Fabric for art deco chairs?
deborahjarman
I recently bought these art deco club chairs for my living room. Trying to decide on a fabric that goes with the style and also coordinates with a charcoal leather sofa that I have ordered. Would appreciate feedback on whether this Schumacher cotton chenille works. It has the charcoal of the sofa, the tan of the walls and the cream color of the baby grand in an adjoining nook. Just not sure it will work with the oriental style rug in the room. Also open to other suggestions.
sstarr
The fabric needs in my opinion, to be a solid color with its own interesting texture, to accentuate the lines of the chair. The classic thing would be satin, velvet or suede.
1 Like   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 11, 2013 at 6:41PM
deborahjarman
I've looked at mohair and linen velvets, but very pricey and can't decide on a color.
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 6:44PM
I think it works with everything except the beautiful rug. I'm thinking a chenille/velvet in a fabric with some curves (like the rug). Maybe a paisley pattern? I like the subtle gray animal print one. :)
winky
Kashmir Paisley by Peter Dunham Textiles
Big Paisley Fabric
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 6:45PM
studio10001
I like the choice of chenille. Darzy's choice reminds me of a great soft gold zebra carolins showed a while back; now let's see if I can find it.....
1 Like   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 11, 2013 at 7:03PM
deborahjarman
I like the choice of a chenille as well. The animal print is beautiful, but I think to silvery, as all the other colors in the room are quite warm. What about this chenille tapestry?
2 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 7:34PM
studio10001
I left her a message, as I can't find the thread. In my head, it would be another nice option - perhaps we'll see tomorrow :)
0 Likes   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 11, 2013 at 7:36PM
HI -- Those art deco style chairs are very masculine in shape . I could just imagine these in a distressed leather . But I think these would look good in a men's suit material with a fine pattern or texture . Like the look of a flannel . Some antique style nail head trim added would also work . Not a floral or any large patterns - the style doesn't suit that .
0 Likes   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 11, 2013 at 7:46PM
deborahjarman
Thanks everyone. Tomorrow will find me checking out options at local shops that have a nice selection of upholstery fabric in stock. Will keep my eye on something with curves in the pattern, chenille and possibly animal prints.
1 Like   October 11, 2013 at 7:48PM
studio10001
If you see something out of price range, you can always use navy on the exterior, or as piping to help moderate cost. Good luck!
1 Like   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 11, 2013 at 8:09PM
Genevieve
1 Like   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 11, 2013 at 8:44PM
carolins
Here's the fabric that studio10001 has in mind: Not sure if this one is suited for upholstery, but I know that they do have a very similar pattern in upholstery fabric too. Here's the link to their animal print fabrics. Sorry that I didn't have time to give you a more specific link. Have to go. Good luck: http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/59.html
1 Like   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 12, 2013 at 2:27AM
deborahjarman
Thank you carolins. Lovely! I'm hoping to make a decision today so the chairs can move from my garage to my living room soon! Appreciate your time and the link.
2 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 9:30AM
studio10001
Thank you, carolins. It is rhaaather bold, isn't it ?! ( - it would look nice on the smaller chair, though, should that be a future project) There is a tighter version on the site - Beos Golden - that might do well for this one, if today's hunt hasn't already brought home the prize.
1 Like   October 12, 2013 at 9:46AM
brickln
If you're keeping the rug I'd go with a solid velvet, moss green or that mushroom-y taupe in the rug. I really like the chenille you've chosen and the other patterns suggested, but solid carpeting would be needed, IMO. It'll be a pretty, eclectic space- warm and inviting.
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 9:53AM
dclostboy
This Donghia upholstery fabric is on eBay right now for $25 a yard. It's a shimmery gray bronze. I got some for bed pillows to go with gray paisley.
1 Like   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 12, 2013 at 9:56AM
carolins
Just had time to read this thread and look at the suggestions. One thought immediately came to mind, the chenille you posted yourself is too much like the rug I think.
0 Likes   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 12, 2013 at 10:29AM
deborahjarman
Thank you dclostboy and carolins. The Donghia is gorgeous, but I'd like something contrasting with the slate sofa in a warm tone. You're right carolins, it is too close to the rug. My initial plan for the chairs was a solid warm color in mohair or velvet. I'm trending toward warm copper tones, as there is a copper accent wall, an antique copper chandelier and coppery warm tones in the rug. I'm off to shop, but also found this solid color stripe velvet in copper??? Here's a photo showing the copper wall and chandelier.
1 Like   October 12, 2013 at 10:40AM
deborahjarman
The piano is no longer in the room. The rug will be turned on an angle to orient toward the fireplace, with a deco chair on either side; one facing the windows and the other toward the television. Here's a photo of the other end of the room with the fireplace. The brick is multi colored, with coppery terra cotta tones, charcoal gray and light tan. Most walls are Wise Owl mushroom/tan color.
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 11:01AM
0 Likes   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 12, 2013 at 11:02AM
deborahjarman
No aqua. Deep brick red, smoky green, cream, copper, black and mushroom.
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 11:05AM
dclostboy
I like the copper stripe you chose. Really need to be sure how upholsterer will lay on chair so that the lines make sense.
0 Likes   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 12, 2013 at 11:07AM
carolins
Ha... crossed comments :-)
I do like the copper velvet. If you're going for a monochromatic room... that will work fine I think.
0 Likes   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 12, 2013 at 11:08AM
deborahjarman
Not sure what I'm going for, but I guess in all honesty, monochromatic is what I've always done. Feels "safe" and calming to me. Maybe one day I'll be able to deviate, but for now, seems to be where I'm stuck! dclostboy, would have the upholsterer lay the stripes same as the original striped fabric on the chairs.
1 Like   October 12, 2013 at 11:34AM
dclostboy
Muy bien!
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 11:39AM
deborahjarman
Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to getting it all put together. Will post photos of the finished room in a few weeks. I think what draws me to the monochromatic earth tones is the view off the living room. Hard for me to deviate from the colors of nature outside my windows. I'm most at home when I'm hiking in the woods and I think this is what drives what is in my home as well. Charcoal river stones, mossy tree trunks and the blazing colors of Fall. Here is the view of our unruly, natural backyard that is seen through the windows of this room. Cheers!
1 Like   October 12, 2013 at 11:56AM
Love the chairs. Your fabric in gray is very nice.
0 Likes   Thanked by deborahjarman    October 12, 2013 at 12:12PM
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 12:13AM
small sitting area off art deco living room one couch one chair ?
floors are black hardwood.....white walls and crown...
kateaidan
art nouveau blend with arts deco
I have never seen an awning like this and the colors...
Kathy Behrens
Love the fabric on the chair and the art!
Can you share the source for both? Thank you!!
Jennifer Robin Interiors
Have any ideas about "Art Deco" of the 1930 era?
Preparing guest room with art deco in mind. Using...
dubosenewroom
What are your home plans for 2015?
What have you got in store for your home in 2015? ...
Grey or white aluminium windows?
Hi First time posting. We are refurbing and extending...
madamemaison
House build in texas
We live in Illinois, building in Texas...have picked...
lphillabaum
Need advice for bathroom make over
Bathroom needs complete makeover HELP!!!
tcampbell0608
Fireclay Sink recommendations
I have to replace my fireclay sink - we had a new garbage...
tukatz