Need help! Kitchen/Dining room paint color
christine_md
My kitchen has pale yellow cabinets which I don't especially like, but cannot change. My kitchen and dining room walls are a pale yellowish ivory, and the floors are blond maple. Countertops are gold/brown/black granite. It's very monochromatic and blah. Looking for a perfect wall color to tie everything together. I have an open floor plan and am painting the adjacent living room a bright gallery white. Any suggestions for kitchen and dining room paint color appreciated. Please help!!
christine_md
Or any other suggestions for things I haven't thought of are appreciated. Sorry about the clutter in these photos. I should probably reshoot, but try and look past it for now. Thanks!
October 14, 2013 at 7:06am   
OnePlan
What about repainting the cabinets ?!?! They are so pretty ! What a lovely room!! :-)
October 14, 2013 at 9:03am        Thanked by christine_md
studio10001
Green walls (lighter version of vase)and navy accents on island and lamp shades would give you a balance of tones. The drapery treatment could then be lightened w a coordinating print. Rug under the table could be bigger, and cushion is another good place for a shot of colour.
October 14, 2013 at 9:11am        Thanked by christine_md
christine_md
I don't think it would be a good idea to repaint the cabinets because they are very expensive and custom (and new). I think repainting would look a little shoddy. Maybe just repainting the Island would help? I'm hoping a new wall color would do the trick, but can't decide which way to go.
October 14, 2013 at 9:12am     
christine_md
thanks for the dining room tips @studio10001! Great suggestions. I do want to keep black though, I have black accents throughout the house, and I am a contemporary fine art painter and use lots of blacks in my work. More green is a great idea, I am also thinking about bringing in a marigold color, maybe in the chair cushions.
October 14, 2013 at 9:16am     
studio10001
My pleasure. I should qualify by pointing to the chandy, not the buffet shades -every room should have some black, to my mind. As an artist you may find it more useful to look at the photos of your space, rather than the room itself, to determine how best to gradate and contrast the current extremes. Hope you will post your results.
October 14, 2013 at 9:46am        Thanked by christine_md
Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
You have some wonderful architecture in this space but they do not show up well. This is a challenge with open floor plans and a monochromatic color scheme. Strategically infusing some color will help to bring out these features. I understand that painting all of your cabinetry is not an option. But, you could just paint your island or the prominent cabinets over the stove. There are also some other opportunities for infusion of color: 1) The wall against the stove could be painted an accent color. This would accentuate the interesting lines of the ceiling and the different height cabinetry. 2) Recover the bench seat in a bright color or even paint the chairs around the table. 3) Bring in a fun accent color via the accessories. . . on the counter, above the cabinets, area rugs, on the console table, place mats, lampshades, etc. These are quick and easy ways to add personality.
October 14, 2013 at 9:50am        Thanked by christine_md
christine_md
@KassWilson, all great ideas. I had planned to paint the kitchen and dining room walls a mid-tone greige, but after finding this photo online today I kind of changed my mind. Too much contrast kind of throws off the space in a weird way.
October 14, 2013 at 10:09am   
christine_md
A more monochromatic palette does open the space, here's an example I found. I do want to change the wall color. Maybe a 'bright' white would add a little contrast but not too much??
October 14, 2013 at 10:11am     
christine_md
or another option: really commit to the yellow (or gold). see example:
October 14, 2013 at 10:12am   
christine_md
@studio10001, once I figure this out I'll definitely post some pics, thx
October 14, 2013 at 10:13am     
Here's another view - if you are set on the space next door being a true white, I want to encourage you to shift that to a spanish white / old white / monterrey white - it will help the whole house flow better. Your cabinets do not look yellow to me but warm white -
Since that is a warm palette and you like cool (black and white were mentioned) , take a look at a couple of different grays that have warm green undertones - the soft one for the walls bm spanish olive http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/spanisholive or bm gray mirage
and the deep one for your island or a sideboard you can paint http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/louisburggreen

They both have the same undertone, but one you almost wouldn't think was green and the casework color, while definitely green will resonate - look at the pairings that bm uses - cream and brown for the kitchen tops, and in the living room, look at the pairing with white and brick red - they show marble white. This is probably white enough for the look that you want, and creamy enough to help the color flow . . . and black will work with all of this much better than something in a classic french gray family . . .

the green undertone neutrals do something like nature in a room, bring warmth, but stay quiet and go with all . . . . there are usually terrific fabrics with this green and black
October 14, 2013 at 10:27am        Thanked by christine_md
christine_md
Wow, @libradesigneye, I have to pull out my BM fan deck and look these colors up. A designer friend was suggesting BM 1076 Capilano Bridge or BM HC77 Alexandria Beige for the Kitchen/DR walls. But I'm just thinking the contrast will be too extreme after seeing the photo I posted above. Thanks for your suggestions, very helpful. I'll check them out :)
October 14, 2013 at 10:41am   
christine_md
btw, the cabinets are a dead on match to BM373 Yellow Iris
October 14, 2013 at 10:43am   
Need help with what color to paint my living room/ kitchen/dining room
It is a large room with a cathedral ceiling. The cabinets,...
Need help with paint color in new kitchen/dining room
We just renovated our kitchen/dining room (hardwood...
Need help picking paint color for my kitchen/dining room
The rooms are smaller so we don't want to feel closed...
Need Help with Paint Colours for Kitchen/Dining Room/Living Room
Hi everyone, We just bought our first house and...
How can we minimize this door?
We'd like to cover this wall and the cabinets beneath...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
Seeking HELP with Furniture Layout
I am building a new Waterfront Summer Home. Lot set...
teeny closet ... can I fix this?
Very small master bedroom ... two small closets ......
New set up for living room
Need some help on what sofa set up to get with this...