Curtains, blinds or shutters??
Sharon Willard Kairuz
We are in the process of renovating our home on quite a large scale. We overlook a river with a spectacular view but unfortunately we are also exposed to strong easterly winds. This proved to be disastrous in the original home as far as curtaining was concerned...my curtains were covered in mildew which was impossible to remove, no matter how long I soaked them and treated them. I am over the heavy drapes stage so would like any input on what do do re window dressing in the new home. Shutters are incredibly expensive I our country so they can be used but kept to a minimum. Any advise would be most welcome.
If your home is being renovated, are you changing out the windows? New window technology means that most windows are virtually hermetically sealed which means no mildew.

If that is the case and your protection against wind and other elements is assured, then nothing if you have a spectacular view.

Blinds have a more modern take, whereas curtains can create a more cosy (or formal) atmosphere...
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 11:47PM
Fred S
Even new windows only have an R-value of 15-25% of the surrounding walls. Add this to a good chilling wind and you get condensation from the interior environment no matter how well a window is sealed. The warmer air in the rest of the house can hold more moisture, but as soon as it comes in contact with the window, it cools down and deposits moisture on the curtains. The first two things to look for in lessening this problem are making sure furnace registers/grills are not blowing warm moist air behind the curtains and putting humidity controls in your HVAC system. Something as easy as putting an automatic humidity controlled switch on the bathroom exhaust fans may fix the problem.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 3:23AM
It seems that windows i tegrate some kind of shutter and blind/curtain
The windows look like thy have integrated blind and...
businesseurope
Big windows! What to put up? Blinds, curtains , shutters.
We have very large windows at the end of our kitchen...
kimmyrb
Can't decide on shutters vs blinds vs curtains
We like how plantation shutters look, but our inside...
jstclair23
Roman blinds, timber shutters, roller blinds.... help!
I have just renovated a two bed + study apartment in...
virginiaford
Kitchen Nook
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Wallpaper or paint?
All these decorations will be removed anyway. So,...
zangiex3
"Remodeling My Bedroom....Help!"
I am remodeling my bedroom and I have painted my walls...
fherag21
rredpenn