Odd open space in stone above fireplace. What do i do with this?!
Isaac Leestma
Just bought my first home. Everything is great, except two things, both of which are seen in the pictures. The first, is the horrid forest green in the living area. That's a quick fix, just paint over it; i'm thinking a cool grey.

The second problem. There is a large area recessed into the stone above the fireplace, where there isn't any stone, just drywall. I have no idea what to put in that spot. The open area measures 8'x4.5'

Ideas include, a mirror, a mirror with framing through it, to mimic the adjacent windows, a painting of some sort, a tapestry; i've even played with the idea of filling it with contrasting stacked limestone, or equivalent stone.

Any ideas????
Isaac Leestma
It should be added that i am looking for a solution that doesn't become the complete focal point of the room, i want something that looks good, but doesn't take attention from everything else in the room.
October 15, 2013 at 10:45am   
A&E Construction
I would go with a painting or tapestry. I think since that wall is predominated by windows (great natural lighting btw!), a painting or tapestry would balance it out better than a mirror. Plus you could try and look for something that further compliments the stonework of your fireplace.
October 15, 2013 at 10:45am   
HI -- You could go to a shop that has stone/brick/tile displays and see if there is anything you like and see what they would do with this space. What is your style going to be for this room --- do you want something modern or rustic ? For rustic , you could clad the whole wall and the opening in the distressed wood look . But you will still need to hang a décor item in the opening . Or for a modern finish you could wallpaper the whole wall and opening in a grass cloth texture and still need a décor piece . I think I would - if budget allowed , just re- stone the whole fireplace ,filling in and not having that space . A stacked ledge stone with it's horizontal texture would bring down the visual height . If this is all too much , then you could just paint the whole room a color that will go with the stone -space too - and then hang a big something there -- which could be an old door or a prominent grained panel of wood or a big grandfather wall clock or a floor leaning mirror or some pressed tin ceiling tiles/panels or anything interesting , - I could go on forever with this .
October 15, 2013 at 11:04am   
karemore55
I would paint that niche the darkest color of the surrounding stone, then hang a vertical piece of art in there. Not sure about mirror idea, since you have all those windows on the same wall.
October 15, 2013 at 11:06am     
Isaac Leestma
Great ideas so far, keep em coming please!! I'm going for a more modern, chic look, if that is of any help
October 15, 2013 at 11:18am   
mlou72
A mirror would balance the whole room and keep it light.
October 15, 2013 at 11:25am   
Isaac Leestma
maybe something involving wood? Wood, stone and glass are always neat together, and i clearly have two of the three..... I want to blend this space effectively. Currently, with nothing in there, when you walk in the living room, you can't help but think, "boy that sticks out, and what is that doing there?" So i'm looking for a solution that does away with that.
October 15, 2013 at 11:50am   
A huge tapestry. Cover most of wall.
October 15, 2013 at 12:21pm   
adamwayland
A great spot to feature some very modern art. Install a valance on the inside of the brick, light it with LED strip and then paint the back to pop. Add your art and this space makes a great statement.

Adding too many brick/stone textures in one small area makes it seem like your covering something up.
October 15, 2013 at 1:24pm   
carolins
I'm wondering if you could remove the stone from the top part?
October 15, 2013 at 1:39pm   
jenpotts
I agree with removing the stone on the top. I don't know if it's just me, but the sides look like they are uneven width. Or just box it all in.
You have a lovely wall of windows, which I think would look great with full height curtains.
October 15, 2013 at 1:52pm     
North Star Stone
You could add a light, contrasting stone veneer to fill in the center, or possibly create a stone veneer to match your existing stone style. Congratulations on the new house!
October 15, 2013 at 1:55pm   
nancyann0277a
Cover it over with gyproc (spelling maybe wrong) and then paint same as your other walls.
October 15, 2013 at 3:46pm   
vkilpatrick
Place artwork on a piano hinge-then you can hide your millions there.
;-D
Love the dark paint and art idea-would frame the area nicely!
October 16, 2013 at 5:23am   
Judy M
You could have a contrasting material like tile or brick or have a custom wrought iron piece made.

October 16, 2013 at 5:35am   
Tres McKinney Design
Fill in with the same stone or paint it the darkest color in the surrounding stone and fill the space with a large scaled tapestry or paining. That said - Lord - Please protect us from contractor would be architects designing spec homes grand gestures that leave the buyers to deal with very expensive and often unsatisfactory solutions to mitigate their design mistakes. Eliminate the too short drapes and leave the windows exposed, instead add exterior landscape lighting so the garden is illuminated at night and the windows are not just black panes of glass ( you have a beautiful garden view). If you must have window coverings then they need to be full length (from the ceiling and yes costly thanks to the builder) and stack to the left and right of the fireplace and be motorized so you can open and close them. Paint all the walls the same color. Accent walls in this situation only distract and chop up the space.
June 20, 2014 at 9:18pm     
bgfuqua
older post
June 20, 2014 at 10:20pm   
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
Help with outdoor light selection
Hi - I am looking for advice on outdoor light selections...
Knotty alder cabinets are having blotchy stain appearance, help.
We applied different Sherwin William stains to our...
Need help locating this brick!!
We would like to add on to our home, however, our local...