Door color
Roger Burns
Finishing up our cottage and have 2 doors to paint. South gets full exposure and opens onto a deck. The north or formal entry door is surrounded by cedar shake. Otherwise whole cottage is monochromatic slate grey. Was thinking high gloss black for both but concerned about scuffs and blistering. Open to any suggestion. Was considering a brass or brushed aluminum kick plate also.
Maryam Alborzi
I suggest to choose the lightest grey of the roof for the doors.
I also like the idea of black.
October 14, 2013 at 8:20pm        Thanked by Roger Burns
G-Town Tex
How about a pop of color?
October 14, 2013 at 8:22pm        Thanked by Roger Burns
candies1
How about burgundy or red?
October 14, 2013 at 8:30pm        Thanked by Roger Burns
schomeowner
I suggest Benjamin Moore's "Dinner Party"
October 14, 2013 at 8:36pm     
Marcia
I think a nice shade of sage green would look good.
October 14, 2013 at 8:43pm     
karemore55
This would be my pick - Anjou Pear by S-W.
October 14, 2013 at 8:48pm     
Roger Burns
Thanks so much. These are the imaginations I need to play with. It's tough to work with the wood, and the grey. I have a red on my White House that looks good so color is welcome. Is there a paint company software that lets you play with color changes to door?
October 14, 2013 at 9:37pm   
Will you let the cedar shake go gray / weather / stain it like driftwood or is it your intention that it remain natural? The dijon tone is a fun one -test also sw bees wax if you like that idea also turquoise blue would be amazing - try sw gulfstream

one small note - are those posts that hold up the gable over the front door termporary? if not, proportions need beefing up - can square up and trim columns out.
October 14, 2013 at 10:12pm     
karemore55
Roger, I have both Behr and Sherwin-Williams apps on my iPad - I'm sure there's a desk top version. Word of warning - I still haven't really figured either of them out, so IMO not very user friendly. Even my 15 year old daughter wasn't able to help me, and you know it's just in their DNA by now lol. Hopefully, you will have better luck!
October 14, 2013 at 10:29pm     
Roger Burns
Do front and back doors need to match color?
I do think the posts will beef up - do I finish in cedar shake or 2x6 wrap?
Also thinking I will treat cedar to keep the clean look..
October 18, 2013 at 7:33am   
Roger Burns
Karen . Love your comment about your kids being stumped by the software! Will give it a whirl and see how I do. Thanks for the tip
October 18, 2013 at 7:35am   
creeser
I like the idea of a dark green. Compliments the colors of the house, but goes with the woodsy feel of the lot.
October 18, 2013 at 7:36am     
Roger Burns
Dark green to door or cedar. Hadn't thought of green but seems very logical
October 18, 2013 at 7:40am   
karemore55
Roger, I would wrap the posts in 2X6 and paint same color as siding. I like the idea of preserving the gold color of the shakes. Personally, I don't care for the weathered cedar look,but especially in your case where that gold tone is working so well with the green siding.

No, your front and back door colors don't need to match. If it was me, I would do the back door one shade lighter than the siding, and leave the punch color for the front door.
October 18, 2013 at 10:09am     
karemore55
Roger, I hadn't looked at your pics in awhile and, looking at them once again, I cant decide which you are calling the front door! We always had this argument (friendly) when we owned a cottage, and was the lakeside the front, or the side where you drive up the back? I'm now a little undecided here because you have the "approach" side which should be attractive, and the lake side where you will spend most of your time. I still think you can use two different colors, but maybe I wouldn't default to the two-shades-lighter idea. It seems a little blah for an area where you will spend a lot of time. If you have patio furniture or a patio umbrella with a specific color you can pull from that, this could be your door color for the lake side. It's perfectly OK to use the door color as part of the design!
October 18, 2013 at 10:15am     
Mark Levy Studio
Roger,
Your cottage looks like a real gem.
One of the great things about front doors is that they can either be finished to match a color/finish found on the interior or exterior of the home, or they can be a perfect location to add an accent of color. You could go with any shade of green to tie into the beautiful surrounding vegetation, or go with a bold color choice like red to make a design statement.
The only real limitation is your imagination for the space. Please keep us posted on your final decision...I know you have many comments here to help you make your own! Good luck!
October 18, 2013 at 10:20am     
Roger Burns
Thank you everyone. This is soon helpful. And your professional input is very appreciated and very respected. Thanks!

