POLL: Halloween Decorations
Houzz Polls
October 11, 2013 in Polls
Halloween is near and we want to know how you decorate your home!

Vote for your favorite Halloween accessory. To enter into the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz Slippers, post a comment and tell us about the spookiest house in your neighborhood. If you have your decorations up, post a photo of your decked out home too!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 10/20/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
Pumpkins
Spider Webs
Skeletons
Mummies
Gravestones
Dry Ice
Other - Tell us Below!
Jodi Ramsden, Real Estate Broker
Scaring looking and love the display Inside the house
3 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 10:01AM
chloebud
I always have pumpkins everywhere and keep them on for Thanksgiving. As for spooky, I recently saw something that was almost too real and creepy. You could really scare someone by placing this lifelike peeper on a post outside their window.
19 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 10:04AM
Jeannie Nguyen
@chloe: Hahaha, I love that!
5 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 10:41AM
unwantedadvice
I don't decorate for Halloween anymore, just Thanksgiving decor. We have lived in this home for 20yrs. and we have never had many children come by even though it is a large neighborhood but we live along the edge. Now that we have two grandchildren, we trick-or-treat with them in their neighborhood!
7 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 12:11PM
dkvhaus
Big black trash bags!!
It gives the whole house a patent leather look. Cut them at the seams and "wallpaper" hallways. You can seal-off doors to limit access to party guests. Best idea to transform a house to Halloween.
11 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 12:25PM
mlx395
Witches, bats, pumpkins, string of Nightmare Before Christmas lights, black lights, and spook house votives.

The scariest house in our neighborhood is my next door neighbor's house - not because of any decorations, but because the trees and yard are overgrown, practically covering the house and front yard in creepy shadows. Plus, the owner is a very strange guy. : /
9 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 1:27AM
My daughter did this a few years ago - she has a wicked sense of humour. I know it i has been done before, but she loved this!
11 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 1:50AM
A Stonetech P.Ltd.
3d printed pumpkin
7 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 2:50AM
My husbands idea of spooky!
15 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 4:34AM
bordercolliesrule
These are all wonderful ideas! Where do I start!?!
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 4:52AM
Susan
We love to decorate with jack o lanterns and pumpkins with designs created with varying sizes of drilled holes. Some are placed on the floor of the porch and some in hanging baskets. They are so beautiful when lit at night.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 4:56AM
dshaviv
I like the cold ice:-)
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 5:11AM
webnutty
Still have little kids...scarey is the way to go!!!
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 5:22AM
keepoly
The graveyard
10 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 5:39AM
Kat
We make origami bats. They're cute. :-)
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:08AM
geol
Nothing says Halloween like flaming pumpkins
35 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:09AM
algi711
Pumpkins and carving contests...always fun and always a new Halloween "treat".
6 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:24AM
Avril Rainville
I used creative scenes in pumpkin carving long before there were store-bought kits. Love that there's no end to this festive creativity.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:44AM
quantumnerd
The scariest thing I love is using projection camera's, I saw a guy who used three pumpkins and he made them sing. Also someone did this and put a huge spider crawling in his window, it's so easy if you have the camera. And you put up white sheets in your window. The first is the spider, the second is the singing pumpkins.

and one more window display:
7 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 7:11AM
dragonflyfaeryy
I did the dry ice last year in an antique cauldron. It left a mist that floated onto the walkway and was a HUGE hit!
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 7:15AM
hikathyg
One word.... lighting. :)
13 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 7:41AM
TickleMe Plant Company
If you like halloween and Zombies. You can now grow a real ZOMBIE PLANT that Plays.
