet from house . This tree could be a cut leaf weeping birch ( my preference ) or a flowering crab - something that has a bark that will show against the dark brick . Get the biggest trees you can afford . So maybe 4 or so trees might only cost about $500. to $700. So that is a lot of curb appeal for less than a thousand dollars . Trees add a lot to the look of a house .
October 11, 2013 at 11:12AM   
libradesigneye
Three things - new address numbers, and paint the front door and storm door a bright cheerful yellow. Something like sw decisive yellow - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6902-decisive-yellow/
That, coupled with the slate walk will make people think - MODERN as their first impression. This is a great bungalow for modern style - get modern number font about 6 - 8" tall and put them in the same place - black would be terrific. If it is easy, add a long black iron window box under the front window as the third thing but this is probably the lowest priority. Buy the black iron wall hanging boxes in a clean mod style and line them up until they extend past the window and sill on both sides. Leave the window / don't worry about paint.

Then the first impression will be "this house has been updated" and no one will see the water stain - ps - I think your house has great curb appeal
October 11, 2013 at 11:30AM     
lefty47
HI -- Robinwild -- If you are still on line - I was just wondering what you did with your house ??
July 2, 2014 at 6:48PM