OLLD 10/14
mefor
October 14, 2013 in Other
We're baaaaaaaaack!!!!
Hi everyone, hope you'll stop in and say hello. Missed all of you and waiting to hear some news. It's a lovely Monday morning. :)
mefor
Hey kimdee, good morning and glad to start the comments this morning. That's my old friend Scruffy, she's not here anymore, but she was my little half tame sweetie. :)
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 5:21AM
armygirl1987
Good Monday morning Michelle and anyone else that check in today. Off for Columbus and today will be spent at the library due to a huge test tomorrow. Stay bless all. Hope you hanging in there STK. Roo-if you check in today hello. Hope the weather is holding out for you Linda. Jayme-miss you and hope all is well.
1 Like   Thanked by mefor    October 14, 2013 at 6:16AM
kimdee24
Good morning Michele and Angela, Happy Thanksgiving! Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Gobble, gobble!

Scruffy! ... I love the deer. Mind you, they aren't eating my plants. But I see a lot of them on the golf course and it's so cool they are there. Often we'll come on to a fairway and see a couple of them hanging out and snacking on the fescue grass. I love their big ears and how they listen to us when we talk to them as we pass by.
2 Likes   Thanked by mefor    October 14, 2013 at 8:03AM
mefor
What are your plans today kimdee? Anything special for the holiday? I'm assuming it's not football like Americans like to watch and then nap after eating too much turkey, lol.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 8:10AM
kimdee24
It's pretty much the same holiday as US Thanksgiving, except we do it in October. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry, pumpkin pie, the whole nine yards, and football too. There is a CFL game today, Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs Montreal Alouettes. My plans this year are a lot less complicated, since my brother and gf went to the lake. I may just go and play the slots for a while with my mom and stepdad and grab a quick bite.
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:26AM
mefor
That sounds like a nice day, no worries, overeating or family fights, hahaha.
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:29AM
armygirl1987
I went to visit my aunt in Mississauga Kimdee back in 2011 for a wedding and was able to enjoy the Thanksgiving celebration, first time that I knew that there was a difference. Hopefully will be able to visit her soon, she played a huge part in my teenage years in that I lived with her in Jamaica.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 8:30AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Morning ladies...........hanging in there, but rather pissed at my Ortho right now. Have been trying to get in touch with them since last Wednesday to discuss where we're headed and what I need to do if anything and haven't heard a word from them.

Got to work on the front porch some this weekend....well Lisa did, I sat and supervised. We got the majority of the pavers down, still need to finish out the field with the cut pieces (a dozen or so). Then we can do one more coat of stain and seal them with the first coat. Once that is done we can cut and install the riser tile (travertine) and then the final sealer coat......then we can move on to the next project.

Michele, we had one of those "pets" at the old farm house we leased in MS while Lisa was in Law School. Behind the house was nothing but woods that dropped off into a deep ravine with a creek at the bottom and she and a few more lived down there. She started showing up most evenings, then the mornings and before we left she and her fawns would hang out most of the day in the yard between the house and the old barn that was a grove of English Walnut and Pecan trees. As she became more accustomed to our presence, I think she actually relished the down time from being a mama......the fawns would follow us all around the yard and into the barn with curiosity with what ever I was doing or working on.....mama just snoozed in the shade. One evening I was under my truck working on replacing the starter motor when I felt this tugging on my pants leg only to see this fawn trying to pull me out from under the truck by my pants leg. Finally, giving up, it just laid down and watched me for the next hour........when I finally crawled out from under the truck, it actually acted excited that I was okay..........

funny thing, during hunting season, we might have 4-6 does out there in the yard with their young from that season.....I can only surmise that they felt safe and protected there between the house and the barn behind the fence......the buck rarely came up and even then it was just to the edge of the woods.

