Kitchen Layout
nikkimacguin
Please help with our new kitchen layout. Looks like we will need a one wall kitchen with an island. Is it a bad idea to put the sink in the island?
Appreciate any other ideas regarding a better layout..
Karin Madgwick
Moe info and photos needed.
2 Likes   Thanked by nikkimacguin    October 13, 2013 at 3:19AM
Agreed , photos and a floor plan would be great.
1 Like   Thanked by nikkimacguin    October 13, 2013 at 4:58AM
dclostboy
In general, not a "bad" idea to put sink in island. Depends much on the rest of the layout, the "work triangle" and the difficulty of relocating plumbing.
1 Like   Thanked by nikkimacguin    October 13, 2013 at 5:16AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
The sink works very well on the island. The island should be at least 42" wide and preferably wider so that there is plenty of room for a seating area across from the sink.

The dishwasher should be next to the sink.

Since the rest of your kitchen is on the wall behind the island, hopefully you have enough room for the refrigerator (36") , the stove and oven combined (30" to 36") and counter space on either side of the stove ( 36" or more) and a pull out pantry (18" to 24")

The total for that back wall is a minimum of 10' but better if it is 11 or 12 feet long......
1 Like   Thanked by nikkimacguin    October 13, 2013 at 5:35AM
nikkimacguin
Attached kitchen layout - the length of the back wall is about 16 feet. Would it be better to locate the fridge & pantry press by the door to the utility or the door towards the garden? We also have the option of putting more cabinets in the corner behind the breakfast bar but not sure if this is a good idea?
0 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 10:11AM
Capitol Group Kitchen and Bath Center
Great kitchen. I would start with a tall pantry cabinet then the refrigerator so the refrigerator doors open all the way.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 2:14PM
nikkimacguin
Does anyone have any pictures of similar kitchen layouts? I'm looking for some inspiration on the layout of cabinets. Thanks in advance :)
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 11:22PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Your island could actually be a little bit longer then what you are showing. The open spaces on either side can be approximately 1200 mm to 1300 mm....
Also, as was was mentioned above, do not put the refrigerator up against a wall or the doors will not open all the way. Put a pantry next to the wall and the refrigerator next to the pantry.

I am attaching a few photos that I found on line that are nice examples. I don't have any in our portfolio that are that similar to your design.........
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 11:53PM
Debp
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 12:26AM
Pacific Coast Custom Design
The sink in the island is the way to go here. As Lampert Dias mentioned above, your island can be larger than drawn. I prefer the sink and the breakfast bar at the same height as pictured above, but some people like to step the bar side up to protect it from the sink. It is an option. You can put the pantry and refrigerator on either side of the wall or even split them up and flank the wall as long as the refrigerator door can open. I would take the opportunity for more storage or display and put a cabinet on the wall behind the breakfast bar. Consider using a shallower cabinet there like 17" deep. It could be like a "china" cabinet display piece or more pantry storage if needed.
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 8:51AM
cynamonc
I would reconsider the placement of your table, it will prove to be a problem for traffic flow between kitchen and chill area.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 9:11AM
nikkimacguin
Thanks for all your comments much appreciated. We are very limited as to where we can put the dining table, any alternative suggestions?
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 10:55AM
careclare
Looks like an abundance of floor space for the kitchen, but tough to get three areas out of basic L-shaped space. Have you thought about angling the island (perpendicular to the patio door) and make a triangle out of the lion's share of the kitchen? Might free up some floor space for a better table placement closer to the kitchen, opening more space for "chill" area. Also gives easy access to the wall for frig and more cabinetry. I would recommend against a longer island...makes it awkward getting in and around. Frig could go to the left of your doorway to the utility room. Then ovens could go on the short exterior wall, and pantry space could go to the right of the utility room door.
2 Likes   Thanked by nikkimacguin    October 15, 2013 at 1:05PM
Seating Innovations
More kitchen photos with sinks in islands.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 1:53PM
cynamonc
I have been thinking about your layout and maybe if you move your island down closer to the utility room, then you would have room for a table in the area where there is a club chair now. Possible put a table in the nook with a built in bench seat on one side so that you will have more traffic flow through the french doors on the other side of the table, and improve the flow from kitchen to chill area.

0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 8:17AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Brilliant idea.... And you could turn the island the other direction and let it extend out into the space where you originally had your table.....
1 Like   October 18, 2013 at 8:30AM
cynamonc
How about an island that also has a table attached like in this photo on houzz.
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 9:33PM
nikkimacguin
Do you think it would work putting cream porcelain tiles in the kitchen area and wooden floors in the dining/living area? Where would be the best place to tile as far as in the kitchenb?
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 9:51AM
Maintenance of barn metal
I am redecorating my bathroom. I really like the barn...
bjw1958
Need advise for buying comfortable stylish chairs
I am in a dilemma over designing the small living room...
mydesignworld
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
Faucet finishes
I will have two sinks in our new kitchen, one copper...
Laura Glaser Harrington