Kitchen Dilemma!!
lisa71775
My husband & I just had new dark floors put in on our main level. I decided to lighten the walls up in our family room & kitchen with Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore. I know this is a very popular color, but I'm just not sure that I'm liking it in either room, especially my kitchen. Maybe it just doesn't go good with my kitchen cabinets? I'm trying to decide if I should go with a whole new paint color? If so, what color? If I stay with this color, I really need some help picking out some colors and accessories (curtains, rugs, etc...) to go with it. Also, I have no idea what color granite countertops, or backsplash to go with. Any help would be appreciated, I have no idea what I'm doing! Thanks!
nicoledewey
Once you change the countertops, I suspect you will like the paint color. I see either a really light granite with grey in it or else a really dark granite with grey and the color of your cabinets mixed in. I can not see the color of your floor so I am not sure which I would choose. Hope that helps.
October 13, 2013 at 8:49am   
Sustainable Dwellings
Nothing wrong with the counters with the builder's grade cabinets...but, if you want quartz or granite, go for it. Do I see dark vinyl floors?? You need something in the awkward corner with the windows. De-clutter, then stand back and look at what you've got, then scroll through the ideabooks on this site, keeping a reality based mindset.
October 13, 2013 at 8:54am   
DMH DESIGN
Well, the kitchen floor and cabinetry, to me, appear to have a lot of red in them. Perhaps it is the image? The wall color in the picture with the refer tooks gray to me, but light blue in the first pic? My though is that something in the range of a BM Stuart Gold may work well. Again, I am not entirely certain that is the right hue, but I think it may be going in the right direction. Countertop wise, it depends what your taste is. Quartz seems to be all the rage, in terms of maintenance and value these days, according to posts and e-how articles I have read. I know you have some options in terms of colors, and I would suggest Sierra Quartz, as it is warm and fairly neutral-- something other than, as I believe it would go better with your cabinets and wall color much better. Happy Houzzing.
October 13, 2013 at 8:54am   
lisa71775
Thanks! This other pic shows a little more of the floor, & here is another pic of the floor, its from my family room that has the same paint color too.
October 13, 2013 at 9:05am   
lisa71775
The flooring is laminate (to look like hand scrapped wood floors). Not really loving them, but I didn't want to spend the money on wood.. since I'm hoping we will be moving soon!
October 13, 2013 at 9:12am   
DeCocco Drapes
The problem is that you've got a lot of warm tones (cabinets, floor and counters) and then a very cool tone on the wall. Counters that have a mix of the two tones will tie everything together, so don't choose a solid color counter. Select something with a mix of tones. It will look great, plus will throw some pattern into the space (currently all solid).
October 13, 2013 at 3:07pm     
lisa71775
Yes, I agree! I think part of the reason I'm not liking the new paint color is because it seems to clash with the warmth of everything else in the kitchen. I originally had a darker beige in the kitchen, but wanted to lighten it up, so I went with the Revere Pewter. Do you think the kitchen would look better painted a beige? Here is a picture of the color we had before.
October 13, 2013 at 8:12pm   
Amy Wax
I agree there is a lot of warmth in your cabinetry. I would suggest two things. First of all I would try a lighter shade like Vellum or Barley or Golden Lab. There are all lighter Benjamin Moore colors and would bring out the natural colors in your cabinetry and counter top. Secondly and perhaps more importantly, get large pieces of poster board, from the art supply store or sometimes the drug store, and try your samples on the full board before changing anything. Use up the paint.. the larger the sample the better you get to see it and the more confident you will be with your decision. Think warm colors, I wish you the best!
October 13, 2013 at 8:51pm   
Glass Tile Store
Agreeing with DeCocco Drapes. One solution i see is to add a backsplash that ties in the cool and warm tones.
October 14, 2013 at 1:11pm   
lisa71775
Thanks everyone! I will check out all these suggestions!
I'm still trying to figure out a color for curtains for our sliding door & above the sink, and also a color for a rug for under the kitchen table. Any suggestions for that?
October 14, 2013 at 8:16pm   
kitchen paint dilemma
Need to paint cabinets (blue/gray on bottom). Upper...
BIG DILEMMA!!! Need help removing mosaic backsplash in kitchen.
So, my mother decided to take on a big project she...
Kitchen Dilemma
Building a new home. The design shows a door in the...
Kitchen lighting dilemma!!!
Remodeling kitchen and can't put in canned lights on...
Kitchen backsplash dilemma
This is a photo of the kitchen in my guest house. ...
remodeled kitchen
My wife and I just remodeled our kitchen. it was our...
Pillow fabric?
Can anyone tell me the name of this pillow fabric?...
Living room lighting
Hello there! I am trying to figure out the best way...
Need help to hide this mistake !
Hi, I need an idea to hide this gutter downspout...
Color for living room
In my large light Edwardian that I'm restoring in a...