Need help with my living room/dining room/reading nook
kris1958
Need to put some finishing touches in these rooms. The round mirror will go over the buffet table. Any ideas what these rooms need to make them "pop"?
kris1958
Here's a picture of the dining room, cabinets flanking the fireplace, and a shelving unit
October 12, 2013 at 9:42am     
Get 2 more prints of what you have stack on wall only 3" between and hang 6" above sofa top. To left a big potted palm, in a cerimic pot in a silver. Get a rug with more color like teal, color wash. Ck overstock. 8x10.
October 12, 2013 at 9:43am      Thanked by kris1958
Put palm behind curve of sofa.
kris1958
Fireplace picture
October 12, 2013 at 9:44am     
Pull out rug from under sofa. Only 2 ft under. Add taller pots 3 in various size, and shape, mix up colors from prints on wall. Add tall pot in black and white chevon print or some geomatics design. To cabinet. On end.
October 12, 2013 at 9:47am      Thanked by kris1958
Add a sunburst mirror 45" over cabinet hang 8" above it.
October 12, 2013 at 9:48am      Thanked by kris1958
Pam Tiberia
pillows to pick up the orange in the paintings - some sort of pattern would help break up the couch. Also... crown moulding to help give some architectural interest to the room...
October 12, 2013 at 9:50am      Thanked by kris1958
Instead of mirror over cabinet. Just add tall pots. And on big wall in dining area a 6x6 ft oil. In bold colors contemporary . Pillows change to teal print. Yours too casual. Take colors from prints, for pillow color get a few mix it up. Rug is fine. Don't change after all love your place good job. Not sure about rack. Might take things away. Or move that to big dining wall. Add palm to right of it. Put cabinet in its place with big sunburst mirror. This might work better. Try it.
October 12, 2013 at 9:56am      Thanked by kris1958
kris1958
Pam-would you have an idea of what type of pattern for the pillows? I'm having a hard time finding some that don't clash with the prints.
October 12, 2013 at 10:00am   
mousemaker
I like your room uncluttered and peaceful :) the only change I would make is to get a better shelf unit for your valuables. it's kind of spindly looking (sorry).. I agree that some art would be nice, although you need to pick art that is livable and it should mean something to you.
October 12, 2013 at 10:12am      Thanked by kris1958
kris1958
Just bought the shelving unit at Crate & Barrel. It is so heavy that it is hard to move! We actually picked this one because it had smaller lines and didn't dominate the room. It's a small area beside the sofa, but from the picture it does look a little bit "spindly".
October 13, 2013 at 8:54am   
leelee
Get some sliders so you can move it more easily. Try it where the chair is back in the corner near the window. Bring the chair over to be part of the conversation group with the sofa.
October 13, 2013 at 9:00am      Thanked by kris1958
leelee
Move your pictures down so there's at most 6 inches of wall between bottom of pics and top of sofa.
October 13, 2013 at 9:01am      Thanked by kris1958
Don't worry about print on pillows. And yr prints in art. Just use colors from them mix up for interest.
Put your shelves in corner where great chair is. Move chair next to sofa. Add a plant by window.
October 13, 2013 at 9:03am      Thanked by kris1958
leelee
Add a floor lamp on the near side of the sofa. Or the sort of lamp that arcs over the sofa from behind.
October 13, 2013 at 9:05am     
Sustainable Dwellings
I like it! I would sink the money in the mirror, though, you can do better.
October 13, 2013 at 9:06am   
etetrit2
I agree with lee lee
October 13, 2013 at 9:06am     
leelee
Can't tell if you have room to pull the dining table away from the wall and scoot the buffet down so the dining area is more defined. The buffet, where it is, just looks like a wall filler.
October 13, 2013 at 9:09am   
leelee
Replace the buffet with a palm tree.
October 13, 2013 at 9:14am   
Genevieve
For the wall facing the dining table

October 13, 2013 at 9:20am        Thanked by kris1958
Debp
What a beautiful room. You have done a great job. I would leave your shelf where it is. Just a couple of thoughts.

Your pictures are a bit high and far apart over the couch. Is there room to move your dining room table away from the wall and move the buffet to that area? If not, would it be possible to move it down a bit? I would like to see a turquoise chair as part of the seating area in its place. Not sitting against the wall of course, but front legs on rug position.