Front door has gravel approach, back is large deck. And now that I think of it that makes no sense! Oh well - the privilege of ownership!!

I prefer to sustain the clear new finish to shakes and look to find a product to help that.

This fall I will chub up the posts.
Q. Vertical or narrowing tower shape???
October 19, 2013 at 6:31am   
rdowellsubway
Needs a pop of color and beef up those posts!
October 19, 2013 at 6:52am     
Roger Burns
Ransoms of the almost finished cottage
October 19, 2013 at 7:12am     
Bedbury Realtors
Brushed aluminum kick plate
October 19, 2013 at 7:18am     
Bedbury Realtors
Use high gloss black paint for the door. It will balance and ground the left side of the home. A "color" May detract from the design element you have going on. You can never go wrong with black! Make sure the door is professionally painted and done by hand door high gloss!
October 19, 2013 at 7:20am     
karemore55
Roger, Beautiful cottage and property. We used to have a cottage on Sylvan Lake in Alberta and had a very similar lot (medium bank). I still see a Dijon color on front and back as I think it will blend very well with the natural surroundings, and look especially awesome in the autumn! I also like the idea of a pop of color since cottages,don't usually have flower beds or other hits of contrast - just lots of shades of green - and black when they're in the shadows.
October 19, 2013 at 10:02am     
Sustainable Dwellings
What a great place!
October 19, 2013 at 10:06am     
Vertical posts, no taper 2 x 8 wrap + 1 x 14 trim / bottom 1 x 12 top chamfer traditional/ straight better w lines.

Doors are easy to paint - try anything and switch later. K is right about her gold, though I would say more of a chartreuse green - a green that will still give you the contemporary pop against both elements but also resonate with the gold in the wood tone. Or paint a red w some orange in it to pick up the warm orange undertone of wood - sw fireweed is a great option there. I will come back w some specifics.
October 19, 2013 at 12:38pm     
Roger Burns
Libra thanks for the design ideas for post. Have no real saw skill but looking forward to tackling. Looks simple enough. Go with cedar to all materials? Or a harder wood and stain?
October 19, 2013 at 12:56pm   
Cedar - and here, I went looking at colors and had an ephiphany. What about purple? Just like the orange of the wood is halfway between the primaries red and yellow, purple is halfway between red and blue. It will echo the gray in depth but provide contrast and the modern pop - you could pick a very blue-violet like iris but the one I pulled is sw izmir purple. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6825-izmir-purple/
October 19, 2013 at 1:29pm     
Allproqualitypainting Painting
Anjou Pear by S-W. is fine ,like karemore said ,aura is good , exterior semigloss.
October 19, 2013 at 1:34pm     
indianpatti
Love Karemore's idea of Anjou Pear!
October 19, 2013 at 1:43pm     
jt6512
I would go for a glorious Orange color. Not a pumpkin color, but perhaps a deeper orange/red. I saw a similar color combo at a resort on the Jersey Shore.The doors where a great orange and there was stone and natural materials. Really great look. Try: Raucous Orange, Daredevil or Energetic Orange by Sherwin Wiliams.
October 19, 2013 at 1:53pm     
Shipping container doors for home or office
Now working on a project for an individual who does...
Help I need a new roof and landscaping ideas!
After a ton of ice and snow damage we need to replace...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Need advice for DR Chairs
I would like to add two more chairs at the ends of...