DEAD when you Touch it!. http://www.thezombieplant.com
It is very easy to grow indoors in the Zombie Plant Grow kit.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 7:41AM
Annette Prejean
Nobody in my neighborhood decorates for Halloween.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 7:57AM
lizriley
All of these are great! but I like the skeletons in particular, I am using one that can bend and pose so it's fun to be creative with them.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:01AM
printesa
I like pumpkins and fall plants. I haven't yet seen a Halloween decorative theme, other than pumpkins, that doesn't look like clutter.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:09AM
emuller39
I like all of the decorations shown but prefer them outside not inside. I would want people to see them and enjoy them.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:12AM
tinkerbellissima
We have the spookiest House on the road. We live in the London and have grown our halloween decorations so they take over ever room downstairs and out in the garden. In my road we have no street lighting so it really dark and I put out the giant stick candles in our graveyard along with a fog machine. I love Halloween, I could spend months on decorating. Q
23 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:23AM
Michelle Baney
Pumpkins are a staple for Halloween.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:30AM
Susan Hampel
Crows!
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:44AM
sunnie2day
Definitely gauze ghosties suspended in front garden trees and at least one near the front door controlled by a hidden string to 'spook' the Trick or Treaters!

@tinkerbellissima, wow! Fabulous and very creepy - perfect!
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:54AM
almostjane
What could be better for Fall than pumpkins? They're perfect from harvest to Halloween to Thanksgiving. That bright orange cheer they bring alongside all the brown that so much of Nature is becoming now. PS - I think pumpkins are like tulips and daffodils - an item that always looks much better in mass profusion. Bunches of pumpkins - all different sizes - look so well together. Plus they're inexpensive and can eventually go into compost piles.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:57AM
chloebud
almostjane is so right...bunches of pumpkins are best!

Anyone remember seeing this Halloween "display" from a few years back? It sparked a few 911 calls.
6 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 9:07AM
Lisa McManus
Classic pumpkins are my favourite to do with our kids
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 9:29AM
ernestof
The spookiest house in the area has scary clowns on display in the front yard...going by there makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time. They use clowns similar to the King movie/novel. Would this image scare you too?
8 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 9:40AM
taylvs3
The scariest house in my neighborhood has a 20' tall Grim Reaper with glowing eyes.http://my.diynetwork.com/crash-me-please/South/Memphis-TN/detail.esi?oid=30714526
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 9:44AM
stueerb
Our neighborhood really doesn't go out for Halloween but we do decorate for fall with fall colors ... I've added purple for a little pizzazz!
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 10:00AM
spropes
I live in a neighborhood that sees hundreds of kids on Halloween Night! One of our neighbors builds a haunted house in front of his garage that's fab! I display a multitude of faux carved pumpkins in various shapes and sizes sizes on hay bales that the kids love...Parents are always taking pictures of the kids in front of it! Too fun!
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 10:01AM
Belahn
Black cats and witches. I can't believe that wasn't a choice.
5 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 10:02AM
Shelly Angelo Wilson
I decorate with pumpkins and mums that will last me thru Thanksgiving. I just throw in a few electric pumpkins and other items for Halloween.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 10:24AM
jboncaro
The spookiest house I've seen has several gravestones scattered about the yard, with hands, arms and feet (from very realistic mannequins I assume) looking like they're trying to crawl out of the ground.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 10:30AM
tropicaldesire2086
Pumpkins are definetly the "go to" for Halloween but I agree about the black cats and witches! Not really Halloween without them! :)
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 10:43AM
rosebud3
ernestof, I hate that Stephen King clown from "It." Clowns never really bothered me until I watched that.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:00AM
rosebud3
For the first couple of years I lived in my house I bought candy and kept all outside lights on. In 23 years I've not had one treat or treater. Houses are too spread out, long driveways, and no street lights. Next place I live will be "closer in" and I look forward to scaring kids in my old age :)
5 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:03AM
Bianca Ward
Pumpkins all the way till Thanksgiving!
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:21AM
kpink
we like a combination of Halloween and Day of the Dead decorations...more vintage Halloween and skeleton DotD with lots of color and pumpkins...nothing gory or uber frightening...fun scary...
