Kitchen advise please...
Michelle Liew
Hi all, need some advice here. What can I do to brighten up this kitchen, without making any changes to the kitchen cabinets? Am on a very small budget.
Introduce as much white or cream or light colour as you wish.
For example - a kitchen rug/carpet; either add frosted film to the cabinets or add wallpaper behind them (the wood backing needs to be broken up) , replace your picture frames with prints in light colours. Even your tea towels! Can you change your chairs for stainless steel to echo the fridge? Also hide the elements in red, and replace them with cream. All these visual cues will add up to lightening the room without great expense and a pretty quick effect for the yay or nay. Best of luck.
October 13, 2013 at 4:02am     
R. Rodgers Contracting
LED rope lighting would look incredible. I would lay it along the top of your cabinets to serve as "up" lighting. Installing an outlet above the cabinets ( there might be one there already... some builders install them knowing that most people plug lighting in up top) as well as a dimmer switch to control intensity. Possibly a small section of track lighting directed at nice details of your kitchen... also on a dimmer. If that blows budget concerns, paint colors as well as furnishings will be your best option, as mentioned above by ASV interiors.
October 13, 2013 at 4:23am   
giaksch
Aside from the other comments for lasting effect, I think simply putting a light/bright tablecloth over your table will help a lot on a day to day basis
October 13, 2013 at 4:38am   
dclostboy
Change the color on the walls to something creamier...echo paint on table apron and legs.
October 13, 2013 at 4:44am   
bordercolliesrule
Bring in some light accents such as, paint the walls, white candles and a pale accent color.
October 13, 2013 at 4:48am   
This is a rather nice kitchen. Agreed with changing the color on the walls to provide some contrast.
October 13, 2013 at 4:54am   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Your kitchen is wonderful.... I agree with everyone else that painting the walls white will help. The table and chairs are another opportunity to brighten things up. Paint them a cheerful color or purchase new dining furniture from a company like pottery barn. Also replace your small island with a painted island.
October 13, 2013 at 6:00am   
I think there is consensus that this is a lovely kitchen that is just a little too monochromatic. A light, contrasting wall color (I'd pick off white), a light rug under the kitchen table, and if you like tablecloths, a light tablecloth. No big changes are needed, just tweaks.
October 13, 2013 at 6:09am   
Michelle Liew
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Will start paint shopping ;)
October 13, 2013 at 6:31am   
neitz
Light-filtering roman shades could add color and off-set the hardness of the wood and steel. A table runner is another way to lighten the feel of the room.
October 13, 2013 at 9:14am   
mrp55
Gorgeous kitchen! Maybe paint or whitewash the bottom part of the table and leave the top natural. I also agree with painting the walls a lighter color.
October 13, 2013 at 9:19am   
P.S. I like your kitchen table and chairs just as they are. The problem of the uniformity of wood tones will be solved by a rug and some accessories.
October 13, 2013 at 9:24am   
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
How to refinish mid-mod cradenza?
Found this mid-century piece on Craigslist. It's nice,...
Redecorating new rental
I am beginning to redecorate my new rental and don't...
What color should we paint our two front double doors?
The shutters and double doors are now black. We would...
We've decided on a slipcover sofa. Now, we need to...