Bringing a 1960s exterior up to date on a budget
nottinghillbilly
October 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hoping for some advice/suggestions on how to make the exterior of our 1960s house in England more attractive.

We're not afraid of doing some building work.

Many thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosecafe
Subject to front boundary set-back rules, you should add a porch or portico to the front door area. It can only be single story due to the window above, but could be one of several styles. i.e. Flat roofed with columns, a gable facing forward, a hip or even an arched roof. It should be in proportion to the house, could be open or enclosed, theres a lot brick already, so perhaps timber weather boards, or timber framed and glazed. The front entry could then be from the right hand side, not directly from the front. The structure could be say 10' x 10' in area, and would a whole design feel as well as some 'depth' to the front of the rather 'flat faced' house. Some examples below.
October 11, 2013 at 2:34PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
libradesigneye
Heres a different view - great modern lines. Just change the front doors out to a mid century profile like crestview.com option carlyle and change light fixtures -
October 11, 2013 at 2:38PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
pcmom1
I would paint the area under the first floor window and the garage door in the color that is under the second story windows. That would help to "ground" the home.

Also plant a nice specimen tree on the left side of the home (looking from the street). That should help to balance out the garage and driveway. Landscaping is powerful!

A cover over the front door and garage would look good and be wonderful for getting guests out of the rain.
October 11, 2013 at 2:50PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
lefty47
HI -- Would you be allowed to add a new garage further forward on the property ,and then utilize the old garage into the houses square footage and then make a new entrance, also further forward and more to the left . If the garage was allowed , then if you could have the garage turned sideways so you drive in from the left . I could have a shed slanted roof that is higher on the right and normal height at the garage door side. You might be able to have a double car garage !The new entrance door would then be a nice solid wood stained with side glass .
October 11, 2013 at 2:55PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
pcmom1
Not the best example, but it does show a dark garage door and a cover over the front door:

October 11, 2013 at 2:55PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
pcmom1
Right now yard is flat. You could have good soil brought in and create a mounded area in the front. Fill with interesting plants. I also like the way the house numbers are displayed here. You could have large metal numbers added to the brick area above the garage for some interest.

October 11, 2013 at 3:06PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
sstarr
Garage doors, entry doors, and lanterns should be replaced with modern. Paint all trim except entry doors a mid-grey. Paint the entry doors a contasting color.
October 11, 2013 at 3:15PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
libradesigneye
Here you go - for now, paint the front doors a bright mid century color - with the tile roof and brick, I say chartreuse - or you could go teal - better yet http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/azurewater

it will signal your modern intentions - the doors you have would be better in a single next to a tall frosted window - but they are austin powers mod so work them!

On a budget, paint will be your best friend. Then, if you can, all the white trim / eaves / fascia in a cool neutral - that matches the depth / shade tone of the every so often dark brick. Here's the best I found to test http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mohegansage - don`t go carcoal since the gray will make the brick pop orane but green based flat bronze will have just enough yellow that it works with the terracotta brick.

If you can paint the window sashes (white will be okay if not) but if you can, go to a pale gray in this family like horizon gray. Don't do this around the entry doors - stay dark there adjacent to the bright door. Paint the garage door dark - it will de-emphasize the traditional stamping. When you have to change it, get straight panels.

Modern light fixtures across the front - the tall bronze cylinders are probably best http://www.lightingdirect.com/progress-lighting-p5642-aluminum-cylinder-series-6-x-18-outdoor-wall-sconce-with-heavy-aluminum-construction-and-powdercoat-finish/p357975

Finally - if you can bear it - take the entry door hardware and mail slot and use orb spray paint on them - follow the younghouselove.com spray paint tutorial and they will last / tie together better than the 60's brass.
October 11, 2013 at 3:44PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
October 11, 2013 at 4:27PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
dfid
What direction are you leaning towards? The present architecture lends itself to a contemporary aesthetic-but its not edgy enough to make a statement.

Are you leaning towards traditional or modern? My recommendations would obviously be different for either-

Modified Modern-

!st recommendation -change the front doors and the garage door. They dominate the front of the house but do not make a statement.
Modern design is all about color, composition. and contrast. Be tasteful but fearless. Balance is the key. The clapboard can be a camel color which would speak to the pavers on the driveway and bring it into the overall composition. The garage door can be natural wood-walnut perhaps or a very skilled artisan can paint it to mimic wood. The rectangular area that is white to the left of the door can be faced in a stone- this would be a modified modern look. The door color can be a lighter value of the charcoal that I would use to paint the brick.

I would select a different approach for an edgier aesthetic.- and yet another for a traditional direction...what is your preference?

Depends on your objective- What material is your roof? it looks rather like rows of Spanish terra-cotta tile -but in a pale neutral color?
October 11, 2013 at 5:28PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
Knuck1es
Are the garage and entry new additions? I think they need to be more in tune with the rest of the house. I love the three large windows in the main house, but the ornate front door throws off the pattern.
October 11, 2013 at 5:37PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
Knuck1es
PS I really like your car. :)
October 11, 2013 at 5:37PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
nottinghillbilly
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions, they are really appreciated!