It was always a peaceful experience with them hanging around.... but I drew the line when it came to my tea or my beer........one of the fawns took a liking to my beer which was fun while he was a fawn, but when he became a yearling he could get rather obnoxious about his sips. ..... I think he was on his way to a serious drinking problem.
4 Likes   Thanked by mefor    October 14, 2013 at 8:31AM
kimdee24
Did you notice any difference between Thanksgiving here vs there, Angela? Aside from the date difference?
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 8:32AM
kimdee24
Awww... great stories about the fawns, STK! For all the does and fawns I've seen at the course, I've rarely seen a buck. In fact, I think this year was the first time I've ever seen one, and I don't think he was very old, but definitely had a good set of antlers.

I did see a moose once, on my way to golf. I came around a corner on a paved, yet country road, and there it was, standing in the road blocking my way. I said to myself, "Okay.... well one of us is going to have to move -- and I'm pretty sure it's going to have to be you...!" And it looked at me for a second, and then bounded (crashed) off into the trees.... good thing I wasn't coming around the corner in a hurry or it would have been in my lap.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 8:38AM
mefor
Hahaha, STK, I know exactly what you mean, I was always the babysitter, she loved to leave the baby with me when they were tiny so she go off and eat. Her babies were always the biggest, hmmmm, I wonder why? She used to try to put her snout in my jacket pocket to see if there were any more peanuts or oatmeal raisin cookies. She was born the year I moved here, so she really knew me all her life. The others are all comfortable around us and the house, but she was the only one I tamed enough to hand feed. She even let me take sticker weeds off her head and neck, and once I took out a gigantic iron nail that was sticking out of her neck. I called her Frankenstein that day. :)
Hope that ortho gets back to you. I'm surprised he'd keep you waiting like this, it's rather an extreme case, I'd think he might try to appreciate that, or perhaps I hope he might.
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:39AM
jen046
Morning Ladies...and Gentleman! I thought I had done a Rip Van Winkle with the talk of Thanksgiving! I didn't know Canada had one, and I live less than two hours from the BC border.

Happy day to everyone!
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 8:44AM
armygirl1987
Not at all Kimdee, family getting together to eat and in Jamaican houses there is always Jamaican food. We did not grow up celebrating Thanksgiving in Jamaica because I guess they didn't make the pilgrimage to the island. So what I was trying to say was that the similarities is there. Hi Jen, good to see you.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 8:54AM
kimdee24
Yep, in the end that's what it's all about, eating with your family. I wish I had a big family to eat with on Thanksgiving...I like years when my stepfamily comes, and the kids are there, etc., it's a lot of work though, cook all day and dinner takes fifteen minutes! So exhausting when it's all over.
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:58AM
armygirl1987
So true Kimdee but do you think it is worth it?
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 8:59AM
mousemaker
i'm still hanging on to summer :(
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 9:00AM
armygirl1987
Move to FL mouse.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 9:00AM
mefor
Me too mousy!!! I live for the summer, I try to enjoy the other seasons, and I do, but summer should stretch for a long time. :)
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 9:14AM
mefor
Hi Jen :)
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 9:15AM
mefor
Here's one of the babies
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 10:05AM
mefor
Mousy, wow that's an angry, glowering feline!!!! Are you ok?what happened to the sweet Beatrix Potter pic?
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 10:08AM
mousemaker
over the weekend some drunks pushed over a new tree planted on our terrace. so I am in fighting mode :) thanks for asking..sorry about the kitty :)
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 10:59AM
mefor
Gee whiz, mouse!!! Was it guys from pseudo frat house? Or someone else, or the "could be anyone" crowd? Landlord wouldn't be vindictive because you called police in the past, would he? What an awful shame.some people just don't have any proper upbringing. That's just terrible, I'm very sorry that it happened to you. You're supposed to be rewarded for keeping up the standards in the neighborhood, not arbitrarily punished. Grrrrrrr
I totally understand mean kitty now. :)
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 11:27AM
Linda
Hello all - Just checking in before I go drag my partner out of the house. He's been ill for a few days but I told him to needs to go out this afternoon for a short while especially since it is a beautiful fall day - crisp and clear. We had a frost warning last night but didn't get cold enough so my garden gets a brief reprieve
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 11:49AM
mefor
That's good that you take care of him Linda, plus it might be easier to deal with him in his weakened state. Smart girl, ;)
My garden at beach is holding up, not as cold there as it gets here. Not until later. Hubby and son planted a couple hundred more daffodil bulbs this weekend. I hope the spring show is spectacular. A lot of work went into it.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 11:55AM
mousemaker
took out most of my garden this morning..it's a sad sad thing :)
thanks Mforr..it wasn't the frat house :) It was Pub Crawlers. I posted a picture on the other thread. I talked to the city forestry dept. today and he said they are going to replace it.
i'm still upset though. they have done it other places where trees were planted to make things look better.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 12:09PM
mousemaker
Linda, we had frost warnings too..i guess I have to g ive up on summer :)
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 12:10PM
mefor
It's good that they'll replace it. Nothing brings a neighborhood down like the lack of trees. The street where I grew up had trees when we first moved in, but after storms and apparent rampant stupidity, many were taken down over the years. By the time I was in high school, there went trees for nearly 3/4 mile. It was dirty and dusty looking all the time. No shade, no leaves, hardly any wildlife, because not many of the lots had trees either. By the time we got my mom to sell her house and follow us here, there were a few little sticks of trees. I hope to goodness, they're bigger now.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 12:14PM
mousemaker
that's really sad...I just can't understand property damage as a thing to do, you know?
we used to have a lot more trees on our street but they have either been taken out to make room for the new sewers or died of old age. This is why I asked for trees when they redid our street. In fact, they are planting tons of trees all over the city, it's just that these jerks push them over.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 12:24PM
Linda
We have quite a few maple trees in the parkway on our block, originally planted about 50 feet apart. Originally my house had two in front but the one directly in front of our house was taken down before we moved in. I know it was there because 25 years or more later, the rotting roots are still noticeable when I dig in that area.