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:27AM
astongolden
white lights - scarecrows with sounds
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:38AM
teriemc4
We like to have our young children paint/draw on their pumpkins. We love to see how the creativeness grows each hear.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:43AM
verichavez
Before we chopped up this dead tree we set it out on our front porch and decorated it with spooky ornaments. I love Halloween.
5 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:52AM
4dweezle
Pumpkins, real, mixed with thrift store artificial ones. Scarecrow.and orange huge old lights. Inside: framed children's fall artwork in every corner. One has date of Oct. 26, 1986, "Time 7:40" by one of my daughters. Now adding g-children's art to collection. Have nearly ALL of my 1950's childhood decorations also. 4 ft, ivy tree topiary (real) ringed with glass pumpkins (light covers). Wish I could have $200 to do two front window boxes beautifully. Looking forward to frost on the pumpkins in Minneapolis!
4 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 12:02PM
pbj333
We have more Halloween decor than for Christmas ... Shameful but true. We sprinkle it all around the house as is we lived this way all year round ...
4 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 12:23PM
A Crew of Two
Lights make even simple decorations pop. Candles set the mood for creepy. Autumn Decor Malinard Manor - Stairwell
7 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 12:46PM
deeners1
I just saw the scariest Halloween decoration today . A house I walked by had a big wooden porch. Suspended from the porch was a life size girl mannequin that looked like one of those little ghost girls in horror movies. She had on a white dress, pig tails in her hair and very white ghostly skin sitting on the swing. It was so life like and creepy.
5 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 1:25PM
wkelser
Scary watcher in the yard... Kind of like a ghost. She has stood in my yard the last couple of years and the neighbors still comment. Long flowing dress, cloak, arms out and up-lit at night.
4 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 1:54PM
debleedy
Creative pumpkin carvings! Nothing more Halloween than a jack-o-lantern.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 3:18PM
kwixy
Chicken wire yard ghosts! Not to cheesey but still in the holiday spirit.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
Lara Johnson
Love pumpkins and gourds. I'm not a fan of super scary holloween decor around homes, so most of them freak me outta bit.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 4:15PM
Bradi Jones
My scariest Halloween decoration at where I used to manage, was an animatronic hanging lady that was meant to look like the nanny from the Omen, and it twitched when you walked by it! My husband and I made it from a rotisserie motor, and some wood, rope, etc! It was awesome!
5 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 4:49PM
daashbaby
Pumpkins, gourds, and mums always. I plan to carve pumpkins this year with a beachy theme ala Coastal Living!
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 4:50PM
dawsonl
I love Halloween and spend weeks thinking of decor ideas. Here is a picture from my front porch.
13 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 5:32PM
jackths63
We love Halloween here and decorate almost as much as we do for Christmas. It's nice to have a half acre front yard so we can add to it every year.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:03PM
ash24kf
Love pumpkins
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:16PM
fzypchz
Here are my decorations this year...
7 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:37PM
fzypchz
I like contemporary horror characters.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:39PM
lilion
All of the above! You can't have too much in my opinion. Here's our display last year. We get lots of comments, but sadly our street doesn't get many trick or treaters.
6 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:43PM
lilion
One more close up of my "wind chimes". And the fountain was full of eyeballs, spider rings and rubber bats. I let kids take a creepy treat in addition to candy.
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:47PM
lilion
And 2011...Gosh this is making me want to get to decorating!
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 6:50PM
Rizwana Alam
i like it
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 7:58PM
rwboy
Love the dry ice idea
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:03PM
Wild Hare
My daughter is scary..
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:14PM
Carolyn Olive
I just decorate in fall pumpkins and leaves and scarecrows and fall flowers.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 8:59PM
silverscreenstar
Canadian here. Our Thanksgiving Day is tomorrow. Going to worry about the ghosts and goblins when Thanksgiving is over! Really like the dry ice and the antique cauldron!
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 8:59PM
Carol Catlin
My 3 year old made the pumpkin for her teacher. We decorated our mailbox today.
