Need help sprucing up an 80's kitchen
ecupples
Any thoughts on how I can make this 1980's kitchen livable until I can afford a complete renovation? Please help!
Hudson Street Design
Paint would be awesome and inexpensive! Change out the light fixture too! How about some color to the windows with a nice light filtering shade. Hunter Douglas is great and we use them exclusively here at Hudson Street design of Napa.
October 11, 2013 at 12:07PM      Thanked by ecupples
Wow. I think it looks pretty darn livable now! I like the modern look. To spruce up the style a bit, I only suggest a modern table/chairs/pendant for the dinette area. In this case, no color looks great!
Tobias Chair, Clear
Eero Saarinen Tulip Table
Maskros Pendant Lamp
October 11, 2013 at 12:08PM     
Denita
Countertop and backsplash make a huge difference. Personally, I would change out the stove and range hood to something more modern. If there is enough in the budget upgrade the sink and the faucet. Then do the window treatments mentioned above. If you replace the breakfast area as suggested above you will have a whole new kitchen!
October 11, 2013 at 12:09PM   
Hudson Street Design
like these.... ; ) Use colorful accessories and towels.
October 11, 2013 at 12:09PM   
ecupples
Wow, thanks so much for your help! Darzy, I really appreciate you including those links. Funny thing, I was just drooling over ghost chairs so we're on the same wavelength! Denita, what color backsplash and countertop were you thinking? Stainless for both? Hudson Street Design, love the blind. What color paint were you thinking? And, ugh, those floors. The white linoleum has turned yellow and tan in some spots, white in others. We just had no idea kitchens were so expensive to redo when we bought the place.
October 11, 2013 at 12:17PM   
The Tobias ghost chair is only $80 from ikea!
October 11, 2013 at 12:20PM   
dclostboy
I wouldn't replace countertop if planning on getting rid of cabinets in near future. If enough of a budget, I would address floor. If not, paint and backsplash. Gray glass subway tile or even stainless steel tiles would look cool.
October 11, 2013 at 12:25PM        Thanked by ecupples
Super Bright LEDs
An easy way to spruce up any kitchen space is to add under cabinet lighting, and even lighting at the toe kick of the cabinets. White would add to the overall illumination and also helps with everyday tasks, or you could choose a color or color changing strip to add a little pop! We even have an RGB+White strip so you change from mood to task lighting at the touch of a button! Best of luck with the update!
October 11, 2013 at 12:26PM        Thanked by ecupples
Denita
This is what I had in mind: play off the white and chrome you already have in place. This might be too traditional for your style, but with the basic bones you have already in your kitchen you can go any direction
October 11, 2013 at 12:35PM   
Denita
I am having trouble uploading the photo (will keep trying)
October 11, 2013 at 12:41PM   
ecupples
Denita, can you resend the link to the photo you had in mind? Thanks so much everyone for your help!! I was at a complete loss.
October 11, 2013 at 12:42PM   
ecupples
No problem. Thank you!
October 11, 2013 at 12:42PM   
October 11, 2013 at 12:59PM   
Denita

This one is more contemporary - works with your existing cabinetry. Depends which direction you prefer to go - more toward the gray's or whites.
October 11, 2013 at 1:05PM   
ecupples
Thank you, Denita. So grateful for everyone's help!
October 11, 2013 at 1:14PM   
mlou72
There actually are products out there to paint the counters, but I think the counters are fine. I would put new range hood in, faucet and dining chairs. Add some stick on floor tiles and it would change it dramatically for under $1000.
October 11, 2013 at 1:16PM      Thanked by ecupples
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I also find your kitchen looks quite nice! Bring in some wooden chairs to warm it up. Either natural or black. The green chair gives the kitchen a very fresh and fun look and brings the outdoors in. A simple modern chandelier so as not to hide that beautiful window. I usually love window treatments but in this case I would leave the window as is.......it looks like a painting!
Denita
What do you think of this backsplash that would go with your existing cabinetry?

October 11, 2013 at 5:34PM   
I'm going to suggest something really inexpensive - paint. If you took the walls to a metallic tone of silver gray like sw tinsmith, it would help the white pop away and mimic the hardware. Put a cotton rug on the floor with a big gray and off-white stripe and call it good.
October 11, 2013 at 5:48PM     
ecupples
Wow, Denita, that looks stunning.
October 11, 2013 at 5:48PM   
ecupples
Brilliant, libradesigneye. What does sw mean? Sherwin Williams?
October 11, 2013 at 5:51PM   
Denita
It even goes with your existing countertop!
October 11, 2013 at 5:51PM   
ecupples
Truly gorgeous, Denita. You're a photo-finding ninja! I really appreciate your help. We've been really stressed about it. Thanks!!
October 11, 2013 at 5:53PM   
Denita
lol, I just think your kitchen has great potential and really only needs a little bit of tweeking. You never know, you might get another ten years out of it before you do the big reno. :)
October 11, 2013 at 5:57PM      Thanked by ecupples
Crogan Inlay Floors
would you recommend replacing the floor with something a little more modern? Or a linoleum rug to add color?
October 12, 2013 at 7:48AM   
LUMINHOME OPTOELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
October 18, 2013 at 12:24AM   
LUMINHOME OPTOELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
October 18, 2013 at 12:45AM   
1970's kitchen spruce up help
I have a very dark kitchen and just need some advice...
need help with siding ideas to spruce up a 50's rancher. Metal?
need help with siding ideas to spruce up a 50's rancher....
Need help spiffing up 80s ranch curb appeal!
We recently purchased this small 80s ranch on a beautiful...
need help sprucing up my dry wall kitchen hood.
when the builder had someone design this hood it was...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Hardwood or MDF mouldings?
My wife and I are renovating our early 80s home. We...
Help me finish our bedroom
I need help finishing our bedroom. I want the colors...
New wall and trim paint help
2 years ago we repainted our kitchen/keeping room a...
What kind of laminate?
We were looking into changing the carpet for laminate...