Our city got a grant from ComEd to plant suitable trees in the area under electric lines. Usually homeowners have to pay for part of the cost of the trees but while the grant money is available, the city pays for all of the cost and plants the trees. Several of my neighbors have taken advantage of the program which is good as streets should have a variety of trees of differing stages of growth. I'm sure our street looked great about 40-50 years after the first planting (30 years ago) until disease and storms started to thin out the trees
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 12:58PM
mousemaker
that's wonderful. the more trees the better!!
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 1:50PM
2 Likes   Thanked by mefor    October 14, 2013 at 2:28PM
kimdee24
Lovely poem, Nas... thanks for sharing it!
1 Like   Thanked by mefor    October 14, 2013 at 2:33PM
mousemaker
very nice. I have the Poetry Fdn on m phone :)
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 2:40PM
mousemaker
here's my new problem :) too many plants in my dining room!! what to do what to do
I hope some of these live, but mostly they're my patio plants in the front so they may not make it. Even so :) I would like to figure out how to deal with this!! note to self : it's your own fault
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 2:45PM
mefor
I don't think that it's too many plants, even if it is, lol. What a gorgeous display, why not go with it and keep them happy, watered and misted sometimes. Plow and hearth do different configurations of these shelves, I think. You could move the whole display in and out seasonally. How beautiful. :) lucky mouse
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 2:59PM
mefor
Thank you for the poem nasmijati :)
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:00PM
armygirl1987
Those look so pretty Mouse can you donate them to a library or nursing home.
2 Likes   Thanked by mefor    October 14, 2013 at 3:02PM
mousemaker
you are too kind! after I posted I was sure I could see dust and it's mortifying :) not enough apparently to stop me from posting!!
I will check out the shelves.
1 Like   Thanked by mefor    October 14, 2013 at 3:02PM
mefor
I forgot the picture, where is my head? In the clouds, hahaha.
I like that they are a nice bronze brown color and they have raised edges. That rose is amazing :)
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:06PM
DIAspoton
love the deer pics and talk. thanks for sharing.

STK, that's terrible about your doctor. i wonder if it has anything to do with obamacare
madness keeping the office personnel swamped. i've been hearing horror stories.

happy thanksgiving KD and any other canadians seeing this. that was always a big holiday in my family. i have 7 siblings. the day always ended up with close to 30 people dining together. it was fun.

Mouse, any chance you could put some cameras out to catch these destructive peolpe in the act?

times been flying. did well at yard sales fri and sat. went to an outdoor event saturday evening.2 bands,fire eaters and other entertainers. a nighttime 5k race. fun.
my mini australian sheperd stayed with me last week while his other parents were away. he left sunday morning. i attended the atlanta operas performance of Tosca sunday afternoon. wonderful. contractors laying tile today.
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:36PM
armygirl1987
DIA- busy. Whew, tired just reading. Lol
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 3:48PM
mefor
I know Angela, Mo always leaves us in the dust, lol.
So busy!!! How did you make out with bath hardware?
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 4:11PM
armygirl1987
Michele- source for stand.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 5:58PM
mefor
Plow and hearth :)
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 6:01PM
armygirl1987
Thank you hon.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 6:59PM
jen046
I can't keep a cactus alive! I'm jealous!
2 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 7:45PM
DIAspoton
michele, bad news on the live edge counter. the gal sold it out from under me. we'd made the deal. she owed me money so i was only giving her part of the price in cash in order to settle up. we agreed i'd pick it up and pay as soon as another large item i purchased from her was ready to go. she sold my wood to someone else to get the extra cash. imagine my shock and anger. she's lost my business and many referrals. i've sent her alot of new customers and helped with mktg, merchandising, securing obscure rescources etc.
not anymore. i already told 2 of her better customers(who i originally sent her). both were furious and said they'll never shop with her again. good.
i believe in karma so just have to let it go. the universe will take care of that. it's over.

so anyway, now i'm scrambling for what to use. the wood was to be the long counter, the shower bench and one artsy leg on the 'his' vessel sink stand.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 4:09AM
mefor
I believe in karma too, she'll get hers. How disgusting and completely unethical. Amazing how someone can think that's good business. Greed is very ugly, and that's a pretty ugly situation right there. Is there anywhere else you can source a piece like that? Or perhaps some kind if an antique furniture piece could be used for sink, something quite unique. I guess an interesting piece of stone could be used as bench, maybe a really interesting piece of soapstone, with loads of veining. So different than the typical marbles, granites and quartz. Or perhaps an interesting piece of onyx, might be doable to get something more exotic if it's only a teeny piece, you should go haunt the remnant area in stone retailers, you never know what you might find. Sandstone, limestone. Go and play!!! :)
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 4:19AM
mousemaker
i'm part of another universe :) where if you want to make sure someone sees your post (other than responding to yours) you can "earburn" them. It's just putting their name in brackets and then in paren. you put "person"...it's nice because otherwise you miss personal stuff.
On here, I have to go back and read and scroll and it's annoying :)
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 9:55AM
mousemaker
let's see. DIAspoton, that's a great idea about pictures. I did have a chance to take a photo but I didn't think of it. I was upstairs and looking out the window, but I had my phone in hand.
I did call the cops immediately but the Huns were too far ahead and disappeared into the bars. We invited him to sit on our porch for the evening and watch for vandals.
Mforr, I love those shelves, but there is a bench seat in the dining room and it would be taller.
I wouldn't mind having it outside though.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 9:58AM
mousemaker
i can't keep a cactus alive either. everyone says it's easy. oh hahaha not for moi!!
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 10:00AM
mousemaker
DIAspoton, so sorry about your experience! can you take her to small claims court?
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 10:00AM
mefor
Mouse, if you go to "your houzz" up top, you can view your activity, all the threads that you're a part of will show updates, so you can see when someone else adds to the conversation. Didn't you think it was weird how I could answer you so quickly? I'm not hanging around peeking in your window looking to see if you post to our conversations, lol. I don't have notifications turned on, because I hated having all these emails coming that didn't even interest me anymore. So this way, I can see at a glance. Sometimes you miss a couple if you check very infrequently, but most of the time I see when something posts. Try it, you'll like it!!! :)
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 10:02AM
mefor
I think they do different heights and configurations. Just thought of it when I saw that wonderful display of plants. Do you have any tuberous begonias inside? Lovely and delicate, as they grow, they almost take on the look of an Asian painting.
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 10:05AM
mousemaker
thanks mforr, I have looked at that but I forget to use it. I think earburning is more fun :)
sorry to say that i had not even wondered about your quick answers. i am not tuned in :)
i don't have any begonias, but i do love them! they are just like a painting :)
it's dark and rainy today and i need to grocery shop (i am so tired of grocery shopping)
I planted bulbs yesterday and my arms hurt all night. maybe that's why i had nightmares? :)
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 10:26AM
mefor
Here's a few pics of tuberous begonias. :)
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 10:27AM
mefor
:)
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 10:27AM
mefor
If you're like me, you had nightmares thinking about those darned squirrels looking for the bulbs. Grrrrrr, they are so bad.
Hope these begonia pics make your arms and heart lighter :)
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 10:29AM
mefor
Ditto on the grocery shopping, unless it's a fun trip to a gourmet market, with all sorts of interesting things, just a stroll and a get what you feel like kind of trip, no shopping lists and toilet paper :D
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 10:31AM
mousemaker
I do love the begonias...sigh...:) I have tried to grow them but they don't like me. I do have African violets who do like me, does that count? :) Can't quite propagate them, but I will keep trying.
Thanks for posting those. they are lovely.
I am deciding between the close store and the further store (who am I kidding? it's not that far) because I feel lazy...seems like I am always always at the grocery store. and I have stocks of things, but I run out of milk and god forbid I be out of ice cream :)
1 Like   Thanked by mefor    October 15, 2013 at 10:37AM
mefor
Do not run out of ice cream, I repeat, do not run out of ice cream. Yum :)
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 11:24AM
mousemaker
lol I couldn't talk myself into going to my ice cream store..so I went to the close one and got too much stuff. We were out of fun essentials :) like wine, brandy, popcorn..hmm what does that say about us? :) too much Netflix, anyone?
I did go to the library though and I got a pile of garden books. It's what makes me happy.
oh and the big hot news from today, you ask? :) Forestry came by and said my tree can be saved!!!!!! whoo hooo!!! they put new poles and cables on it and it should be fine. So much for hubby!!! "oh it's dead" ...ha!!
2 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 2:18PM
mefor
Mouse, that's great news. :)
I'm not sure what is wrong with that shopping list? Sounds good to me ;D hahaha
I love gardening books as well. Big, thick full of gorgeous photos and wonderful names.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 2:21PM
mefor
Mousy, poor Margo has posted a dilemma, I hope you'll go on and help her with some of her issues. I'm sure she would really appreciate it
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/689519/Random-craziness
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 2:26PM
jen046
Margo has a dilemma. This should be fun!
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 3:51PM
mefor
Mo, Margo posted this for someone on a discussion, I kind of like the natural look to it, it's rainforest green marble. Maybe worth a look?
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 6:16PM
DIAspoton
Michele, i had a sample of forest green. so good looking. but the colors just con't work with my house. the wall tiles are 12 x 24 marble look porcelain. spent the day putting out fires unrelated to the house. my contractor found some wood he wants me to see.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 8:15PM
Linda
I love those tuberous begonias...and so do my squirrels. I tried them one year and the squirrels absolutely shredded the plant
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 8:33PM
Will 11 x 14 inch frame hold a 11 x 14 inch mat for an 8 x 10 photo
Or should I buy another size for a 11 x 14 mat. Thank...
rjscheier
OLLD 10/10
Good morning, everyone! What's happening today, anything...
kimdee24
skkochhar
Do you have this rug in 8 x 10, 9 x 12 and 10 x 14 ?
Do you have this rug in 8 x 10, 9 x 12 or 10 x 14
ofor39
need help to change my living room
i need a new look,maybe paint the walls, new curtains...
alphons3k
New curved sofa: keep it or sell it?
I started to decorate the living room of my new house....
irenale
Where do you hang your holiday stockings?
If you hang stockings to be filled with treats and...
Bar height or Counter height home bar?
We're remodeling our great room into a game room with...
Jennifer Wood
Boring windows
Since I have moved in 4 years ago the front of my house...
pammareid