Need help for kitchen/living/dining area
sddaly
Hi everyone,

Hoping that you can help. My Kitchen/living/dining area is square and quite brown. I want to add colour, bring more light in and make the most of the space. Ian have some ideas from browsing the photo gallery on houzz, but would really appreciate your ideas before I proceed.
Sustainable Dwellings
I would add dramatic overhead light... pendant, or fair-size chandelier(casual style). Make sure you have under-cabinet lighting as well, and in those glass cabinets.. Put articles of interest on top of the cabinets... add COLOR there... Put a focal piece of art above window, then a simple valance.... nice space, well defined.
October 13, 2013 at 8:07am     
GC Quality Services Corp.
could you get more of the same cabinet satin crown molding? if you continue the crown molding and add a balance over the window, that will make look your kitchen more bigger and the wood will flow better. under that balance you can have an spot light lighting the sink.
maybe a glass and travertine backsplash, if you add some undercabinets lights, thoses will make shine the glass on the backsplash
October 13, 2013 at 8:14am   
Merry Powell Interiors
You have a lovely space! To add color, the easiest and most obvious solution is to paint. Before you choose a color, go look at fabrics for window treatments in both the kitchen and dining areas. Be sure to hang treatments so that they do not cover much, if any, glass. You might also consider reupholstering your chairs in something you find more appealing. Is that a window seat in the kitchen? If so, add a few colorful pillows and cushion. Pull a color from your fabric to use on the walls. To brighten, add pendant lights over the island and perhaps a hanging fixture over the table. Look for something artsy-perhaps with colorful blown glass shades, especially for the pendants. You also have a design opportunity by adding a backsplash. But go for interesting texture here and not so much color. You might look at glass or metal tile to add some light reflectivity.
I think your space is lovely in the current shades of neutral. It just needs some warmth, which can be accomplished with fabrics.
October 13, 2013 at 8:17am     
sstarr
If it were my kitchen, I would remove the two upper cabinets on either side of the kitchen window, as that is a dated look.
I would also remove the crown moulding from the tops of the cabinets.
You already have light walls and a light floor; don't add more dark details, and don't remove light by covering windows.
October 13, 2013 at 8:23am     
sddaly
Oh wow! Thanks everyone... So so much... I would never have seen some of the things that you have pinpointed.

I have already got the cabinet and under cabinet lighting, it was turned off when I took the earlier shots. I totally get the suggestion to remove the cabinets etc near the window but would prefer not too just yet... I am back pocketing that for next year! I will add some items on top of the cabinets, and the artwork that you suggested too in the meantime.

The window seat I had in mind was for the living room area, instead of the two seater. Would that look better than the two piece, with colourful cushions, and if so should I add a built I cabinet for the tv (right beside it) in the same painted wood colour as the window seat? Also should I put curtains either side of the window seat if I opt to go with that, or stick just with colourful roman blinds?

I will look into fixtures for lights and have already started the fabric hunt for curtains/roman blinds/ cushions etc.

Also, what colour would you recommend to accessorise the room with?
October 13, 2013 at 1:08pm   
sddaly

October 13, 2013 at 1:14pm   
sddaly

October 13, 2013 at 1:40pm   
Galilee Lighting
The space is modern and beautiful! a touch of color will definitely add a lot to the space. here are some ideas for chandeliers and wall art from our collection.
for more styles you can visit www.GALILEELIGHTING.com
to receive our detailed catalog by email contact us Sales@GalileeLighting.com
October 13, 2013 at 7:06pm   
Need dining room help!
Small 50's ranch home in the country. Dining room adjoins...
Help for a creative driveway for my apt. Building 60's building
Building color is bright orange with second yellow...
New House Needs Some Curb Appeal
Hi, I just bought my new house and am so excited! I...
Why should you be using stones in interiors
Http://www.bonito.in/2014/why-should-you-be-using-stones-in-interiors-what-are-the-variety-available/ Stones...
How to plan a perfect bathroom layout?
Http://www.bonito.in/2014/how-to-plan-a-perfect-bathroom-layout/ How...