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 9:37PM
judithahall
I only do Fall decorating now. When my children were young, I would always do a large Halloween project on the front porch. We don't have any young children on our block, so I've decided that doing only Fall is nicer and just as much fun. I always use lots of pumpkins, mums, large gourds and make a new Fall wreath for the front door each year. I love finding new arrangements for the pumpkins and co. , and searching the net or my brain for a great wreath design is a new challenge each year. I can leave all of this in place until a bit after Thanksgiving before replacing it with Christmas!
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 10:51PM
suzanne_m
As I can see above, lots of scary ideas. Mine is not scary but I like to sculpt pumpkins using patterns bought at the store. I try to get more challenging ones every year.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 10:58PM
Crimson Design & Construction
I love all of the above! I love Halloween!!
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 6:15AM
San Maz
Great ideas of warped minds:)
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 6:16AM
judithharwell
For several years we have experienced this Halloween spider attack. The neighbor kids love it.
12 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 7:10AM
Michele Sherritt
Not sure what part of Canada Silverscreenstar is from but the last I heard Halloween up north was still on Oct 31st.
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:04AM
w1ylw1cw
Neighborhood kids love my pair of guard lions, decorated appropriately for the season!
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:20AM
rosebud3
Judithharwell, OMG, I hate spiders! I got chills just looking at your photo!!!!!!
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:30AM
alainapm
I think the best decorations make you feel like you are walking into a dream state. Colored lights, spider webs, and sureal scenes that make you feel a nervous floating feeling when you walk into it. I love the purple lights. We like to make it look like it is actuall home decor - just abandoned and haunted.
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:36AM
EnvironmentalLights.com
LED Halloween lights are the way to go! Trick-or-treaters visit at night and what better way than to decorate with lights. EnvironmentalLights.com sells all kinds of LED lighting, including LED rope light and controllers to create spooky effects.

SALE going on right now - SAVE 10% on LED rope light! Coupon code "TREAT" at checkout.
http://enews.environmentallights.com/q/yvHsHB2WGOJBCqPE2epinARtlf8UumJFwhK4sQQco6qkL6wQrRBV4WPPd
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:45AM
sunnie2day
@Michele Sherritt - Canada celebrates their Thanksgiving in MID-October, not at the end of November as in the USA. Regional differences, don'cha know:)

Here in the UK, there is no Thanksgiving Day and I miss it. I always try to roast a big fat hen on the same day all the folks back in the States are doing a turkey (over here turkeys aren't usually in the grocery stores until closer to Christmas) and I try to get the street light cam from NYC online so I can see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Regional differences - gotta love 'em, they make the world go 'round:):)
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 9:39AM
Darcie
My favorites are our zombie flamingos. Always get comments on them!
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 10:21AM
luv2travel
Having fun with the camera to add drama
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 10:47AM
ldipaola1
Pumpkins & mums & fall flower wreath on the door with a burlap bow - but I love passing by the houses with the ghosts in the trees; I jump almost every time!
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 12:39PM
Signature Kitchen & Bath
Pumpkins are my favorite for Halloween. I think it's the fun of carving them that gets me!
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 1:17PM
Sharon Howe
I think the tombstones are clever and unique! They make we smile. PERFECT for a family with children!
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:36PM
RE/MAX Services Boca Raton
I am having more and more fun every Halloween! Dollar Store and Deals are fabulous for inexpensive decorations. Tough to get our pumpkins here in South Florida and Boca too early as they just rot so I wait until a few days before. Happy Halloween y'all. PS...my RE/MAX office gets into the "spirit" bahaha.
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:43PM
sodapop333
dry ice fog, with jack o lanterns up the steps. 'spider webs' in the trees. headstones set up in the front yard; with candles in the windows. a white sheet hung on a tree branch looks like a ghost at night!