Just curious if anyone would recommend doing anything different if there were unlimited budget?
October 12, 2013 at 2:40AM   
rosecafe
No budget? ...meaning moneys no object or, there's no money for a budget? 1. Moneys no object: I'd say, move. Don't over capitalize in the street. 2. Theres no money: plant a deciduous tree out front. 3. Swap the Bemmer for a Humber and build the portico / porch. Lol.
October 12, 2013 at 4:29AM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
nottinghillbilly
Lol! Excellent suggestions @rosecafe
October 12, 2013 at 4:36AM   
Sigrid
You have traditional doors in a modern house. You also have three colors which don't go well together. I'd recommend toning down the glaring white with a warm neutral. Don't paint the brick. It doesn't need it.

You also have no landscaping. Put in a specimen tree and a few shrubs. I am fond of fruit as it gives you free fruit.
October 12, 2013 at 5:36AM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
libradesigneye
If money were no object, change the double door to single door and sidelight w modern door style, run a modern trellis across the front elevation in the darker trim color / be back to post an example / stain the brick taupe, do a modern landscape treatment / use ipe or cedar across the siding areas / use a mod ipe wood garage door.
October 12, 2013 at 9:25AM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
pcmom1
Just wondering: Are you allowed to add a fence to the front? If so, some more privacy would be nice and allow you to utilize your front yard more for your own enjoyment.
Modern Revival
Modern Transformation
October 12, 2013 at 6:07PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
libradesigneye
Here's a couple of mod trellis details that could even turn the rest of the front yard into an awsome courtyard - change the door in the lower left to french doors out / with a low modern screen wall [houzz=Montectio Eco-Luxury]houzz=Sustainable Long Island Residence]
last two photos same place - [houzz=Palo Alto Residence 1] [houzz=Palo Alto Residence 2]
October 12, 2013 at 9:20PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
PRO
Real Estate by Design
Just change out the front doors to a modern design of your choice. Use the same wood on the garage doors that is under the upper windows and repeat it under the lower windows. Use the rest of your money on the interior.
October 13, 2013 at 1:29PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
pcmom1
Modern front door:
October 13, 2013 at 1:41PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
PRO
Real Estate by Design
Paint the eve boards on the house and garage dark to match the roof and install modern lights of the same color--cylinders or whatever you like. Yes,
you can put a single door in and fill with more horizontal boards and a mail slot and a light and some modern numbers. Hardware can all be dark or aluminum.
October 13, 2013 at 2:36PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
keripowell
We are just about to do the same and have gone for a Modernist front extension speak to Phil at http://architecturaldesignandplan.co.uk he has come up with an amazing design. Good luck Keri
October 13, 2013 at 2:42PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
October 13, 2013 at 4:21PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
pcmom1
Do you use the large front lawn? You could replace with a more modern landscape.:

October 13, 2013 at 4:26PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
pcmom1
Could add a fence with an automatic garage door close to the street and have yourself a great hidden garden!

October 13, 2013 at 4:28PM      Thanked by nottinghillbilly
PRO
Sustainable Dwellings
Love some of the ideas here... yes, you need some enhancement... what is a Humber?
October 13, 2013 at 4:57PM   
osuidoc
A "Humber" is the same as a "Hummer", just misspelled :-)
October 13, 2013 at 5:31PM     
rosecafe
Oh dear... You've forced me to answer the question. A Humber is NOT a Hummer, no, no, it's an adorable olde English car, from the fifties / sixties era. Like the green monster pictured above. Built by the Rootes Group car manufacturer along with other popular models including the Hillman and their sports models Sunbeam Alpine and Sunbeam Rapier. Prone to rust and under powered, but they were affordable and available. A Hummer ? Lol !
October 13, 2013 at 9:09PM     
Nancy
My first boyfriend had a Humber. I loved it. Lots of style.
October 13, 2013 at 9:11PM     
rosecafe
This is becoming another Top Gear ! For more information, go to www.car brochures.eu/humber P.S. Humber may well have produced an early version of the Hummer. See promo poster from Rootes Group, below. Lol ! Now back to the reno. No, not the Renault !
October 13, 2013 at 9:32PM     
PRO
Pebble Stone Coatings
A great option is Pebble Stone Coatings! With their all natural stone concrete overlay, any concrete surface can be brought to life. With a variety of colors and designs, they tailor a design that works best for you. At only $6.99 per sq/ft it is completely worth it. You most definitely get what you pay for! Visit the website at www.pebblestonecoatings.cm for more information!!
October 16, 2013 at 11:26AM   
rosecafe
I calculate theres about 150 m2 of brick work on this house frontage. @$7.00 p.s.f thats about $10,500 to Pebble Coat it. What? ! And you'd still have the same house, no added value, no added anything. Just the odd looking house in the street. The brickwork is just fine. Spend the ten grand on a grand portico and really see, and get, value added.
October 16, 2013 at 5:06PM        Thanked by nottinghillbilly
reggiesmall
No budget? Really? I'd thank everyone, say ciao and HIRE A PROFESSIONAL!
October 19, 2013 at 5:44PM     
PRO
Laura Vlaming | Arkiteriors
simple start is replace the front doors and the garage door with more clean line details. the front facade has many possibilities, and it would be ideal, to hire an architect, to sketch up some ideas for you.
October 19, 2013 at 6:02PM