October 13, 2013 at 9:27am        Thanked by kris1958
HI -- Love what you have so far ! Yes move your two pictures down a bit and closer together and a little more over to the left . On the right lounge end of the sofa an Arco type floor lamp with a black marble block base and the chrome rod and bubble shade would be the perfect touch . Your table lamp is nice but a much bigger lamp might be better. Add about three more cushions on the sofa - stronger colors and one of them being maybe a black fur (faux ) for fun . Putting a round mirror over the buffet cabinet is a good move - just make sure it's going to be big enough and hung low . You have room on the dining room wall for a very large modern painting with a fine edge frame or no frame -- more artsy . Your entertainment /fireplace wall -- I would paint that a dark color that exact matches the color of the built in cabinets . Add some small LED lighting (in the cabinets ) or above that wall . You could paint a color inside the cabinets (teal ?) or back them in black mirror . Then wispy full (off ?) white semi-sheer drapes (ripple top) - hung ceiling to floor and wall to wall. The area where the lounge chair is could have a photo mural in black and white for interest -- actually I can picture your whole room in a fine textured grass cloth wallpaper or paper with a linen texture . I hope that gives you some ideas that you might like ! PS: Check out Restoration Hardware : - look at the mirrors !
October 13, 2013 at 9:28am      Thanked by kris1958
Debp
I see there is some orange(?) in your art. You could bring a bit of that into the room - maybe in a couple of accessories or in the print on a pillow. Maybe a throw on the chair in the corner.
October 13, 2013 at 9:29am        Thanked by kris1958
etetrit2
I love everything but put some colour into it.
October 13, 2013 at 1:06pm      Thanked by kris1958
Jeannie Peter
Paint a wall.
October 13, 2013 at 2:07pm      Thanked by kris1958
Mimi Branham
You have a great start! Spice it up with some decorative pillows and try branching away from blue. Maybe some light orange? Even some navy and white accents would be nice since you have a nautical thing going. I agree with a potted plant behind the curve of the couch. Bring the 2 pics above the couch closer together then flank them with sconces, electric or just decorative.
October 13, 2013 at 2:20pm      Thanked by kris1958
kris1958
Thank you all for your help. Debbie- the dining room table isn't able to be moved too much. We have a counter with stools on the left side, and not too much room on the right side. We are planning on getting a large canvas, about 50" x 40" in the dining room. Should I buy 1 or 2 buffet lamps for the buffet table? What else next to the lamps? I'm looking for a few more pillows for the sofa also. It needs some copying up!
October 13, 2013 at 6:46pm   
kris1958
How about if we paint the wall in the reading nook area w the brown chair? The wall with the window on the left if looking at the chair.
October 13, 2013 at 6:49pm   
Ann
I like it all. Please don't add or change much. I wouldn't add lamps to the buffet - they'll compete with the nice lamp that is next to the sectional. I like the idea of a simple arc lamp at the curved end of the sofa. I'd remove one item from the built ins on the right side of the fireplace and move to the left side - looks a bit off balance. I'd lower the sofa art just about 2 more inches and move about 3 inches closer together (which will be more space between than is typical, but I think it will look just right). So, tiny changes, don't mess with success.
October 13, 2013 at 7:04pm      Thanked by kris1958
Ann
Oh, and I like your idea of that one accent wall behind the brown chair to the right of the window wall - maybe a medium brown.
October 13, 2013 at 7:06pm      Thanked by kris1958
Since you don't have a dining chandy, I'd put the buffet under the window and pull the table toward the living space. Agree with bringing the large chair to the living room and putting the shelf unit in its place. You might add a smaller chair and make that a reading nook.
October 13, 2013 at 7:21pm   
Pam Tiberia
orang pillows to consider... two with texture, one with pattern. Surya.com
Hope this helps!
October 14, 2013 at 5:09am      Thanked by kris1958
Pam Tiberia
or this one....
October 14, 2013 at 5:10am      Thanked by kris1958
shelly05
Can you get a area rug that has more color and design to it?
March 23, 2014 at 5:49am   
Need help with this living room/dining room/ reading area
Any ideas of what I can do to finish these rooms and...
Need help for my living room/dining room
Hi Houzz family! Okay, so I have been in my apartment...
Need Help for my living room/dining room combo
I'm looking for 2 area rugs for my sofa and dining...
Need paint help with my living room/dining room combo
Hi all! We desperately need your help. When you come...
Need help with my narrow living room/dining room
Our house has a narrow living room / dining room. How...
Unfinished living room
Is a shame to say this but for some reason or another...
Backyard deck
What material would you recommend for a deck? Pros...
Kitchen Help
We purchased a home in Arizona with a kitchen that...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...