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 6:05PM
portiatake
Skeletons Educational too And Day of the Dead
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 7:27PM
Danielle Rozon
The spookiest house in our neighbourhood is spooky all year long. Never see anyone come or go, trees are overgrown, it's big and mysterious and very outdated.
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 9:53PM
2bsmaller
I just LOVE pumpkin carving. I wish pumpkins were around longer in the UK.
5 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 11:56PM
wens13
The scariest house in our neighborhood has a huge Grimm Reaper on the front lawn (twice the size of the house in height). It has red eyes that glow...and they hung trash bags that look like dead bodies in the trees.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 8:55AM
juliea80
Pumpkins, bales of hay and barrels of mums
3 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 1:39PM
pfitzpat
I love the skeletons' design...different than the traditional pumpkins setting.
2 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 5:52PM
sarj81
Pumpkins, pumpkins, some gourds, and more pumpkins. All colors, shapes, and sizes.
2 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 6:08AM
anna50
Love the moodiness and effects of dry ice.
2 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 1:42PM
44lk
Traditional jack o'lanterns are awesome, but I also like to make the house look creepy with a murder of crows and rat silhouettes everywhere.
3 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 2:10PM
Marquita Tucker
I love adding spooky birds to the usual Halloween stuff. We have quite a collection of owls and ravens!
3 Likes   October 17, 2013 at 12:36PM
Jacqueline Pestano
Gotta love the pumpkins
2 Likes   October 17, 2013 at 1:47PM
3 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 4:38PM
sunnie2day
Pure Home, I love the cat pumpkins and the table legs with shoes and socks!
1 Like   October 19, 2013 at 4:20AM
ilovemickey
Our neighborhood isn't decorated yet but I can't wait for Halloween!
1 Like   October 19, 2013 at 6:23AM
reesip
We have a long winding path to our front door that I make into a spooky path by making consecutive arches with lights , spider webs, skeletons and ghost. I always make it on Halloween day as a surprise for the neighborhood. We have pumpkins, gourds and mums decorating our front before then.
3 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 1:28PM
lmgodwin
A motion activated spider.which drops down and makes a frightening noise. Spooky but not too scary.
2 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 3:21AM
Davia Jewell
All the above!! Halloween in my favorite holiday! Besides Christmas lol
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 1:36PM
chloebud
Pure Home, love your pics. I've used the white pumpkins with bittersweet wrapped around them...so pretty. Your fun table legs made me think of this which I saw recently.
4 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 2:13PM
dkvhaus
Surrealistic Vignettes!
I love the eeriness of haunted maze's vignettes. The authentic looking living room with strange lighting is like a weird dream- unsettling without gore!
My most favorite scenes were from Mother Noose's Scary Tales maze at Knott's (Berry)Scary Farm,(2002)
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 12:49PM
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to Danielle Rozon for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, don't worry, you still have some time left to you get your comments into our Flea Market Finds Poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/693221/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--Favorite
0 Likes   October 24, 2013 at 8:27AM
Heather Rose
See my Halloween decor at my place. I used the accessories from here http://www.justartifacts.net/halloween.html
2 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 11:21PM
POLL: Are you decorating for Halloween?
Halloween is around the corner and some people will...
Emmeline Westin
POLL: How early can I put up Halloween decorations?
I love Halloween. It's my favorite holiday. Every...
Do you decorate your yard for Halloween?
If you are going to do a Halloween makeover on your...
How do I order the witch leg stakes Halloween decoration?
How do I order this Halloween decoration? Carla Leighow carlei5@verizon.net...
carlajanene
Decorating advice for my dining room!
Hello, We have just moved in to a house and need...
Faye Reinstein-Zigron
Before & After Photos
Here’s another project we began working on recently....
Vanguard development LA
Bedroom Design Help
Hi! I recently re-did my teenage daughter's bedroom,...
simerjit
Beautiful view, what window covers?
I have a full wall of windows looking at our lake....
dierbeckc
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats