Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine_md

Need help! Kitchen/Dining room paint color

christine_md
10 years ago
My kitchen has pale yellow cabinets which I don't especially like, but cannot change. My kitchen and dining room walls are a pale yellowish ivory, and the floors are blond maple. Countertops are gold/brown/black granite. It's very monochromatic and blah. Looking for a perfect wall color to tie everything together. I have an open floor plan and am painting the adjacent living room a bright gallery white. Any suggestions for kitchen and dining room paint color appreciated. Please help!!

Comments (16)

• christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Or any other suggestions for things I haven't thought of are appreciated. Sorry about the clutter in these photos. I should probably reshoot, but try and look past it for now. Thanks!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    What about repainting the cabinets ?!?! They are so pretty ! What a lovely room!! :-)
    christine_md thanked OnePlan
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Green walls (lighter version of vase)and navy accents on island and lamp shades would give you a balance of tones. The drapery treatment could then be lightened w a coordinating print. Rug under the table could be bigger, and cushion is another good place for a shot of colour.
    christine_md thanked studio10001
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't think it would be a good idea to repaint the cabinets because they are very expensive and custom (and new). I think repainting would look a little shoddy. Maybe just repainting the Island would help? I'm hoping a new wall color would do the trick, but can't decide which way to go.
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks for the dining room tips @studio10001! Great suggestions. I do want to keep black though, I have black accents throughout the house, and I am a contemporary fine art painter and use lots of blacks in my work. More green is a great idea, I am also thinking about bringing in a marigold color, maybe in the chair cushions.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    My pleasure. I should qualify by pointing to the chandy, not the buffet shades -every room should have some black, to my mind. As an artist you may find it more useful to look at the photos of your space, rather than the room itself, to determine how best to gradate and contrast the current extremes. Hope you will post your results.
    christine_md thanked studio10001
  • PRO
    Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
    10 years ago
    You have some wonderful architecture in this space but they do not show up well. This is a challenge with open floor plans and a monochromatic color scheme. Strategically infusing some color will help to bring out these features. I understand that painting all of your cabinetry is not an option. But, you could just paint your island or the prominent cabinets over the stove. There are also some other opportunities for infusion of color: 1) The wall against the stove could be painted an accent color. This would accentuate the interesting lines of the ceiling and the different height cabinetry. 2) Recover the bench seat in a bright color or even paint the chairs around the table. 3) Bring in a fun accent color via the accessories. . . on the counter, above the cabinets, area rugs, on the console table, place mats, lampshades, etc. These are quick and easy ways to add personality.
    christine_md thanked Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @KassWilson, all great ideas. I had planned to paint the kitchen and dining room walls a mid-tone greige, but after finding this photo online today I kind of changed my mind. Too much contrast kind of throws off the space in a weird way.
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A more monochromatic palette does open the space, here's an example I found. I do want to change the wall color. Maybe a 'bright' white would add a little contrast but not too much??
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    or another option: really commit to the yellow (or gold). see example:
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @studio10001, once I figure this out I'll definitely post some pics, thx
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, @libradesigneye, I have to pull out my BM fan deck and look these colors up. A designer friend was suggesting BM 1076 Capilano Bridge or BM HC77 Alexandria Beige for the Kitchen/DR walls. But I'm just thinking the contrast will be too extreme after seeing the photo I posted above. Thanks for your suggestions, very helpful. I'll check them out :)
  • christine_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    btw, the cabinets are a dead on match to BM373 Yellow Iris
  • c304531
    9 years ago
    Get rid of backsplash and replace it with dynamic tile back splash. Its beautiful the way it is just needs a step up
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Old post