need living room help
m1orozcoOctober 11, 2013
I need advice for my living room. Walls are large and having trouble deciding what to add.
i have ideas but don't want to keep spending money and not loving what I buy once its up.
I was thinking about doing a family collage and buying a nice chair with a coffee table and putting a plant on the side . what do you think?
also what do you guys recommend for decor behind couch?
giaksch
Color!!!!! Either via paint on the well or a large colorful painting!
    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 8:41PM
I'd get two or three large art pieces for over the sofa. Add a tray to the ottoman for your drinks and a pretty color toss blanket. The little shelves are too small for the scale of the sofa. So, add a bunch of family photo collage there with the shelves. Adding art with photos looks quite nice!

2 Likes    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 9:22PM
To add different height to the space, how about a pretty and comfy accent chair in the corner where the photo collage will be?

1 Like    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 9:24PM
Linda Summers Interiors + Landscape Design
I would do an area rung under the sectional in colors - like big geometric or organic shapes. Then take your color cues from that, adding pillows, and a painting that works with it like a very minimalist like a Franz Kline print. Please don't do all the pillows all matchy-matchy. Do a couple slightly lighter or darker than the colors in the rug. Tall plant behind sofa is good. Family photos in an area like this is not cool. I would save those for your study, bedroom, other less public places. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 10:11PM
Kimball Starr Interior Design
Definitely your on the rght track with adding a coffee table, doing a collage of pictures, and I'd break up the large expanse of grey sofa with some throw pillows that have varying patterns and colors. And of course a plant on the side or a beautiful orchid on the coffee table are all great options.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 10:22PM
mveasey
Have a look at this design dilemma a while back...perhaps you have a similar taste and can pull ideas from peoples suggestions?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 10:47PM
Suzanne Powers
M1orozco you have a good looking sectional and beautiful wood floors, a great start. Think large for art because your furniture is large in scale and there is a lot of blank wall space unless you want to do a grouping of smaller sized art.

You have a large ottoman that appears to have storage for magazines, games etc., there doesn't appear to be space for a coffee table. The ottoman can serve double duty, when you have guests drinks and snacks can be served from a tray using the ottoman.

So far there are three colors in your living space, the main color light grey and accent colors of dark brown (floors), burgundy print and white walls. It would be nice to add a third and maybe a fourth. The general rule is to spread your colors throughout the space.

It isn't necessary to paint the wall unless you want to, color can be added with pillows and whatever art you decide to put on the wall. I would not use the print pillows because the design will "fight" with art on the wall unless it is black and white photography.

A comfortable chair in brown leather or a subtle print or tweed using main and/or accent colors would go with the grey sectional and brown stained wood floor. Dark brown wood side tables or silver toned metal would go well with the grey sectional and floor.

Here is a photography print from my art gallery that comes in small and large sizes. I recommend a canvas or acrylic print without a frame giving a contemporary look and add purple pillows for a great look.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:16PM
kevms
I'm not even sure why people are offering advice Snr Orozco. The pics dont tell the scale of the room at all, I don't know what i'm looking at. Seems like a huge sofa, but....I did that in a small TV room in my lower level and it works so, IDK??
    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:24PM
kevms
Is that a robot in the corner?
    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:27PM
I drew up an idea based on my original comment.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:42PM
I just uploaded an idea for your living room. You wouldn't need that many pillows, but just to emphasize that you really need color.
    Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:57PM
LB Interiors
Add art and color and a rug. Throw pillows. Maybe replace ottoman with a chrome and glass top coffee table. A swivel barrel chair would be nice. Move ottoman away to act as more seating in the open area at the bottom of the photo.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 12:23AM
Suzanne Powers
Here is another image from my art gallery that would go with your grey sectional, add orange pillows for a warm bright look.

You can also put two large sizes of this image side by side over the sectional, filling the wall for a stunning effect.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 12:44AM
Murals and More Decor
What do you think of a solution similar to this one? Using a triptych to fill the space above the sofa, which also helps to break the wall space and hopefully balance out the sofa.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:29AM
dorsa abdi
I think you can use from gray color and a brush,you can paint some lines that they start from a point in the left of the wall and they have moving to up and right,you can start with dark gray and finish with light gray....it has a little money for you and it's your art,too...
    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 2:04AM
Need living room help please!
Hubby and I just moved into our retirement home in...
spotter48
Need Living Room layout help
My black thumb in gardening seems to have spread to...
cjillings
I need living room/Fireplace help!!
My husband and I bought our first home last year. We...
Jessica Hydeman
Also need living room help
Would be so grateful for help We have a living room...
docilana
Need living room help
We built our house (it's not completely finished yet)...
erin2013
Wanting a newer look
I want to change the colour and tile. Any suggestions...
lorifritz
new bedroom
I am lost!! Whats the best layout for this room to...
fozany
Living room floor
I ripped up carpets in my living room. But I'm having...
Rebecca Zingler
side table advice
Hi there! I'm looking for side tables that would blend...
Sarah
side table advice
Sarah